"DHS report: 73 percent of terrorism-related offenders over last 15 years were foreign-born"

giphy.gif

And I wonder how many of those who were NOT foreign born were first generation in this country. Add them up, and the case is pretty clear.

The article says that 549 people were convicted of international terrorism-related offenses. I wasn't sure what that meant. This is from the actual DHS report:
The conviction information outlined above is based on public convictions in federal courts between September 11, 2001, and December 31, 2016 resulting from international terrorism investigations, including investigations of terrorist acts plan ned or committed outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States over which Federal criminal jurisdiction exists and those within the United States involving international terrorists and terrorist groups. This information reflects defendants convicted in cases involving charged violations of federal statutes that are directly related to international terrorism, 2 as well as defendants convicted in cases involving charged violations of a variety of other statutes where the investigation involved an identified link to international terrorism. 3 This information includes both individuals who committed offenses while located in the United States and those who committed offenses while located abroad, including defendants who were transported to the United States for prosecution. It does not include individuals convicted of offenses relating to domestic terrorism, nor does it include information related to terrorism-related convictions in state courts.
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Executive Order 13780 Section 11 Report - Final.pdf
I don't know if that means any terrorist incident in which ISIS claims responsibility, for example, becomes an "international terrorism-related offense." The actual convictions listed in the report seem to indicate people who were involved in trying to help ISIS or other foreign terrorist organizations.

There is also this quote from the end of the article:
A report from the Cato Institute looks at the period between the 9/11 attacks and the end of 2015. It estimates that more than three times as many people were killed in terrorist attacks by native-born Americans than foreign-born individuals.

Also, more than half of those convicted were actually citizens. 148 were foreign born but naturalized, while 147 were citizens by birth. DHS, DOJ Report: Three Out of Four Individuals Convicted Of International Terrorism and Terrorism-Related Offenses Were Foreign-Born

I'm not really certain if this particular report leads to any conclusions about immigration. :dunno:

• Banned
"New report from DOJ & DHS shows that nearly 3 in 4 individuals convicted of terrorism-related charges are foreign-born. We have submitted to Congress a list of resources and reforms

....we need to keep America safe, including moving away from a random chain migration and lottery system, to one that is merit-based." - President Trump

Forum List

Back