Desperate businessman dies by suicide after losing savings in investment scam:'The house always wins

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Frederick Turbide sent a photo of his suicide note to an overseas investment dealer just before Christmas in a desperate last attempt to recover his missing life savings.

Over the previous few months, the 61-year-old Edmonton businessman had lost more than $300,000 in the murky world of binary option trading, and was hoping against hope the dealer he knew as Julian Wellington could somehow make it right.

“He said everything was on the line, and if he wasn’t able to put the money back that he anticipated this was the letter he was leaving behind,” son Tom Ferreira says.

“He was sick that whole week, sleep deprived … The next thing I know is I got a text message, all the kids did, saying, ‘Stop what you’re doing now, go home, be with your mom. It’s going to be a sad day.’ ”

A short time later, on Dec. 21, Turbide went into the garage of his Highlands home and fatally shot himself.
Desperate businessman dies by suicide after losing savings in investment scam: 'The house always wins'

That's horribly sad.

I personally know 6 people who are going to prison for Ponzi schemes and embezzlement and I wouldn't shed a tear if they took arsenic and saved me the trouble of having my tax dollars feeding them in prison.

Doesn't sound like a very bright man. He put all of his eggs into high risk trading he knew little about.

Doesn't sound like a very bright man. He put all of his eggs into high risk trading he knew little about.
Yep.

There are exceptions, but most of the time these scams are preying on people who are willing to suspend common sense and intelligent caution.

All a person has to do is research an investment strategy or program before they take the plunge. If they're not overcome by greed, they'll know not to jump.

Forum List

Back