Democrats Smarter Than Republicans

All parallels between Wisconsin and Delaware need to stop. One CRUCIAL difference is that in Delaware the Democrats own the governorship and have >60% majorities in both houses of the legislature, which means that any law that requires union concessions would be dead in the water without major negotiations.

All parallels between Wisconsin and Delaware need to stop. One CRUCIAL difference is that in Delaware the Democrats own the governorship and have >60% majorities in both houses of the legislature, which means that any law that requires union concessions would be dead in the water without major negotiations.

Holy, moly! Bastiat! I thought you were dead!

Well, welcome to the board, we can always use another real conservative!

As for your post, it is beyond the message of the OP...which is simply that there is a better, you'll like this- more egalitarian manner of dealing with people than by ordering them or demanding acquiescence.

Hope to see more of your posts.

Like I keep saying...There's not one poster on this forum who is less circumspect and introspective than you.

:lol::lol::lol:

When I speak of unintended consequences I'm being less circumspect then everyone who posts on this message board? Wow, might you explain how and provide evidence showing my lack of circumspection?

As for introspection, I suspect the nature of this forum has escaped you. A political message board is not a place for introspection. My political ideals are based on my education and years of experience dealing with an extremely diverse population; I do examine my beliefs vis a vis those of others, even the likes of you.

Nothing you've ever posted, Odd-Dude, suggests you have any concpet of knowing thyself; you can't even 'talk' a good game. That you are anti-government is clear (as was the late Tim McVeigh); that you reject politcal parties - at least the R's and D's is clear too. But how you would remake society is vague and your many post's suggest an opinon which might be expressed by blending a type of immature utopian and an old crumudgeon with a narcissist.

Like I keep saying...There's not one poster on this forum who is less circumspect and introspective than you.

When I speak of unintended consequences I'm being less circumspect then everyone who posts on this message board? Wow, might you explain how and provide evidence showing my lack of circumspection?

As for introspection, I suspect the nature of this forum has escaped you. A political message board is not a place for introspection. My political ideals are based on my education and years of experience dealing with an extremely diverse population; I do examine my beliefs vis a vis those of others, even the likes of you.

Nothing you've ever posted, Odd-Dude, suggests you have any concpet of knowing thyself; you can't even 'talk' a good game. That you are anti-government is clear (as was the late Tim McVeigh); that you reject politcal parties - at least the R's and D's is clear too. But how you would remake society is vague and your many post's suggest an opinon which might be expressed by blending a type of immature utopian and an old crumudgeon with a narcissist.

In fairness to Oddball, you have to admit you are pretty air headed. I'm just saying...

Right...That's why you come here and open with a bunch of leftloon echo chamber prattling points, strawmen and ad hominems, then demand that you be presented with facts rather than echo chamber prattling points, strawmen and ad hominems in return.

Do us all a big fat favor...Double up on your Prozac and get the fuck over yourself.

Holy, moly! Bastiat! I thought you were dead!

Well, welcome to the board, we can always use another real conservative!

As for your post, it is beyond the message of the OP...which is simply that there is a better, you'll like this- more egalitarian manner of dealing with people than by ordering them or demanding acquiescence.

Hope to see more of your posts.
Unfortunately I'm not the same Bastiat that you might have known before, but based on your praise, I can only hope to live up to the former! :)

We all know of the tribulations in Wisconsin.
Here is the story of Delaware...one with a different ending.

1."Within two months of becoming governor, as I faced a budget shortfall of 25 percent of my state’s entire budget, I proposed an 8 percent pay cut for state workers, ...Several times during that first legislative session, more than 1,000 union members came to the state Legislature to protest against me and my proposals. The impeachment signs were hard to miss." Governor Markell of Delaware,

2. "I’m also sympathetic to the need in Wisconsin and other states to secure pension and health benefits concessions from public workers. We’re in the same position in Delaware. What taxpayers fund for these benefits is certainly not sustainable.... I often spend time there explaining my own unpopular proposals — including those to cut their pay and benefits."

3. " Some union members have unrealistic expectations about wage increases when so many of their neighbors throughout the state don’t have jobs, wages or benefits. I’m sometimes frustrated by that attitude."

4. "On balance, it’s better for our state when unions have the right to speak out and to have a place at the table — when they represent those whose voices may not be heard." One Fight More: Markell on Public Employee Unions

5. The State Workers United coalition, which includes the Delaware State Education Association has been meeting with representatives from Governor Markell's Administration to see if there could be a meeting of minds around cost savings in health care and pension. The discussions have gone well.These proposals have been agreed upon by representatives of the Markell Administration and State Workers United for a Better Delaware, aka, the Coalition. The savings these changes represent amount to $128.06 million over the next five years. And these savings will continue to increase incrementally into the future.One Fight More

6. Here we see it is possible to work out a solution without the acrimony of Wisconsin.

Aesop said it best:

A dispute arose between the north wind and the sun, each claiming that he was stronger than the other. At last they agreed to try their powers upon a traveler, to see which could soonest strip him of his cloak. The north wind had the first try; and, gathering up all his force for the attack, he came whirling furiously down upon the man, and caught up his cloak as though he would wrest it from him by one single effort. But the harder he blew, the more closely the man wrapped it round himself. Then came the turn of the sun. At first he beamed gently upon the traveler, who soon unclasped his cloak and walked on with it hanging loosely about his shoulders. Then he shone forth in his full strength, and the man, before he had gone many steps, was glad to throw his cloak right off and complete his journey more lightly clad.

Moral Of The Story: Persuasion is better than force.
The Story of the North Wind and the Sun

So, a Democrat Governor behaves in a more conservative fashion, with consideration for the needs of others, than the Republican Governor.

I can usually come up with the BEST idea and anger folks with my implementation of it. There is something to be said about interpersonal skills.

Right...That's why you come here and open with a bunch of leftloon echo chamber prattling points, strawmen and ad hominems, then demand that you be presented with facts rather than echo chamber prattling points, strawmen and ad hominems in return.

Do us all a big fat favor...Double up on your Prozac and get the fuck over yourself.

I have opinons and an open mind. If ever you post something of substance I will be surprised but willing to consider a point if you ever make one. Being against everything seems your one and only schtick; offering solutions to real problems not so much. Suggesting I need prozac is childish and be assured your inability to engage in debate without making profane comments maybe one reason why I'm likely not to "get the fuck over" myself.
Watching you operate is much like watching the second string take over after we had established a huge lead; sad and comical.

I have opinons and an open mind. If ever you post something of substance I will be surprised but willing to consider a point if you ever make one. Being against everything seems your one and only schtick; offering solutions to real problems not so much. Suggesting I need prozac is childish and be assured your inability to engage in debate without making profane comments maybe one reason why I'm likely not to "get the fuck over" myself.
Watching you operate is much like watching the second string take over after we had established a huge lead; sad and comical.

:clap2: Spot on perfect.

Oddball/Dude is a long-winded, loud mouthed, windbag who has plenty of complaints but very little in the way of real world, practical solutions.

Oddball/Dude is a long-winded, loud mouthed, windbag who has plenty of complaints but very little in the way of real world, practical solutions.

And yet neither your or Wry have offered a single viable solution to the deficit other then MORE TAXES.

And yet neither your or Wry have offered a single viable solution to the deficit other then MORE TAXES.

Incorrect. I support slashing spending across the board. But neither cuts alone or taxes alone will solve our deficit issues. We need to be doing both.

Sometimes negotiation isn't an option.

Alot of that depends on the reasonableness of the people you are dealing with.

Oh the irony throughout this post. :clap2:

Nothing Ironic about it. It's difficult to negotiate with people who run away to other states.

What did Walker concede again? Where was his compromise? I see what the unions gave up, just not sure where Walker was willing to be negotiable.

I'm am ardent union supporter, but I'm not arguing that state employee wages and benefits should be scaled back when necessary. It is a result of the bargaining part. There is a finite amount of money that each state has to pay its workers. However, that has zero to do with the ability to collectively bargain. Where unions don't want to accept cuts, then layoffs are issued until you have the number of employees that a state can afford. But taking away the ability to bargain collectively has zip to do with budgets.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back