Did Jesus really exist?

Did Jesus Really Exist as a Flesh and blood person?

• Jay-A-Zus was LORD!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why wouldn't he have been real? In his day there were many rabbis named Jesus. It was a common name, and rabbis were pretty abundant too.

Actually there were zero rabbis named Jesus.

'Jesus' is the English language form of the Greek name 'Ieosus.'

Man's name under discussion, in his own language, and as he'd have been called by contemporaries was 'Yeshua.'

There were NO contemporary witnesses. There were NO eye witnesses period.
I, and many billions more would disagree with that statement.

Most of those listed above, were murdered/martyred proclaiming Jesus is the Risen Lord.

If you could find just 1 person who was willing to die for you(no kin folks), then you have a truly blessed life.But, to have more than a dozen people, go their separate ways, preach the Gospel, and then, basically at knife point, be forced to recant, or die, and they all choose to die, as opposed to betraying the Person, they consider to be the Lord.

Yeah, there were plenty of eye witnesses, and since the Gospels have survived more than 2 millennia now, i'll take that, as the Word of God.

Here the big problem with that list.

Luke and Mark are not eye-witnesses. It is unlikely Matthew is since he plagiarizes about 70% of Mark. John was the last one written, and it was unlikely he was an apostle, either.

You also repeat the "Died for a lie" Fallacy, when in fact, the only apostle whose death is mentioned in the bible is James. The deaths of all the others are "Church Traditions", and are contradictory.

For instance, Tradition has St. Thomas dying in India, not as a Martyr , but being killed in a hunting accident.
Thomas the Apostle - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Meanwhile, St. Andrew is supposed to have been Martyred in Cyprus, Scotland and Russia. No, seriously.

Speaking of true names, wasn't there something somewhere about "...And you shall call his name Immanuelle."

Immanuelle aint no where close to Yeshua. :)

"All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which means, "God with us." (Matthew 1:22-23, NIV)"

"The word Immanuel appears only three times in the Bible: Isaiah 7:14, 8:8, and Matthew 1:23."
Meaning of Immanuel in the Bible

LOL!!! JESUS has been called "GOD WITH US" FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS!!! Do you live under a rock?

Way to ignore prophecy. The Isaiah prophecy says the Messiah's name will be "Immanuelle" not "Yeshua." The meaning of the name doesn't establish the legitimate claim of someone with another name because of what people then say about him.

But I get how faced with incontrovertible proof hje wasn't this prophecized Messiah will make you desparately grab on to anything you can as you fall off the cliff of logic.

LOL!!! JESUS has been called "GOD WITH US" FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS!!! Do you live under a rock?

Way to ignore prophecy. The Isaiah prophecy says the Messiah's name will be "Immanuelle" not "Yeshua." The meaning of the name doesn't establish the legitimate claim of someone with another name because of what people then say about him.

But I get how faced with incontrovertible proof hje wasn't this prophecized Messiah will make you desparately grab on to anything you can as you fall off the cliff of logic.
JESUS FULLFILLED EVERY PROPHECY concerning the Messiah.

We already talked about that in another thread.

It ended with someone arguing for "Two Messiah's" and some pretty questionable Christian apologetics.

whether you or anybody else believes he did. I believe this.
A "common" man
Who was this “crazy” man?
Teaching and healing throughout the land.
Claiming to be sent by God to deliver his word.
This task given to a simple commoner, how absurd.
Why didn’t he select a king or a President?
Or at least a mansion’s rich resident?
Words from these men can go a long way,
As we prove by obeying them each day.
Maybe send a lawyer, judge or magistrate?
For many men have they sealed their fate,
But they judge by a different book,
Not through the heart do they look,
Maybe send a doctor to heal our ills,
I’m sure they too wish it was as simple as pills,
He’s sent rabbis, priests and cardinals apparently to look,
For their heads be buried too deep in their books,
Maybe send a teacher and such,
Would they concentrate on filling just the head too much?
Maybe send the soldier with all his might,
Maybe God didn’t want to start another fight?
So did I forget any position in life?
Who could bring his word without all the strife?
Of judging each man by comparing one to another,
This can only serve to turn brother against brother,
For no one starts at the same spot,
From the time we are all just little tots,
Till we turn wrinkled, withered, and gray,
Only we can find our way,
To a better world of joy and peace,
No more pain, we’ve killed the beast,
But take if from one of this “crazy” guy’s most loving fans,
God knew he had to send a “common” man.
For in the end we will see,
it will be when a common man's like he,
God shall save both you and me.

whether you or anybody else believes he did. I believe this.
A "common" man
Who was this “crazy” man?
Teaching and healing throughout the land.
Claiming to be sent by God to deliver his word.
This task given to a simple commoner, how absurd.
Why didn’t he select a king or a President?
Or at least a mansion’s rich resident?
Words from these men can go a long way,
As we prove by obeying them each day.
Maybe send a lawyer, judge or magistrate?
For many men have they sealed their fate,
But they judge by a different book,
Not through the heart do they look,
Maybe send a doctor to heal our ills,
I’m sure they too wish it was as simple as pills,
He’s sent rabbis, priests and cardinals apparently to look,
For their heads be buried too deep in their books,
Maybe send a teacher and such,
Would they concentrate on filling just the head too much?
Maybe send the soldier with all his might,
Maybe God didn’t want to start another fight?
So did I forget any position in life?
Who could bring his word without all the strife?
Of judging each man by comparing one to another,
This can only serve to turn brother against brother,
For no one starts at the same spot,
From the time we are all just little tots,
Till we turn wrinkled, withered, and gray,
Only we can find our way,
To a better world of joy and peace,
No more pain, we’ve killed the beast,
But take if from one of this “crazy” guy’s most loving fans,
God knew he had to send a “common” man.
For in the end we will see,
it will be when a common man's like he,
God shall save both you and me.
JESUS is before creation is is Jesus that did the creating. Jesus came to earth as as 100% human but he was still 100% GOD!
whatever. ... that means. Jesus said where is my brother and sister? he who keeps God's commandments is my brother or sister. or something to that effect. so, he's my brother if I can make him so. I maybe wayward but all the more why he searches me out. If he were here, he would gladly remove his name from the book of life if it would save or help his people ie us all, to see God's eternal life light. as best as I can short hand it. I have know before God, no not even he who led me to him. Don't you understand that yet? you are just as bad as the muslims worshipping Mohammad when he told them not to worship him but the message. dah... go read it again till you all get it right.

"All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which means, "God with us." (Matthew 1:22-23, NIV)"

"The word Immanuel appears only three times in the Bible: Isaiah 7:14, 8:8, and Matthew 1:23."

speaking of rocks crawl back under yours gizmo

Jesus Did Not Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God. (Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)

Specifically, the Bible says he will:

1. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
  2. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
  3. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
  4. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world ― on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.

Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming. Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright; in the Bible no concept of a second coming exists.

speaking of rocks crawl back under yours gizmo
LOL!!! Feeling vanquished? FEAR? SHAME? GUILT? Are you crying screaming cursing?

couldn't contain yourself and outted yourself gizmo

Jesus Did Not Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God. (Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)

Specifically, the Bible says he will:

1. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
  2. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
  3. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
  4. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world ― on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.

Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming. Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright; in the Bible no concept of a second coming exists.
yes! SOME OF THE PROPHECY of things JESUS WILL DO will be done at His soon return BUT all the prophecy about HIS birth and life have all been fulfilled! PTL.
ah, the i'll do it next time routine!!!

Guno, what bothers you so much about Christianity that you need to attack it all day long?
Is someone proselityzing you?

Why wouldn't he have been real? In his day there were many rabbis named Jesus. It was a common name, and rabbis were pretty abundant too.

Actually there were zero rabbis named Jesus.

'Jesus' is the English language form of the Greek name 'Ieosus.'

Man's name under discussion, in his own language, and as he'd have been called by contemporaries was 'Yeshua.'

This is why Sister Mary Joseph always rapped me on the knuckles with her yardstick during catechism class. I fell asleep during transliterations. Your point is well taken, but I think you're splitting hairs, yes?

3) He shares a lot of traits with other mythological figures.
though if you delete all the lies about other mythological figures posted in the AtheistsRUs website, there aren't very many......we've covered that already in a half dozen threads over the last six months.....

Forum List

Back