Did Somalia embolden Al Queda?

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
Absotively - Posolutely - has to be there over night (oops my age is showing;) )

LOL I do remember! Kev though couldn't seem to get to a point and I missed the joke!

Sorry, it was a question, not a statement.
I'm not sure how much clearer I could have made it.
So I'll guess I'll have to make a statement.
After the "black hawk down" incident & the subsequent dragging of the dead soldiers bodies through Mogadishu, President Clinton withdrew the troops from Somalia.
Bin laden said this:

"They participated with their brothers in Somalia against the American occupation troops & killed large numbers of them. The American administration was aware of that. After a little resistance, the American troops left achieving nothing. They left after claiming they were the largest power on earth.

http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/bin-laden-al-queda.html

Bin laden, after this, believed America had no stomach for a fight & decided to up the ante.
The consequence of this was 9/11.
Appeasement leads to greater violence.

Originally posted by kev8864
Sorry, it was a question, not a statement.
I'm not sure how much clearer I could have made it.
So I'll guess I'll have to make a statement.
After the "black hawk down" incident & the subsequent dragging of the dead soldiers bodies through Mogadishu, President Clinton withdrew the troops from Somalia.
Bin laden said this:

"They participated with their brothers in Somalia against the American occupation troops & killed large numbers of them. The American administration was aware of that. After a little resistance, the American troops left achieving nothing. They left after claiming they were the largest power on earth.

http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/bin-laden-al-queda.html

Bin laden, after this, believed America had no stomach for a fight & decided to up the ante.
The consequence of this was 9/11.
Appeasement leads to greater violence.

Very good, exactly. Yes, I believe this emboldened bin Laden. So too, Mr. Carter's handling of the Iranian hostage crisis, 444 Days? What was that???

If I were him I'd feel like the response on the USS Cole bombing, was just an invitation to do something bigger. He took us up on it, just wrong guy was president on 9/11...

I don't know how many times I have to state this, PJ, but the goal of Desert Storm was to liberate Kuwait - NOT Iraq! God, that gets old.

As far as Somalia, yes. By pulling out after taking some losses, we appeared to all of our enemies as weak and having no stomach for a fight. Therefore, all they had to do was bloody our nose and we'd flee the scene.

I read many interviews from our military troops that were there, every one of them was enraged that they were pulled back. They wanted to finish the job and kill those that killed their brothers. Essentially, the lost American lives there were in vain. Nothing was accomplished except for the enemy that secured a major coup by making the most mighty military in the world back down.

Watch the History Channel some time when they're playing 'The true story of Blackhawk Down'. They interviewed a scummy little rat bastard with rotten teeth that was laughing about how the Americans were killed & dragged through the streets. He bragged about how they defeated the Americans and they would never come back to fight them. This was just a local shitbag, imagine the celebrations that were going on at Al Qaeda's HQ.

Somalia should have been hammered, and hard. Nothing like having a weak President that 'loathed the military' running the show. He had absolutely no concept of these matters.

IMHO, the mishandling of Mogadishu was yet another crucial piece of the path to 9/11.

Night Train, :clap: :clap: :clap:

I read many interviews from our military troops that were there, every one of them was enraged that they were pulled back. They wanted to finish the job and kill those that killed their brothers. Essentially, the lost American lives there were in vain. Nothing was accomplished except for the enemy that secured a major coup by making the most mighty military in the world back down.

Luckily we don't have a 'weak' president this time around, but I think some of the Marines in Falluja feel a similar problem was made there. Hope they get that straitened out.

I agree that Mogadishu was another step in bin Laden's growing confidence.

respect to the dead but

reagan's pullout of marines from lebanon after the terror attacks emboldened terrorists as well, and i'm sure marines were pissed about having to leave there as well

Originally posted by NATO AIR
respect to the dead but

reagan's pullout of marines from lebanon after the terror attacks emboldened terrorists as well, and i'm sure marines were pissed about having to leave there as well

I think I mentioned Beirut earlier, but yes, I agree.

Forum List

Back