Obama had the Dalai Lama's scarf in his pocket

• Banned
Prayer for Barack Obama

By the power of the truth of compassion and love, may this noble leader,
Barack Obama, be blessed with courage.
May he always be in harmony with his highest ideals.
May he have clarity and wisdom,
and may the radiance of his heart be an inspiration and guiding light
for countless beings in these troubled times.
May he be safe from all harm and may he live a long life!

Sarwa Mangalam

• Banned
"The meaningful symbolic gesture of our youthful new president keeping the Dalai Lama's blessing scarf in his pocket during the inaugeration certainly augurs good things for Obama, for us and for the country and the world, in its way, however great or small; but I think it's we ourselves who have to help the new president and his team of allies, give of our best to the collective good right now in these troubled times, and not wait for someone else or perhaps divine intercession to do it for us. I like to remember the old Middle Eastern saying: 'Trust in Allah but tie up your camel.'"
Author of 'Founding Faith' - Steven Waldman

• Banned
Now he will be accused of being part of yet another religion.

Source of the rumor is Steve Waldman who runs the site beliefnet.com

with all respect to the dalai lama, is it okay if i don't give a flying fuck?
Sure, why would you care?.:lol:

Richard Blum, who is the husband of California Senator Diane Feinstein, happens to be a major supporter of Buddhism. He was up on the platform during the swearing in.
Beforehand, he told Barack Obama that he had with him a white khata -- a silk Tibetan scarf -- given him by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Blum described what happened next in a letter to an associate of the Dalai Lama:

"I offered it to President Obama before the ceremony. I said that I could get it delivered to him later. He said, no, that he was going to take it and have it with him; in fact, it was in his pocket when he was sworn-in."

Last edited:
Source of the rumor is Steve Waldman who runs the site beliefnet.com

with all respect to the dalai lama, is it okay if i don't give a flying fuck?
Sure, why would you care?.:lol:

i like the dalai, don't get me wrong. it just seems superfluous given the magnitude of the issues we're faced with. then again, it couldn't hurt.

darn it, i'll give a flying fuck-cynicism be damned.

You would think the Dali Lama is a bad guy from some of these remarks.

How I wish these Americans would care more for their fellow man and the coutnries well being over partisan politics.

I just thought it was a cool story. It made me feel good to hear about it. I think its great that America not only have the blessing of God and Christian ministers but of the Dalai Lama and Buddha too.

Last edited:
The funny thing is they are religions of philosophy which anyone can share the wisdom with.

The funny thing is they are religions of philosophy which anyone can share the wisdom with.

True.

No matter what part of the world we come from, we are all basically the same human beings. We all seek happiness and try to avoid suffering. We have the same basic human needs and is concerns. All of us human beings want freedom and the right to determine our own destiny as individuals and as peoples. That is human nature.

The Website of The Office of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

How I wish these Americans would care more for their fellow man and the coutnries well being over partisan politics.

You have GOT to be kidding. Does your hypocrisy know any bounds? Everything out of your mouth is partisan. Even this.

If that was a Republican with Jerry Falwell's scarf we could hear you howl without even logging in.

You have GOT to be kidding. Does your hypocrisy know any bounds? Everything out of your mouth is partisan. Even this.

If that was a Republican with Jerry Falwell's scarf we could hear you howl without even logging in.

Well, Gunny, Falwell blamed gays and lesbians for 9/11, even though the Bible says "Judge not lest ye be judged.".

Well, Gunny, Falwell blamed gays and lesbians for 9/11, even though the Bible says "Judge not lest ye be judged.".

Haven't you heard? Osama Bin Laden and Mohammed Atta are gay. Falwell was right.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back