Democrats Smarter Than Republicans

I am liberal, and I think all of the laws regarding food one can eat or drink, light bulbs one can purchase etc are an over reach of the gvt on our freedoms....i think information and the market should drive those changes....

I consider myself a liberal but most so called liberals wouldn't think i am because i actually believe in liberty.

Smarter .... maybe because he has more common sense. Hammering something through makes the losers angry and inflames the political process. When a compromise is worked at and both sides get something each side may not be happy but they are not angry and feel like they have contributed.

There was no "hammering through" with anything. The Governor campaigned on a platform of balancing the budget and that's exactly why he was voted in.

Both Governors, Wisconsin and Delaware, did.

Take a look at the road each took to get there.

Democrats and liberal/progressives do believe they are smarter than everyone else.

Why else would think they have the right to tell you what to eat, what to drive, what kind of light bulbs to buy, what kind of cars to drive, etc ad infinitum ad nauseum.

If you saw Care's post, I'm going to suggest that you re-frame the argument as liberal vs. conservative, not Dem vs. Repub.

Repubs are often not conservative, as recent history shows.

And, as Dennis Prager has said, the definiton of a liberal is

Good Intentions plus Coercion equals Solution.

I am liberal, and I think all of the laws regarding food one can eat or drink, light bulbs one can purchase etc are an over reach of the gvt on our freedoms....i think information and the market should drive those changes....

This is why it is always necessary to define terms.
Clearly you are not the kind of liberal being spotlighted in these posts....

I think in the current discussion, one announces that one is a liberal in the same way
one would say 'I dare you to knock this chip off my shoulder.'

If you don't mind my defining your views, it sounds like 'centrist' fits.

I think it's HILARIOUS when either side makes fun of the other for "my way or the highway" tactics.

Cantor pulled out the 2400 pages of the healthcare bill like a prop on the televised healthcare kabuki theatre show. He didn't want to budge one inch and said that the differences in sides were too essential on the point of whether government should provide healthcare - for anything to be worked out.

The conservatives said they weren't going to work anything out - and drew a line in the sand. They thought they had the votes. Turns out they didn't of course...but that didn't stop them from whining when Pelosi said we'll pass it then you can read it. She'd simply done what Cantor did...relied on a brute-force vote...and won.

Ultimately some issues boil down to who has the votes. Negotiation isn't always what happens.

Ya we saw how reasonable the Unions and the Democrats were in Wisconsin.

Let's take a step back here.

1. Laying out the demand and making it a 'my way or the highway' doesn't usually produce the 'I see your point' response.

2. While, or course, it is always easier for a Democrat pol to get along with unions, let's give credit to the one who understood diplomacy and human nature.

I saw the guy on tv this morn, and he explained his approach...power-point presentation to the union coalition, got them to see their way to being part of the solution....smart!

3. Sadly, like most of us, when either party is in power, it uses the 'elections have consequences' approach, rather than one which says 'we're all in this together.'

4. I must say that a conservative approach, rather than one that uses coercion and fiat is the best, long term, as it builds relationships, vs. enmity.

5. That being said, I don't advocate bending on principle, if possible, but I do on financial issues.

Any evidence that this particular instance of "reason" didn't use the Wisconsin model as a negative example of what could happen next?

Are you asking if Markell looked at Wisconsin first, and then calculated his position?

No, I don't know, but he seemed very low-key when he spoke, and his approach seemed to fit his style.

I think you're evolving.

See, this is absolutely the wrong way to co-opt Care.

You progressive, you.

Democrats and liberal/progressives do believe they are smarter than everyone else.

Why else would think they have the right to tell you what to eat, what to drive, what kind of light bulbs to buy, what kind of cars to drive, etc ad infinitum ad nauseum.

If you saw Care's post, I'm going to suggest that you re-frame the argument as liberal vs. conservative, not Dem vs. Repub.

Repubs are often not conservative, as recent history shows.

And, as Dennis Prager has said, the definiton of a liberal is

Good Intentions plus Coercion equals Solution.

Prager is right on.

Just a couple comments.

1. Great post. Right on the money.
2. Democrats seem to be able to negotiate with the Unions better than Republicans. I guess part of it is because that's where they get a lot of their campaign money.

Thank you for the comments.

I think I should add that this governor is from the business side, he has an MBA...

Probably does get his campaign money as you state, but it seems to me the methodology he used he would also apply if he needed businessmen to acquiesce.
Just the right way to deal with people.

I think it's HILARIOUS when either side makes fun of the other for "my way or the highway" tactics.

Cantor pulled out the 2400 pages of the healthcare bill like a prop on the televised healthcare kabuki theatre show. He didn't want to budge one inch and said that the differences in sides were too essential on the point of whether government should provide healthcare - for anything to be worked out.

The conservatives said they weren't going to work anything out - and drew a line in the sand. They thought they had the votes. Turns out they didn't of course...but that didn't stop them from whining when Pelosi said we'll pass it then you can read it. She'd simply done what Cantor did...relied on a brute-force vote...and won.

Ultimately some issues boil down to who has the votes. Negotiation isn't always what happens.

I think you forgot to include this example...

“Obama 2009: "Elections have consequenc*es, and at the end of the day, I won."
RUKidding0: Obama 2009: "Elections have consequenc­es, and at the end of

Just a couple comments.

1. Great post. Right on the money.
2. Democrats seem to be able to negotiate with the Unions better than Republicans. I guess part of it is because that's where they get a lot of their campaign money.

Thank you for the comments.

I think I should add that this governor is from the business side, he has an MBA...

Probably does get his campaign money as you state, but it seems to me the methodology he used he would also apply if he needed businessmen to acquiesce.
Just the right way to deal with people.

Based on what you posted, he certainly handled it well. From my perspective, the Wisconsin Governor wasn't interested in negotiation. That's just stupid. You can't just ram legislation down people's throats and not suffer to consequences. He should've learned that during the last election national election.

I think you forgot to include this example...

“Obama 2009: "Elections have consequenc*es, and at the end of the day, I won."
RUKidding0: Obama 2009: "Elections have consequenc*es, and at the end of

That's actually a great example. Shame he didn't have the balls to back it up. He listened and cowtowed and groveled to corporate interests.

Democrats and liberal/progressives appear smarter than the self-defined conservatives on this message board.

The USMB 'conservatives' carry the banner of Freedom and Liberty, yet mock and/or deny others of their rights as Americans (to marry, to collectively bargin), the callous conservatives deny the great resources of our nation to those they find unfit, even willing to deny medical care to the poor, the children, the seniors.

They 'think' regulating firearms is the greatest affront to their liberty and hope to end abortion in all cases - yet they ignore matters of death and injury by firearm in this country and offer no manner of providing pre and post natal health care for pregnant women, the safety of an infants food and clean water and air is only in their sights when it effects them or theirs. Everything government does for someone other than themselves is wasteful for no problems would exist if and only if each individual exercised personal responsibility.

They mock the concept of a social contract and find history to be an inconvenient truth valuable only as far as it supports their ideology, a method of framing the world without consideration of others and one which rejects pragmatic solutions which do not fit their weltsicht.

Yea, Democrats and progressive/liberals are smarter than the callous conservatives who echo each other's collections of unpdroven truths as if immutable.

Wow....Got another truckload of straw at the farmer's market last weekend, huh? :lol::lol::lol:

Well well, more nonsense from another callous conservative. Posting his usual one-line crap and his odd fascination with one and lack of understanding of all logical fallacies. One might argue his method of dealing with afronts to his infantile belief system is to offer Red Hearings; the intent maybe there, but the effort is weak an ineffectual.

There is ample evidence to offer in support of my opinion of the callous conservative; it is offered in the many posts by those who offer criticism and never suggest pragmatic solutions vetted for consequences, intended or not.

It is the stuff of children, magical thinking that everything will be okay if only ... taxes are cut, government gets out of the way, 'we' take 'our' government back. No where in such 'thinking' is thinking evident, for to critically evaluate such tripe leads not to freedom, liberty or a Garden of Eden but to the state of nature where man is everywhere in chains.

Forum List

Back