Dem AG in Illinois says votes in red county won't count

Actually the only way it would work would be a treaty between the States in question, agreed to by both, and probably acknowledged by congress.

Article 4
Your move candycorn, it is legal.

Article I Section 1 of the Illinois State Constitution:

"All men are by nature free and independent and have
certain inherent and inalienable rights among which are life,
liberty and the pursuit of happiness. To secure these rights
and the protection of property, governments are instituted
among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
"

If the county votes that it doesn't consent to being governed by the state of Illinois then the state has no just powers to govern over it.

Article VII Section 10(a):

"Units of local government and school districts may
contract or otherwise associate among themselves, with the
State, with other states and their units of local government
and school districts, and with the United States to obtain or
share services and to exercise, combine, or transfer any
power or function, in any manner not prohibited by law or by
ordinance."

Without a prohibition on a county transferring it's powers to another state, this section gives the counties that power.

Article VII Section 2(a):

"The General Assembly shall provide by law for the
formation, consolidation, merger, division, and dissolution
of counties, and for the transfer of territory between
counties."

It's fully within the powers of counties to secede, with approval from the General Assembly, and merge with another state provided that the other state approves as well. Since no new state is being formed the Federal Government has no say in the matter.

I’ll be in Jerseyville today. I live a few miles south and where I am is a St Louis-influenced, drug addicted, homeless, rust-belt hell-hole.
But I bought a 165-year-old house with nearly 2 acres of land for only $20k!

Insure it heavily and hope for a tornado

So much for Democracy. Citizens in this county should demand that their votes count. No wonder they want to leave Illinois.

---Illinois attorney general pushes back against county seeking to secede and join Missouri---

Votes only count when they go the democrat's way. If they don't, then the votes don't count.

Article I Section 1 of the Illinois State Constitution:

"All men are by nature free and independent and have
certain inherent and inalienable rights among which are life,
liberty and the pursuit of happiness. To secure these rights
and the protection of property, governments are instituted
among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
"

If the county votes that it doesn't consent to being governed by the state of Illinois then the state has no just powers to govern over it.

Article VII Section 10(a):

"Units of local government and school districts may
contract or otherwise associate among themselves, with the
State, with other states and their units of local government
and school districts, and with the United States to obtain or
share services and to exercise, combine, or transfer any
power or function, in any manner not prohibited by law or by
ordinance."

Without a prohibition on a county transferring it's powers to another state, this section gives the counties that power.

Article VII Section 2(a):

"The General Assembly shall provide by law for the
formation, consolidation, merger, division, and dissolution
of counties, and for the transfer of territory between
counties."

It's fully within the powers of counties to secede, with approval from the General Assembly, and merge with another state provided that the other state approves as well. Since no new state is being formed the Federal Government has no say in the matter.

Wouldn't the smaller state AND the larger state after the transfer technically be "new"?

sure you read it. that's very believable.

thats why you had to ask:

"Can you post the law that was violated?"

it's listed in detail.
Post the fucking law that was broke. No law was broken retard. Taking a vote on if the citizens of those counties would like to move out of the State of Illinois isn't illegal. Why hasn't the Dem AG brought charges and arrested people? Take the loss from me and move on.

Post the fucking law that was broke. No law was broken retard. Taking a vote on if the citizens of those counties would to move out of the State of Illinois isn't illegal. Why hasn't the Dem AG brought charges and arrested people? Take the loss from me and move on.

nice rant, retard.

maybe you should read the legal opinion, eh?

There in fact does seem to be a legal way for this to happen, like I said it should be interesting to see what legal challenges would be brought

Yes, you have to get Congress to approve it, after the two states approve it.

Missouri gains nothing by adding them in.

Good luck with that.

Yes, you have to get Congress to approve it, after the two states approve it.

Missouri gains nothing by adding them in.

Good luck with that.
If Missouri gains nothing that must also mean Illinois looses nothing. And if Illinois is loosing nothing then why would they try and stop it instead of encouraging the democratic process run it’s course? Illinois has places with some of the most anti constitutional gun laws in the country and is known for its illegal corruption, so don’t say it has to do with the law or the constitution as the state has already shown that’s not important.

Forum List

Back