Demons and Devils

No. I didn't start the thread to get Christians make fools of themselves. They don't need my help to do that, lol. I'm interested in talking about what we think demons are. included M Scott Peck in the OP. Peck was a respected psychologist and Christian.

He has an interesting take on demons and evil.

M. Scott Peck's (1983) analy-sis of both individual and collective human evil, as presented in his The People of the Lie was overlooked by some psychologists and others because of its religious associations. Peck's account stands up well as a psychological analysis that explains evil character structure as both a form of narcissistic personality disorder and a moral break-down, or perversion, of conscience. Concepts of denial, scapegoating, threatened narcissism, lying, self-deception, and cover-up, in Peck's account, illuminate in parallel ways both individual and collective evil. Perennial questions, such as how ordinary persons come to perpetuate extraordinary evil, the genesis of evil character, and whether human evil can be healed, are explored by comparing Pecks views with those of other writers.

M. Scott Peck's Analysis of Human Evil: a Critical Review -- Klose 35 (3): 37 -- Journal of Humanistic Psychology

Peck is correct

hey dude---are you an evil spirit or a demon ?

I AM a mortal man and demon slayer/vampire hunter

There is a difference between evil spirits and demons. Totally seperate and distinct.
Please educate us on the difference.

Do you consider demons outside yourself? Do you understand the term 'demonize'? That's when we take someone or something we don't like and we project demonic qualities onto that person or thing.

We see this often on political forums. Conservatives demonizing liberals and vice versa.

Are people who disagree with your world view demons? Some self-identified Christians consider any human being who does not take up the path of Christianity to be a demon or the anti-christ.

Do you consider me a demon because I'm not a Christian and because I ask questions?

There is a difference between evil spirits and demons. Totally seperate and distinct.

Do you consider demons outside yourself? Do you understand the term 'demonize'? That's when we take someone or something we don't like and we project demonic qualities onto that person or thing.

We see this often on political forums. Conservatives demonizing liberals and vice versa.

Are people who disagree with your world view demons? Some self-identified Christians consider any human being who does not take up the path of Christianity to be a demon or the anti-christ.

Do you consider me a demon because I'm not a Christian and because I ask questions?

no not a demon just a bit reactionary..demons are more like this

[ame=http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=knhbYu5341s]YouTube - bohemian grove[/ame]

The term demonize is fairly new to me..yes I basically understand it.

Demons are disembodied spiritual beings that need a host/willing flesh being to inhabit. HBO had an excellent program some years back that highlighted murderers on death row.

Spirit and Principalities also need a host. Such as a spirit of hatred, a spirit of love, spirit of truth, spirit of denial, spirit of deception, etc......

"Are people who disagree with" my world view demons? No people are not demons. They can be a host to demons or/and evil spirits.

Biblical example, Saul of Kish had an evil spirit God had sent upon him.

Saul had not kept the commandment of God.

No I do not consider you a demon. I do not even know you.

A belief in the supernatural can often times be very harmful to a person's psyche and personal and physical well being. Many a religious kook has had a vision that made them pull a biblical Abraham on family or themselves.

How sick is the story of Abraham? You know the one that unites Jews, Christians and Muslims? Think about it.

If old Abe were alive today he'd be headline news...and dead meat when he went to prison.

The topic of spiritual experiences including visions of angels and demons arose in another thread.

I thought maybe it deserved it's own thread.

Are demons real? Do they exist inside or outside of people? Are they animal or human like or both?

What about angels?

I favor M Scott Peck's book, People of the Lie, the Hope for Healing Human Evil as a modern psychological look at demons. Peck came to the conclusion that possession was a rare phenomenon related to evil. Possessed people are not actually evil; they are doing battle with the forces of evil.

[youtube]2b4FqFEwlL8[/youtube]

Highway 61 Revisited

Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No." Abe say, "What?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done?"
God says, "Out on Highway 61."

Well Georgia Sam he had a bloody nose
Welfare Department they wouldn't give him no clothes
He asked poor Howard where can I go
Howard said there's only one place I know
Sam said tell me quick man I got to run
Ol' Howard just pointed with his gun
And said that way down on Highway 61.

Well Mack the Finger said to Louie the King
I got forty red white and blue shoe strings
And a thousand telephones that don't ring
Do you know where I can get rid of these things
And Louie the King said let me think for a minute son
And he said yes I think it can be easily done
Just take everything down to Highway 61.

Now the fifth daughter on the twelfth night
Told the first father that things weren't right
My complexion she said is much too white
He said come here and step into the light he says hmm you're right
Let me tell the second mother this has been done
But the second mother was with the seventh son
And they were both out on Highway 61.

Now the rovin' gambler he was very bored
He was tryin' to create a next world war
He found a promoter who nearly fell off the floor
He said I never engaged in this kind of thing before
But yes I think it can be very easily done
We'll just put some bleachers out in the sun
And have it on Highway 61.

Copyright ©1965; renewed 1993 Special Rider Music

Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

22:11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.

22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

22:11 And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.

22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

fucking creepy! that alone should be enough to ban the bible in classrooms with impressionable children around.

;)

fucking creepy! that alone should be enough to ban the bible in classrooms with impressionable children around.

;)
Exactly which classrooms would that be?

:slap:

You into banning Bible schools?

Well, I am totally of puttin at least the book of judges on an index, "books NOT for small children". Reading the book of Judges for an hour will propably expose you to more rape and violence than playing GTA 3 for an hour.

On the other hand, putting parts of the bible on an index would be just what could actually make teenagers interested in reading it again.

The way I see things is from a Christian, yet not literal, perspective. I don't think God is an old guy on a throne, I think God is in everything we see and everywhere we go. I don't think of the stories of angels or demons as literal beings, I think they are metaphors for ideas. I don't see any reason for many scientific ideas and religious ideas to clash, I think often they are just different ways of looking at or interpreting the same things.

Mostly I think people try WAY too hard when it comes to religion/spirituality. It should be easy. It is easy if you just relax and BE.

But I'm probably not playing along properly. I get the feeling this is a let Christian-types make fools of themselves thread much like the What would you believe if science recreated life thread was supposed to be but... wasn't.

Well, I guess i could be out of the norm as well Amanda, but i don't think I could have expressed it any better than you just did, and I agree wholeheartedly. (except on the Christian baiting, I do not think that was the thread poster's intention! ;) )

care

Well, I am totally of puttin at least the book of judges on an index, "books NOT for small children". Reading the book of Judges for an hour will propably expose you to more rape and violence than playing GTA 3 for an hour.

On the other hand, putting parts of the bible on an index would be just what could actually make teenagers interested in reading it again.

hahahahahahahahahahaha! Sad, but probably true!

care

Forum List

Back