Deep frying the bird for the first time this year

I heard you'll never eat it baked again. What's the consensus on this?

We do it every year - one in the oven / one in the fryer. You can inject them will all types of flavors. Very very moist stuff when cooked correctly. Make sure you measure the amount of oil you will need with water first (stick the bird in there - in the plastic) - fill with water. Remove the bird, mark the water line with a sharpie. This way you'll use the right amount of oil. First time I did it - too much oil - when the bird was submerged, oil came over the top and caused quite a mess. I suggest a piece of plywood under the fryer to catch any oil vs. landing on your driveway. There is a ton on this subject on the Internet. AHave fun and enjoy

Yeah I have all the precautions covered. We're being blessed with a nice 60 degree day on thursday so I'll be nice and comfortable outside taking care of this little SOB.

Check for wind too. We normally place plywood strategically/vertically to ensure the flame doesn't go out. One year, we dropped the bird in the tank, 20 minutes later came back, the fire was out.

Since it's such a short cook time - recommend a cooler, cigar, lawchair - sit there the entire time to ensure everything's good. Also - keep the pets/kids away

We do it every year - one in the oven / one in the fryer. You can inject them will all types of flavors. Very very moist stuff when cooked correctly. Make sure you measure the amount of oil you will need with water first (stick the bird in there - in the plastic) - fill with water. Remove the bird, mark the water line with a sharpie. This way you'll use the right amount of oil. First time I did it - too much oil - when the bird was submerged, oil came over the top and caused quite a mess. I suggest a piece of plywood under the fryer to catch any oil vs. landing on your driveway. There is a ton on this subject on the Internet. AHave fun and enjoy

Affirmative. Don't do it on a patio or over grass that you don't want to kill. You'll never get the oil out of the concrete and next spring, any grass hit by oil will be dead. Plywood or a tarp.

I'll have a lot of beer. Will this be adequate?

Affirmative. Don't do it on a patio or over grass that you don't want to kill. You'll never get the oil out of the concrete and next spring, any grass hit by oil will be dead. Plywood or a tarp.

I'll have a lot of beer. Will this be adequate?

:thup:

Make sure you have 911 on speed dial. It's the responsible thing to do.

View attachment 16149

Last edited:
i will put my clay cooker turkey up against this dry stuff any day....

lets see...soak clay cooker for 30 minutes...toss in turkey....with apples and oranges shoved up it's ass....and cook at 450 for a few hours.....

Damn, I thought boiling lobsters was cruel. This takes the cake. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I would never condescend to assume I'm more experienced than you in the various methods of consuming poultry Rav :lol:

i will put my clay cooker turkey up against this dry stuff any day....

lets see...soak clay cooker for 30 minutes...toss in turkey....with apples and oranges shoved up it's ass....and cook at 450 for a few hours.....

You're on. I'll provide you and Paulie with my address and you can overnight ship a turkey dinner to me to judge. :D

We used to fry our turkey all the time. If you cook it right it wont be dry at all. Its soo good especially if you marinate it by injecting it . The reason we stopped is because the peanut oil is so expensive. So if you cook it right you will love it

Make sure your turkey is completely and totally thawed or it will explode like a hand grenade. That's what causes most of the fires. They explode and flaming oil goes everywhere.

Make sure your turkey is completely and totally thawed or it will explode like a hand grenade. That's what causes most of the fires. They explode and flaming oil goes everywhere.

Water and boiling oil do not mix well.

You are correct indeed.

Do not do this inside the house! Do not cook it to close to any structures.

Make sure you have several ABC extinguishers available and several bath towels in a bucket of water at the ready. Do not attend the bird alone. The wet towels and back up person are if you end up setting on fire and need to be put out.

Make sure you use the right kind of oil. Peanut oil is the best as it has a high "smoke point"

Truthfully the reason deep fried birds are so juicy is because of all of the crap that gets pumped into them. So pumping up a bird with fluids and baking it would be the same thing.....easier and much safer.

yea i dont get the pumping the turkey.....i prefer easy

It adds a liquid and a fat... which keeps the meat moist. It adds a flavor profile of what ever it is you want to use. Many turkeys already have stuff injected into them. Read the labels.... you would be amazed.

I do eject my turkeys with a rich stock and butter mixture. Larger birds it is a good idea as the meat does dry out with a long roasting. I do it from the inside of the cavity before adding aromatics.

Has anyone tried this Turducken I've been hearing so much about?

A chicken, a duck inside a deboned turkey.

No big deal. Common sense went a long way with this. All in all I think it was pretty good, and if nothing else the hour and 15 minute cook time beats the many hours of bake time. It's nice when it's a nice day out though, obviously this is a no go if it's freezing or especially if it's raining.

I'd do it again.

well i am glad to see you alive...clay cooker did great...nice crispy skin and moist meat.....

i know most chickens and turkeys are injected...hell most pork is too....i try to avoid that

turducken is suppose to be real good.....you can start with smaller birds like cornish game hens

Forum List

Back