Dehydrating

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015
Anyone dehydrate a lot of a wide variety of foods?

I have done some fruits, veggies & herbs, but also want to do more items.....including meat to be used in soups, stews, or other recipes and even as pet food so it can't be dried as jerky or with salt.

If you do or have done meat, or other stuff please explain your process and prep beforehand and how you store it and if it's shelf stable.
Will vacuum packing help keep it longer? If so, how long?

TIA

Only peppers (so far) and that was because I had way too many to deal with before they would spoil.

After consulting Doctor Internet, I split them open, removed all seeds so they don't rot, and put the remaining meat in ziplocs and into the freezer. They've been there ever since so I can't tell how well it's working, but them was the directions.

But thank you for the topic. Looking forward to the input of those more experienced.

Marion Morrison cooks a lot.....

Only peppers (so far) and that was because I had way too many to deal with before they would spoil.

After consulting Doctor Internet, I split them open, removed all seeds so they don't rot, and put the remaining meat in ziplocs and into the freezer. They've been there ever since so I can't tell how well it's working, but them was the directions.

But thank you for the topic. Looking forward to the input of those more experienced.

I don't dehydrate a lot, I have 2, but my friend does.

His is a couple gens newer than mine are.

Mostly he does meats. Venison and beef. He did some peaches and strawberries that came out pretty good.

I have done some fruits, veggies & herbs, but also want to do more items.....including meat to be used in soups, stews, or other recipes and even as pet food so it can't be dried as jerky or with salt.

If you do or have done meat, or other stuff please explain your process and prep beforehand and how you store it and if it's shelf stable.

TIA
I dry chicken, pork, fish, deer meat and beef for my dogs. I do soak the pork in salt so it will cure. For any of it the trick is get the outer crust dry as fast as possible. Our dogs eat it as fast as it is made so it doesn't stay around very long. Beef liver is their favorite and then the chicken. I have done hamburger and chicken nuggets for them and used old pickle jars to dry can it for in case of lack of fresher stuff or emergency.

Our beef jerky for the people I also dry canned after making and have a few jars down there from about four years ago that are still good if we want jerky.

About all I use mine for is Jerky.
As far as method goes in my case,I season, load it with meat and check regularly until I like the results.
I have the Excalibur and it'll do ten lbs,weight before drying of beef.

upload_2018-4-6_15-21-17.png

Usually do 20 lbs in a batch and store in the freezer after vacuum sealing.

I highly recommend the VacMaster Pro 350 for your vacuum sealed grub.
upload_2018-4-6_15-29-19.png

TIA
I dry chicken, pork, fish, deer meat and beef for my dogs. I do soak the pork in salt so it will cure. For any of it the trick is get the outer crust dry as fast as possible. Our dogs eat it as fast as it is made so it doesn't stay around very long. Beef liver is their favorite and then the chicken. I have done hamburger and chicken nuggets for them and used old pickle jars to dry can it for in case of lack of fresher stuff or emergency.

Our beef jerky for the people I also dry canned after making and have a few jars down there from about four years ago that are still good if we want jerky.

And the meats for the dogs is shelf stable? Do you dry it raw or cook it first?

I am trying to stay away from the salt for preservation if at all possible and to be able to store enough for a longer period of time both for emergencies and so I don't have to make it up every day or three. I'm also trying to stay away from canning it to save space and the jars I have for other things

Wait? Say what??

Did you dehydrate the peppers, then put them in the freezer?? or dry the peppers and freeze meat?

TIA

I am trying to stay away from the salt for preservation if at all possible and to be able to store enough for a longer period of time both for emergencies and so I don't have to make it up every day or three. I'm also trying to stay away from canning it to save space and the jars I have for other things

I see, you're looking to dehydrate for long-term storage, a subject which I have no knowledge on.

Ball Mason Jar canning is a different story! :eusa_whistle:

I don't dehydrate a lot, I have 2, but my friend does.

His is a couple gens newer than mine are.

Mostly he does meats. Venison and beef. He did some peaches and strawberries that came out pretty good.

But when he does meats, is it as plain meat? Or Jerky or Pemmican???

As far as method goes in my case,I season, load it with meat and check regularly until I like the results.

View attachment 186607

View attachment 186608

I have a good dryer and vacuum sealer, I'm just having trouble finding info on doing plain meats that are NOT salted or seasoned....both of which become something completely different

TIA

I see, you're looking to dehydrate for long-term storage, a subject which I have no knowledge on.

Ball Mason Jar canning is a different story! :eusa_whistle:

That may end up being the way I have to go.......so how do you can and have you done meats?

View attachment 186607

View attachment 186608

I have a good dryer and vacuum sealer, I'm just having trouble finding info on doing plain meats that are NOT salted or seasoned....both of which become something completely different

I'm not seeing the problem.
Dry the meat and seal it up.

Wait? Say what??

Did you dehydrate the peppers, then put them in the freezer?? or dry the peppers and freeze meat?

I'm using "meat" to mean the "flesh" or body of the pepper -- the meat of the pepper as opposed to the seeds or stem.

I put them in the freezer in order TO dehydrate them as well as preserve.

TIA

Salt is a disinfectant. Even rinsing the meat in it prior to drying isn't such a bad idea. I have also used lemon juice and vinegar. The dogs don't care for the vinegar at all on their meat. Sodium nitrate can be used to but its not good for man or beast either. Commercial foods use ethoxyquin, butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT).

That which I dry for mine stays good for several weeks and up to several months. Fat is the worst enemy of the dried food whether commercial bagged or home dried. Fat gets rancid. The chicken legs, thighs, etc. I do not usually dry as it contains too much fat. If I do the legs, etc. they have to be precooked. The breast meat on the other hand dried raw will stay good for weeks. The lean beef keeps the longest and the best. To sterilize the meat if it was dried with lower heat I use the microwave to kill off any residues of bacteria that may have lingered with the meat or I stick it in used pickle jars I saved for reuse and dry can it in the oven.

Store bought dried mangos taste like fish for some reason, so I dehydrate my own with sugar added and don't over dry it out into hard leather. When done I zip lock and refrigerate it and it's like juicy candy cause it's not petrified dried.
I tried meat once but it failed, because of the cautious process I chose in pre-cooking to a certain safe temperature.
Someone once handed out their home made deer jerky and it was the best jerky I ever had.
Wish I would have asked for the process recipe.

TIA
Here in the desert we dehydrate water........ :eusa_whistle:

Store bought dried mangos taste like fish for some reason, so I dehydrate my own with sugar added and don't over dry it out into hard leather. When done I zip lock and refrigerate it and it's like juicy candy cause it's not petrified dried.
I tried meat once but it failed, because of the cautious process I chose in pre-cooking to a certain safe temperature.
Someone once handed out their home made deer jerky and it was the best jerky I ever had.
Wish I would have asked for the process recipe.

Meat is tricky because of the fat. If you don't get rid of the fat beforehand, it will go rancid and ruin the meat. I did end up doing some burger and it worked well so far. I cooked & crumbled it first, then rinsed it well with hot water to get rid of any remaining fat, then dried it. It becomes like gravel, but should do fine to reconstitute by soaking in some water or putting it in soup or other liquidy recipe.
I did try a little bit of ham and it worked, but is tricky because of the different type of fat it has throughout the meat. Trimming it off can be a chore. I haven't tried chicken yet, but that's next on my to do list. Seems like pre-cooking the meat and rinsing it off of fat works. I don't think I'll do any raw meat just because of health concerns with it. Although smoking some may be an idea.

I wanna start smoking. I know how to do a sideways smoker grill, but I bought the upright thingy at a yard sale.

Forum List

Back