Dick’s, Major Gun Retailer, Will Stop Selling Assault-Style Rifles

A nice hunting rifle with a wooden (or simulated) stock appeals to people who hunt or just like to shoot. Military looking, macho-perfumed 'guns' appeal to odd minds with a propensity to anti-social behaviors.
So, this is okay?

35727-DEFAULT-m.jpg

No, but this is..

iu

The leftist's choice for mass-shooting Republican Congressmen.

I lived through the 1st "Assault weapon ban". Guns were designed to get around it. Then Columbine happened anyway.

FAIL!

A nice hunting rifle with a wooden (or simulated) stock appeals to people who hunt or just like to shoot. Military looking, macho-perfumed 'guns' appeal to odd minds with a propensity to anti-social behaviors.
So, this is okay?

35727-DEFAULT-m.jpg

.​

Hell ... This scares the shit out of the bedwetters.

They suspended a child for biting a pop-tart into something they thought looked like a firearm.
Nikolas Cruz could terrorize other students and faculty ... And was shielded from the consequences
by Progressive school board policies.

Pop-Tart-Gun.jpg

.​

Last edited:
So, this is okay?

35727-DEFAULT-m.jpg

No, but this is..

iu

The leftist's choice for mass-shooting Republican Congressmen.
The pistol grip is the feature of choice for mass shooters. Fuck the cartridge and rate of fire. That damn pistol grip. Evil.
:lol:

I understand the arguments, Bootney. I do believe, though, if I had an item that I enjoyed for recreation and it was deemed to be dangerous because some people were abusing it, I would understand giving it up. Especially if there were many alternatives I could choose from to continue enjoying my recreational pursuits.
Oh, I'm sure I would grump and grouse about it for a bit, but the safety of society trumps me having fun. That's what I was taught. With rights come responsibilities.
But, what if banning it does NOTHING, like I am CERTAIN it will. Would I be unreasonable for grumping and grousing then?

IT

WILL

DO

NOTHING!!!!

Why? Because the tool is not the problem. No matter how much gun control you get, sick people will still try to commit mass murder.

We didn't have this problem in the 1930s, when machine guns were legal. We didn't have this problem 20 years ago.

The guns don't seem to be the real problem. Why don't we start looking at what changed that has caused all these school/church/workplace shootings?

Remember Columbine?

The Assault Weapons Ban was in place when that happened.
I believe I put in a post not long ago saying that harm reduction is not the same as expecting 100% safety.
You are PREDICTING that an "Oops Weapons ban" will do nothing. You are PREDICTING that if Oops are made illegal, that next some fascist government will be storming your home and confiscating everything including your bb gun.
You have no idea what will happen. The last time there was an assault weapons ban, it kept mass shootings from increasing. When it was lifted, mass shootings increased 200% the next year. In the past five months we have had THREE of the DEADLIEST mass shootings in this country. It is TIME to put on the brakes. The majority of these mass shootings are done with Oops weapons and perhaps if they were not available, the next mass shooter would kill half as many or be stopped sooner. It's risk reduction, not a promise of 100% safety. Life ain't 100% safe. I'm not giving up on this position. Neither is over half the population of this country. Real hunters don't use Ooops weapons. People seeking a cheap "badass" image want AR's. Or they enjoy them at the rifle range. If rifle ranges want to let people shoot them there, fine, but keep them there. They don't belong on our streets and in our closets. They are knock offs of military weapons and they don't belong in civilian hands.

I understand the arguments, Bootney. I do believe, though, if I had an item that I enjoyed for recreation and it was deemed to be dangerous because some people were abusing it, I would understand giving it up. Especially if there were many alternatives I could choose from to continue enjoying my recreational pursuits.
Oh, I'm sure I would grump and grouse about it for a bit, but the safety of society trumps me having fun. That's what I was taught. With rights come responsibilities.
But, what if banning it does NOTHING, like I am CERTAIN it will. Would I be unreasonable for grumping and grousing then?

IT

WILL

DO

NOTHING!!!!

Why? Because the tool is not the problem. No matter how much gun control you get, sick people will still try to commit mass murder.

We didn't have this problem in the 1930s, when machine guns were legal. We didn't have this problem 20 years ago.

The guns don't seem to be the real problem. Why don't we start looking at what changed that has caused all these school/church/workplace shootings?

Remember Columbine?

I believe I put in a post not long ago saying that harm reduction is not the same as expecting 100% safety.
You are PREDICTING that an "Oops Weapons ban" will do nothing. You are PREDICTING that if Oops are made illegal, that next some fascist government will be storming your home and confiscating everything including your bb gun.
You have no idea what will happen. The last time there was an assault weapons ban, it kept mass shootings from increasing. When it was lifted, mass shootings increased 200% the next year. In the past five months we have had THREE of the DEADLIEST mass shootings in this country. It is TIME to put on the brakes. The majority of these mass shootings are done with Oops weapons and perhaps if they were not available, the next mass shooter would kill half as many or be stopped sooner. It's risk reduction, not a promise of 100% safety. Life ain't 100% safe. I'm not giving up on this position. Neither is over half the population of this country. Real hunters don't use Ooops weapons. People seeking a cheap "badass" image want AR's. Or they enjoy them at the rifle range. If rifle ranges want to let people shoot them there, fine, but keep them there. They don't belong on our streets and in our closets. They are knock offs of military weapons and they don't belong in civilian hands.
They DO belong in civilian hands. EVERYTHING that is available belongs in civilian hands.
THE WHOLE POINT OF THE SECOND IS TO KEEP THE GOVERNMENT IN CHECK.
NOW MORE THAN EVER. THEY ARE SLOWLY STEALING OUR RIGHTS AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU HELP THEM.
If you want to change the law, amend the COTUS.
YOU ARE ADVOCATING FOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO ABUSE IT POWERS
I used all caps so maybe you could see it this time.

I want a goddamn machine gun. I have a RIGHT to a goddamn machine gun.
Just because some dipshit hurts someones feelings with words, should we start banning them? That will probably come after you fucking big govt DUMBFUCKS take our guns.

Cool. I hope they go down in flames.

And so dd Walmart. Since that's where most of gun nut America is employed, do you turds plan on boycotting them to?
Walmart raised the age of buying guns and ammo to 21. Of course, that is discrimination in like 20 or so states.
So at least only half the country will be oppressed by walmart and dicks lol

IT

WILL

DO

NOTHING!!!!

Remember Columbine?

I've seen studies that contradict what you're saying about the last assault weapons ban, specifically that when the ban was lifted mass shootings went up 200% the next year. That ban did not confiscate any guns, so even if you stopped the manufacture and sale of assault guns we still have somewhere between 5 and 20 million of those out there and that's only the ones that look like AR-15s.

A 2013 study of the 1994 law for the National Institute of Justice said, "We cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation's recent drop in gun violence." It also said, "Should it be renewed, the ban's effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement."

And:

Deutch said, "Mass shootings went up 200 percent in the decade after the assault weapons ban expired."

[ Me: Rep. Ted Deutch, D-Fla, this is the guy that recently authored a bill in the HoR to ban AR-15s and 205 other semi-automatic weapons.]

Researchers of mass shootings told us the analysis Deutch relied on is flawed because it did not adjust for population changes and used irrelevant data points for comparison.

Trends in the incidence and severity of mass public shootings on a per capita basis also show that the rate per 100 million is similar now to that of the 1980s and early 1990s, an expert told us.

A separate analysis found an 183 percent increase in mass shootings where six or more people were killed in the decade after the ban, compared with the 10-year ban period. But experts caution against inferring that an increase is due only to the ban’s expiration.

Deutch’s claim contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression. We rate it Mostly False.

Did mass shootings spike 200% since assault weapons ban?

Last edited:
Never heard of ‘em.

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.
Dick's is huge in the Northeast. I had dreamed some chains might do this, but I figured it would happen when pigs fly.
You've made my day, Witchit. Thanks.

We have them all over in Colorado. It's a smart financial move on their part, because they don't only sell guns, but fishing, hiking, camping, ski equipment, bikes and clothing which the younger generation will buy. Now they have a shop that agrees with them on guns--and Dick's sporting goods is the place they'll be headed too.

Never heard of ‘em.

One of the nation’s largest sports retailers, Dick’s Sporting Goods, said Wednesday morning it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores.

The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age, regardless of local laws.

The announcement, made two weeks after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., that killed 17 students and staff members, is one of the strongest stances taken by corporate America in the national gun debate. It also carries symbolic weight, coming from a prominent national gunseller.

I quite like Mr. Stack.
Dick's is huge in the Northeast. I had dreamed some chains might do this, but I figured it would happen when pigs fly.
You've made my day, Witchit. Thanks.

We have them all over in Colorado. It's a smart financial move on their part, because they don't only sell guns, but fishing, hiking, camping, ski equipment, bikes and clothing which the younger generation will buy. Now they have a shop that agrees with them on guns--and Dick's sporting goods is the place they'll be headed too.

We have a few stores out here also. Cabellas is the place to go though,. I love that place.
It was a smart business move for Dicks, but Id hate to think it was just a public relations stunt.

Never heard of ‘em.

I quite like Mr. Stack.

Wow, principals and respect for human life outweigh profit. These ppl have souls and should be commended!

A principal is the head of a campus in the school system. A principle is part of a belief system.

I guess the private sector is starting to take care of these semi-automatic weapons faster than congress ever will.

NEW YORK -

Dick's Sporting Goods, one of the nation's largest outdoor retailers, has announced they will stop selling "assault style rifles" in stores. The retailer also said that they will no longer sell high capacity magazines, or any guns to those under the age of 21.

The decision comes in reaction to the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida

DXH6E86X0AAPh0u.jpg:large
Small business can take up the slack...

These Stores Stopped Selling Assault Weapons:
Dick's Sporting Goods
Gander Mountain Sporting Goods
Cabella's Sporting Goods
Bass Pro Sporting Goods
Walmart
Sams Club
Kroger

Major Airlines & others Stopped all Discounts to NRA Members.
No

IT

WILL

DO

NOTHING!!!!

Remember Columbine?

In your opinion, And your opinion does not count in the real world

Forum List

Back