Demons and Devils

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
The topic of spiritual experiences including visions of angels and demons arose in another thread.

I thought maybe it deserved it's own thread.

Are demons real? Do they exist inside or outside of people? Are they animal or human like or both?

What about angels?

I favor M Scott Peck's book, People of the Lie, the Hope for Healing Human Evil as a modern psychological look at demons. Peck came to the conclusion that possession was a rare phenomenon related to evil. Possessed people are not actually evil; they are doing battle with the forces of evil.

Last edited:
The way I see things is from a Christian, yet not literal, perspective. I don't think God is an old guy on a throne, I think God is in everything we see and everywhere we go. I don't think of the stories of angels or demons as literal beings, I think they are metaphors for ideas. I don't see any reason for many scientific ideas and religious ideas to clash, I think often they are just different ways of looking at or interpreting the same things.

Mostly I think people try WAY too hard when it comes to religion/spirituality. It should be easy. It is easy if you just relax and BE.

But I'm probably not playing along properly. I get the feeling this is a let Christian-types make fools of themselves thread much like the What would you believe if science recreated life thread was supposed to be but... wasn't.

• Banned
No. I didn't start the thread to get Christians make fools of themselves. They don't need my help to do that, lol. I'm interested in talking about what we think demons are. included M Scott Peck in the OP. Peck was a respected psychologist and Christian.

He has an interesting take on demons and evil.

M. Scott Peck's (1983) analy-sis of both individual and collective human evil, as presented in his The People of the Lie was overlooked by some psychologists and others because of its religious associations. Peck's account stands up well as a psychological analysis that explains evil character structure as both a form of narcissistic personality disorder and a moral break-down, or perversion, of conscience. Concepts of denial, scapegoating, threatened narcissism, lying, self-deception, and cover-up, in Peck's account, illuminate in parallel ways both individual and collective evil. Perennial questions, such as how ordinary persons come to perpetuate extraordinary evil, the genesis of evil character, and whether human evil can be healed, are explored by comparing Pecks views with those of other writers.

http://jhp.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/35/3/37

Last edited:
Well you will not find two people who agree on any belief. I, yes have had dreams on demon/angel and I've seen them wide awake. Would I share those on a message board for open ended attacks, or worse changing the heart or faith of another? No I think not. I believe in God, I do not go to Church, I never preach my beliefs to anyone.

• Banned
I don't think of demons or devils in the same way. It sounds like you think of angels and demons as external phenomena.

• Banned
I think they're mostly internal. Some people behavedemonically. And sometimes people project demons onto each other more psychologically.

Just my take on it. You have your own experience.

I think they're mostly internal. Some people behavedemonically. And sometimes people project demons onto each other more psychologically.

What do you mean by project demons onto each other?

Last edited:

What do you mean by project demons onto eacch other?

You don't like someone, so you project that he or she is demonic rather than acknowledge that you're the one who doesn't like him or her. It's a projection of anger. Unrecognized anger can appear demonic. Anger isn't pretty or angelic.

Last edited:

What do you mean by project demons onto eacch other?

You don't like someone, so you project that he or she is demonic rather than acknowledge that you're the one who doesn't like him or her. It's a projection of anger. Unrecognized anger can appear demonic.
I believe there is an error in your thoughts there.

If one has seen a manifestation in someone they do not know your theory does not fit.

Father Malachi Martin: Article on Exorcism

You will find a lot of Catholic's talk bad about Father Martin because Father Martin wrote some truth and some have really tried to discredit him but I read the book, and it isn't for the faint heart. If you have faith, just hope it's very strong when you read the book.

He writes about some exorcisims he attended and while they are not like the MOIVE Exorcist the book does educate you more on the subject. I learned a lot from reading it. (I had to say prayers thoughout my reading though)

No. I didn't start the thread to get Christians make fools of themselves. They don't need my help to do that, lol. I'm interested in talking about what we think demons are. included M Scott Peck in the OP. Peck was a respected psychologist and Christian.

M. Scott Peck's (1983) analy-sis of both individual and collective human evil, as presented in his The People of the Lie was overlooked by some psychologists and others because of its religious associations. Peck's account stands up well as a psychological analysis that explains evil character structure as both a form of narcissistic personality disorder and a moral break-down, or perversion, of conscience. Concepts of denial, scapegoating, threatened narcissism, lying, self-deception, and cover-up, in Peck's account, illuminate in parallel ways both individual and collective evil. Perennial questions, such as how ordinary persons come to perpetuate extraordinary evil, the genesis of evil character, and whether human evil can be healed, are explored by comparing Pecks views with those of other writers.

M. Scott Peck's Analysis of Human Evil: a Critical Review -- Klose 35 (3): 37 -- Journal of Humanistic Psychology

Peck is correct

There is a difference between evil spirits and demons. Totally seperate and distinct.

M. Scott Peck's Analysis of Human Evil: a Critical Review -- Klose 35 (3): 37 -- Journal of Humanistic Psychology

Peck is correct

hey dude---are you an evil spirit or a demon ?

Forum List

Back