Dems Will Stop At Nothing To Bash Bush - Now At Coretta King's Funeral

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Tasteless and Classless. But what do we really expect from them?

------

Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!

The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.

Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America. Some black leaders have blamed Bush for the poor federal response, and rapper Kayne West said that Bush "hates" black people.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

Yup we should be funneling billions of tax dollars straight to the poor. Give me a fucking break.

Very cheap of them to use a memorial service for political grandstanding. Way to go dems.

theHawk said:
Yup we should be funneling billions of tax dollars straight to the poor. Give me a fucking break.

Very cheap of them to use a memorial service for political grandstanding. Way to go dems.
It's the second one in my memory. The first backfired on them, bet this will too.

Now, as for Mrs. King....I've lived in Atlanta most of my life and have never heard of her doing anything "for the cause" per se, other than a comment here, or there. Big F'ing deal!

I'll assume she got to heaven, given her life on earth, penance paid. With that said, can't help but wonder about her 'second thoughts.' We can see more clearly there, no?

What really irritates me is they dont see anything wrong with it. Its perfectly okay to use someones death and instead of celebrating their life, turn it into a political rally to them. It makes no sense.

And what really irritated me is the fact that Teddy Kennedy is there supporting their comments on "wire tapping" when it was his brother than had MLK Wire tapped trying to discredit him.

using someone's memorial service as a platform to vent their left wing garbage. I was personally appalled at the political references. It really demonstrates that the Dems have lost the ability to be respectful, tactful, or timely. What a perfect demonstration as well that Black Americans have a stilted, narrow, victimhood driven, viewpoint of this country. I think Martin Luther King would be disgusted...

Too bad Bush has too much class to say something like "I'm proud of the way we have managed to move our country forward from segragationist Democrats like the Klansman Robert C Byrd filibustering the Civil Rights Bill, or AG Kennedy wiretapping Mrs. King's husband to dig up dirt."

I've been having to put up with the traffic increase from this spectacle, not to mention all the tourist traffic...over 40 miles from the perimeter. It's frustrating.

Take Jessie Jackson, and all those political phonies, all the black athletes making 25 million dollar contracts, do they go out and donate millions to the poor?

Warrick Dunn gives to the poor. He's probably the best example of a guy that does the right thing.

I'm sure he is the exception and not the rule. But I honestly don't know what sort of financial contributions black athletes make to their communities or to the poor in general.

But let's be fair. They shouldn't be required to any more than a rich white person in the same spot.

Now if I hear black athletes start making racially motivated comments about wealth distribution then I'll view them as hypocrites if they don't donate.

Powerman said:
Warrick Dunn gives to the poor. He's probably the best example of a guy that does the right thing.

I'm sure he is the exception and not the rule. But I honestly don't know what sort of financial contributions black athletes make to their communities or to the poor in general.

But let's be fair. They shouldn't be required to any more than a rich white person in the same spot.

Now if I hear black athletes start making racially motivated comments about wealth distribution then I'll view them as hypocrites if they don't donate.

They usually donate something after they put 22's, spinners, and a 20K sound system in their ride.

GotZoom said:
They usually donate something after they put 22's, spinners, and a 20K sound system in their ride.

Nothing wrong with that. Although I do think it's incredibly stupid and it's terrible money management. I'd like to think I'd invest my money a bit better if I was making 7 figures a year.

Powerman said:
Nothing wrong with that. Although I do think it's incredibly stupid and it's terrible money management. I'd like to think I'd invest my money a bit better if I was making 7 figures a year.

Pssst...it was a joke.

Mr. P said:
Now, as for Mrs. King....I've lived in Atlanta most of my life and have never heard of her doing anything "for the cause" per se, other than a comment here, or there. Big F'ing deal!

I'm glad to see I am not alone in my thinking re Mrs. King. I couldn't think of a single thing she had done personally--except marry MLK-- that warranted four presidents at her funeral and I don't know how many celebrities. What a farce this all was! I'll bet George W. wishes he had sent Laura now. :)

Adam's Apple said:
I'm glad to see I am not alone in my thinking re Mrs. King. I couldn't think of a single thing she had done personally--except marry MLK-- that warranted four presidents at her funeral and I don't know how many celebrities. What a farce this all was! I'll bet George W. wishes he had sent Laura now. :)

Agreed. This was PCness run amuck. Isn't it time Republicans stop kowtowing to the racists?

Mr. P said:
It's the second one in my memory. The first backfired on them, bet this will too.

Referring to the Wellstone incident?

Not Even Funerals Are Sacred to Liberals

Posted By Bobby Eberle On February 8, 2006 at 7:41 am

At the funeral of Coretta Scott King, President Bush said her dignity was a “daily rebuke to the pettiness and cruelty of segregation.” The president, with class and compassion, spoke at New Birth Missionary Church in Atlanta, Georgia, to honor the wife of civil rights icon Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Unfortunately, there were others who spoke and turned what should be a sacred ceremony into an opportunity to engage in left-wing attacks.

As noted in the story Political Posturing at King Funeral Draws Cheers, Jeers, liberal activists used the funeral of Coretta Scott King to demean President Bush and attack the Republican Party. In a setting that should have brought people together, so-called leaders such as former President Jimmy Carter and Rev. Joseph Lowery chose instead to engage in racial politics and left-wing talking points.

Stoking anger about the federal response to Hurricane Katrina, former President Carter said, “The struggle for equal rights is not over. We only have to recall the color of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi, those who were most devastated by Katrina, to know that there are not yet equal opportunities for all Americans.”

Carter also alluded to President Bush’s current NSA surveillance program but noting the “’secret government wiretapping’ of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. many years ago.”

Carter failed to mention that the wiretapping of the Rev. King was ordered by then Attorney General Bobby Kennedy.

Rev. Joseph Lowery felt it appropriate to focus on Iraq during Mrs. King’s funeral. In his comments he said, “She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there, but Coretta knew, and we know, that there are weapons of misdirection right down here.”

The antics bring back memories of the funeral of the late Minnesota Sen. Paul Wellstone. During that funeral in 2002, which was held just prior to the November elections, Democrats such as Harry Reid turned the solemn event into a left-wing political rally.

Reid said during his comments, “The people of Minnesota are going to have to decide who they want to represent them in the United States Senate, whether they want someone who has the legacy of a Hubert Humphrey and a Paul Wellstone or whether they want somebody that is conducting polls while somebody is taken out of the woods, having been killed in a plane crash.”

President Bush left politics out of the ceremony and, instead, focused on honoring the Mrs. King for her strength and achievements.

In that life, Coretta Scott King knew danger. She knew injustice. She knew sudden and terrible grief. She also knew that her Redeemer lives. She trusted in the name above every name. And today we trust that our sister Coretta is on the other shore — at peace, at rest, at home.

There is a time and place for politics, and there is a time and place for honoring loved-ones as the pass from this world. Funerals are not political rallies, and the comments from the likes of Carter only provide further evidence that the left knows no bounds from which to attack.

http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/wp-print.php?p=215

Forum List

Back