Deep frying the bird for the first time this year

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
I heard you'll never eat it baked again. What's the consensus on this?

a. its dangerous

b. its expensive

c. its dry

invest into a clay cooker and have great turkey with little trouble....

but i do not care for the fried turkey

but do be careful.....look at youtube for how to do it safely....involves a ladder....lol

I'm doing it out on the patio, its supposed to be warm on thursday, like 60's. And my buddy tells me he's got the dry issue covered. It's a fine line between done and moist, and too dry. Like a matter of only minutes. He injects it with spices and melted butter all over which also helps keep it moist.

It sounds mouth watering bones. It sounds like I'm going to have sex with this turkey.

I saw somewhere that 150 people have completely burned their houses down trying to deep fry a turkey in the past few years.
This does not count the number of injuries, porch fires etc. etc.
This is just completely burned down.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQBzT5BezmY]Deep-Fried Turkey Incident - YouTube[/ame]

Slow cooking turkey

Don't place stuffing in the turkey! Stuffing plays havoc with cooking times and is a recognized health hazard. Cook your stuffing separately in a casserole dish and be safe.Place the turkey in a covered roasting pan place in the oven preheated to 475°F for 20 minutes. I place the turkey breast up because it makes it easier for me to insert the thermometer. Many people argue that the breast meat is even more juicy by placing the turkey breast down. The choice is yours and it will come out great either way. Just be sure you get that thermometer into the thickest part of the breast when you test it (you'll find out more about testing to see if the turkey is done further down this page).
You don't have to add any water. Our goal here is to "seal the bird" to help keep it juicy.Reduce the heat to 250°F. This again is not a typo! Don't let anybody tell you that the temperature has to be higher for it to get done. The reason that turkey is so often very dry is that it's overcooked. We want to slow cook the turkey. You do not have to remove the turkey from the oven. Just reduce the heat. Click Here to find out about concerns when slow-cooking a turkey.Cook the turkey at 250°F for 20 additional minutes for each pound. No basting is necessary. You start counting the 20 minutes per pound immediately when you turn the oven down to 250°. You don't wait until the oven has cooled down.Note: Some people including myself have found that at least some fresh turkeys cook much faster than store bought turkeys because they are lean and contain no additives. If you have a fresh turkey be sure to monitor the temperature about 2/3 of the way through the calculated 250°F cooking time using a meat thermometer.
If it does get done a lot faster you can always keep it warm. But you don't want to overcook the turkey.Many variables come into play when cooking a turkey. The only way to be absolutely sure that your turkey is fully cooked is to use a quality meat thermometer. Interior breast meat should be 170°F and 180°F for thigh meat. Using a meat thermometer is particularly important if you are roasting the turkey at high elevations since it will take longer but there is no rule of thumb to predict how much longer.

I've done this.

It's delicious..PLUS one gets to keep one's oven on longer.

Those of you living in colder climates probably understand why I consider that a benefit.

We do it every year - one in the oven / one in the fryer. You can inject them will all types of flavors. Very very moist stuff when cooked correctly. Make sure you measure the amount of oil you will need with water first (stick the bird in there - in the plastic) - fill with water. Remove the bird, mark the water line with a sharpie. This way you'll use the right amount of oil. First time I did it - too much oil - when the bird was submerged, oil came over the top and caused quite a mess. I suggest a piece of plywood under the fryer to catch any oil vs. landing on your driveway. There is a ton on this subject on the Internet. AHave fun and enjoy

We do it every year - one in the oven / one in the fryer. You can inject them will all types of flavors. Very very moist stuff when cooked correctly. Make sure you measure the amount of oil you will need with water first (stick the bird in there - in the plastic) - fill with water. Remove the bird, mark the water line with a sharpie. This way you'll use the right amount of oil. First time I did it - too much oil - when the bird was submerged, oil came over the top and caused quite a mess. I suggest a piece of plywood under the fryer to catch any oil vs. landing on your driveway. There is a ton on this subject on the Internet. AHave fun and enjoy

Yeah I have all the precautions covered. We're being blessed with a nice 60 degree day on thursday so I'll be nice and comfortable outside taking care of this little SOB.

a. its dangerous

b. its expensive

c. its dry

invest into a clay cooker and have great turkey with little trouble....

but i do not care for the fried turkey

but do be careful.....look at youtube for how to do it safely....involves a ladder....lol

a. possibly

b. no

c. no

If you follow instructions, it isn't dangerous. The turkey needs to be totally thawed and excess moisture blotted from the turkey. What gets people in trouble is putting too much oil in the pot and then when water or ice on the bird hits the hot oil, the violent reaction boild the oil over the top and ignites it. First, use water in the pot to drop the bird into to see what volume of oil you need to cover the bird. Replace the water with oil and dry the bird, wait for the oil to get to temperature and you are good to go.

Cooking oil can be reused as long as you strain it back into it's container. If you are going to trash it after one use, then yes, it's expensive.

You must have the oil up to the proper temp. The hot oil sears the skin shut inside and out and traps the bird's natural juices inside making it far more moist than a baked bird.

Affirmative. Don't do it on a patio or over grass that you don't want to kill. You'll never get the oil out of the concrete and next spring, any grass hit by oil will be dead. Plywood or a tarp.

Forum List

Back