Did Moses, Jesus, or Mohammed charge admission to hear their sermons?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Simple question. Did anyone in religious texts ever charge people to listen to them? If not, why do so many today?

11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it so great a thing if we should reap your worldly things?

12 If others are partakers of this power over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this power, but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the Gospel of Christ.

13 Do ye not know that those who minister concerning holy things live of the things of the temple, and those who wait upon the altar are partakers with the altar?

14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that those who preach the Gospel should live from the Gospel.
1 Corinthians 9:11-14

Given what Jesus did at the Jewish temple with the money-changers, if he could google "bibles" (select shopping) he'd have a psychotic break.

It isn't about the Word any more, it's about making money. That's why atheism is gaining in popularity. Doesn't take a PhD. to see how religion's gone commercial.

this is GOD'S WORD not my word!!!===11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it so great a thing if we should reap your worldly things?

12 If others are partakers of this power over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this power, but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the Gospel of Christ.

13 Do ye not know that those who minister concerning holy things live of the things of the temple, and those who wait upon the altar are partakers with the altar?

14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that those who preach the Gospel should live from the Gospel.

God and its will is not found in any synagogue, church, or mosque. Building buildings is relatively new, so did God not exist until buildings and writing about it did? Or has God and our ability to discern it preexisted going to a building, or reading a book?

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made.

4 In Him was life, and that life was the Light of men.

5 And the Light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not.

Among my 'required reading' is this wiki entry 'Timeline of Religions'

# 1 Prehistoric period (300th millennium to 34th century BCE)

* 1.1 300th to 51st millennium BCE
* 1.2 50th to 11th millennium BCE
* 1.3 100th to 34th century BCE

# 2 Ancient history (33rd century BCE to 3rd century CE)

* 2.1 33rd to 12th century BCE
* 2.2 13th to 9th century BCE
* 2.3 8th to 3rd century BCE
* 2.4 2nd century BCE to 4th century CE

# 3 Middle Ages (5th to 15th century)

* 3.1 5th to 9th century
* 3.2 10th to 15th century

# 4 Early modern and Modern era (16th to 20th century)

* 4.1 16th to 18th century
* 4.2 19th to 20th century

# 5 21st century

* 5.1 2000s

Content aside, if God didn't exist until writing about it did, or building churches, what was all the religious expression tens of thousands of years before about?

Among my 'required reading' is this wiki entry 'Timeline of Religions'

# 1 Prehistoric period (300th millennium to 34th century BCE)

* 1.1 300th to 51st millennium BCE
* 1.2 50th to 11th millennium BCE
* 1.3 100th to 34th century BCE

# 2 Ancient history (33rd century BCE to 3rd century CE)

* 2.1 33rd to 12th century BCE
* 2.2 13th to 9th century BCE
* 2.3 8th to 3rd century BCE
* 2.4 2nd century BCE to 4th century CE

# 3 Middle Ages (5th to 15th century)

* 3.1 5th to 9th century
* 3.2 10th to 15th century

# 4 Early modern and Modern era (16th to 20th century)

* 4.1 16th to 18th century
* 4.2 19th to 20th century

# 5 21st century

* 5.1 2000s

Content aside, if God didn't exist until writing about it did, or building churches, what was all the religious expression tens of thousands of years before about?

BELIEVE THE WORD OF ALMIGHTY GOD OR silly little man's word!!!! DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's more likely?

-God's will wasn't known to ancient humans until they invented writing and learned how to make more than simply 1 room mud huts, aqnd invented Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, or

-God's made its will known all along.

What's more likely?

-God's will wasn't known to ancient humans until they invented writing and learned how to make more than simply 1 room mud huts, aqnd invented Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, or

-God's made its will known all along.

YOU GOT A LOT TO LEARN silly little guy!!! GOD WALKED AND TALKED WITH ADAM IN THE GARDEN AND LATER GOD SENT HIS PROPHETS WHO GAVE HIS WORD TO MAN!!!!

BELIEVE GOD'S WORD===this is GOD'S WORD not my word!!!===11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it so great a thing if we should reap your worldly things?

God was always known to man.
I'm not quite getting your issue here.
Are you upset by someone wanting renumeration for producing a book or spending years learning a subject and then giving lectures on the topic.
Does your concern spill over into politicians or economists asking for renumeration?

Looks like it originated from these passages. (from Wikipedia)

Patriarchs[edit]
In Genesis 14:18-20, Abraham, after rescuing Lot, met with Melchizedek. After Melchizedek's blessing, Abraham gave him a tenth of everything he has obtained from battle:
"Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High, and he blessed Abram, saying, “Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. And praise be to God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand.” Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.”
—Genesis 14:18-20

In Genesis 28:12-22, Jacob, after his visionary dream of Jacob's Ladder and receiving a blessing from God, promises God a tenth:
"Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.” And he was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.” So early in the morning Jacob took the stone that he had put under his head and set it up for a pillar and poured oil on the top of it. He called the name of that place Bethel, but the name of the city was Luz at the first. Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you.”
—Genesis 28:12-22
Simple question. Did anyone in religious texts ever charge people to listen to them? If not, why do so many today?

Last edited:

????....who charges admissions?....you mean like retired politicians who get $250k to make a speech?.....

Angry that they get paid to talk, or that your guy doesn't command as high a fee? :)

"Bush’s standard speaking fee is reportedly between $100,000 and $150,000.

David Sherzer, a spokesman for the former president, said that since Bush left office he has delivered nearly 140 paid talks, at home and abroad. Those speeches have earned Bush about $15 million, following in the golden path blazed by his predecessor, Bill Clinton."
George W. Bush's $15 Million Speech Payday - The Daily Beast

"According to a CNN analysis of 12 years of federal financial records, former President Bill Clinton had his most active and profitable year on the lecture circuit in 2012, delivering 73 speeches for $17 million from mid-January 2012 through mid-January 2013. That brought his total haul in speaking fees since leaving the White House to $106 million."
First on CNN: Bill Clinton?s $106 million speech circuit windfall ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Half the speeches but 7 times the money. :)

Last edited:

????....who charges admissions?....you mean like retired politicians who get $250k to make a speech?.....

Angry that they get paid to talk, or that your guy doesn't command as high a fee? :)

"Bush’s standard speaking fee is reportedly between $100,000 and $150,000.

David Sherzer, a spokesman for the former president, said that since Bush left office he has delivered nearly 140 paid talks, at home and abroad. Those speeches have earned Bush about $15 million, following in the golden path blazed by his predecessor, Bill Clinton."
George W. Bush's $15 Million Speech Payday - The Daily Beast

"According to a CNN analysis of 12 years of federal financial records, former President Bill Clinton had his most active and profitable year on the lecture circuit in 2012, delivering 73 speeches for $17 million from mid-January 2012 through mid-January 2013. That brought his total haul in speaking fees since leaving the White House to $106 million."
First on CNN: Bill Clinton?s $106 million speech circuit windfall ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Half the speeches but 7 times the money. :)
no, just curious why you think it has anything to do with a religious forum.....

Forum List

Back