did the Romans really learn us how to build roads?

my understanding is that the romans made some contributions to the
development of concrete. They, by no means, 'invented" the idea of
reinforced building materials----- the idea evolved over millennia

They developed a hydraulic concrete that could be used underwater, for their ports, and refined other types. They were excellent organizers and at engineering and copying others designs and tweaking them as need arose. Their first run-ins with the Carthaginians resulted in their become good shipbuilders almost overnight and building a large navy in a short time. Romans were defeated many times, but they were tenacious bulldogs and learned from mistakes quickly. They went into decline when their birthrates in the 'home regions' fell off, their economy became based on buying luxury imports for the wealthy and hemorrhaged, and they had to rely more and more on 'barbarian' mercenaries, a familiar pattern historically, not just for Rome.

yes---the ROMANS DID adopt the technology of the peoples they conqured and
enslaved------
As actual INNOVATORS----nope---not much-----they built an empire based on conquest and chattel slavery and barbarism-------and developed the legal code that
their true son ADOLF HITLER aped
----every society is right now and then---
the US slave system of the southern cotton industry -----SPAWNED THE COTTON
GIN<<<< a very important innovation. The US slave system also spawned the
Civil War and its filth still infiltrates all of USA society and-----to some extent----THE
WORLD

can accept that the Romans maybe ARRANGED for some roads to be built, but to say that we NEEDED the Romans to TEACH us how to build them straight, is really proposterous IMO. I mean, how hard can it BE to build a straight road ffs!!!???

I dont buy into that bullshit about what the bleedin Romans did for us.
Them Romans were nothing but parasites who took advantage of a peaceful bunch of people. They were no cleverer than anyone else, they were just more corrupted than the rest.

Who says we needed the Romans to teach us? They didn't invent them. In fact, I cannot think of anything they invented. They put ditches on the sides so the roads weren't flooded out and they built, often, on already existing paths. Their main objective was being able to transport goods and the military in the fasted way possible.

And.....many of those people's weren't all love, peace and chicken grease.

You might want to read some Roman history. Rome was the greatest empire, and the US is designed after the roman empire.
And we're going crash and burn the same way

Most likely, will it be a inward crash or from another global power. I think inward.
We will be the architects of our own doom

The romans "learned us" to "MAKE OFFERS THAT CANNOT BE REFUSED"---to be precise------the skill first developed in the southern parts of the home of Rome---
tp wit ITALY----during the moosrish invasion of that area

can accept that the Romans maybe ARRANGED for some roads to be built, but to say that we NEEDED the Romans to TEACH us how to build them straight, is really proposterous IMO. I mean, how hard can it BE to build a straight road ffs!!!???

Them Romans were nothing but parasites who took advantage of a peaceful bunch of people. They were no cleverer than anyone else, they were just more corrupted than the rest.

All I have to say is this.....

Make offers that cannot be refused.

nope ----Moorish occupied Sicily invented the idea

I know they occupied Sicily but that concept existed prior to that time period.

the MAFIA-----the spawn of the "BLACK HAND" was invented in MOORISH OCCUPIED SICILY-----as a reaction TO MOORISH BARBARISM. does your
"concept" mean "offer that cannot be refused"? -------a kinda too broad to have
meaning kinda statement on your part.......

Which peaceful people are you talking about??
I have no precise idea, but i assume i meant northern European types. I can correlate that i meant this, by looking at the gentle nature of them today.

I mean they are socially mean but dislike conflict.

Europeans?! Bad joke.

the MAFIA-----the spawn of the "BLACK HAND" was invented in MOORISH OCCUPIED SICILY-----as a reaction TO MOORISH BARBARISM. does your

Cite your source. Mafia as a word does not an invention make.

google the history of BLACK HAND----in sicily. For the use of the term 'OFFER THAT CANNOT BE REFUSED" ask Francis Ford Coppola

google the history of BLACK HAND----in sicily. For the use of the term 'OFFER THAT CANNOT BE REFUSED" ask Francis Ford Coppola

Cite your source.

Extortion, gambling, kidnapping, prostitution and drug rings and "offers that cannot be refused" existed prior to the Moors in Sicily.

Cite your source.

I just cited----GOOGLE

Cite your source.

I just cited----GOOGLE

Just so we are clear. It means enough for you to argue but not enough to back up.

As a note, the Black Hand was famous in the States, allegedly out of Naples, but it started here. Louisiana and New York in the 1880s.

And while I am at it.............no, the US government is not based on Rome, the Roman Republic, the Roman empire.

yes---the ROMANS DID adopt the technology of the peoples they conqured and
enslaved------

Actually they inherited a lot of it, from rulers who willed their kingdoms to them. All cultures enslaved people they conquered, and were doing so long before the Romans came along. They were pretty tame relative to many others in the area.

As actual INNOVATORS----nope---not much-----they built an empire based on conquest and chattel slavery and barbarism-------and developed the legal code that
their true son ADOLF HITLER aped
----every society is right now and then---
the US slave system of the southern cotton industry -----SPAWNED THE COTTON
GIN<<<< a very important innovation. The US slave system also spawned the
Civil War and its filth still infiltrates all of USA society and-----to some extent----THE
WORLD

A lot of drama, and inaccurate, but whatever rings your bell.

Last edited:

You, and others, might like this book:

The First Family: Terror, Extortion, Revenge, Murder and The Birth of the American Mafia: Mike Dash: 9780345523570: Amazon.com: Books

It's a genuine history, not just a sensationalist repeat of the usual mythology one finds in 'gangster' pulp stuff. From one review:

"Most people familiar with the mob have likely never heard or read of Morello as he predates the Five Families by a couple of decades. Dash recounts how Morello scratched and clawed his way to success in New York City through an array of illegitimate businesses by the time he was gunned down in 1930. By the time of his demise a number of families had come to replicate his method of operations not just in New York City, but throughout the nation and beyond, becoming the template for how to organize and operate effectively. More importantly Dash strips away the layers of rumor, hearsay, innuendo, and recycled errors that so many other writers take as gospel regarding the Mafia and seeks the straight up truth. Dash seeks the truth from the most reliable public records and then sets about building the story from there; the result is a captivating, direct, and honest story that is truly stranger than fiction. Set aside what you THINK you know about the Mafia and read this instead!"

It also covers how the Camorra were pushed out or absorbed by the Sicilians, a little told story re their U.S. history that I found interesting. It's the best early history I've found, anyway, and stands alongside The Gangs of New York and Gangs of Chicago as good reads.

Other interesting stuff is what paper money and banking was like before the Federal Reserve came along, with counterfeiting being a major problem. Much of the info in the book on the earliest mafioso comes from the efforts of a Treasury agent tracking down an Italian counterfeiting ring; enlightening stuff on its own that almost nobody today is aware of. Store keepers used to have to buy books with pictures of most of the paper currencies every year in order to recognize counterfeits of the wide variety of bank notes and what to look for, and even then it was fairly easy to pass, especially small bills.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back