Deception won D-Day

That's true. It did play a big part securing a successful beach invasion. Yet, it was also possible because the Germans had only 72 divisions on the Western Front against the allies, whereas it had over 225 against the Russians on the Eastern Front.

I wonder what the result would have been had their been more German might on the wall?

Yes the disinformation plan was rather brilliant and that certainly DID play a major role in a successful landing.

That's true. It did play a big part securing a successful beach invasion. Yet, it was also possible because the Germans had only 72 divisions on the Western Front against the allies, whereas it had over 225 against the Russians on the Eastern Front.

I wonder what the result would have been had their been more German might on the wall?

Considering the total Allied control over the sea and the air, more German troops on the ground would not have decisively altered things. An enormously stronger and better Luftwaffe presence might have made a substantial difference.

The Japanese had learned they could not stop an American invasion on the beaches, but the Germans had begun to build their wall and defenses before that lesson became clear. Germany simply didn't have the manpower to stop the invasion nor win the war anymore. Once it became clear to Hitler that the invasion was a success, he should have surrendered, but it was Hitler.

If we had a president like obama, the D-Day plans would have been leaked to the Germans long before D-Day ever happened.

If I were voting for one of the greatest armies in the world I would have to put that German army of Hitler's in for a vote.
With our wonderful hindsight we can now create all kinds of "shouldof" scenarios. I think the truth of it is the American people were tired of the war and of deprivation. Remember, that generation had lived since 1930 in a world that was, to understate it, not good. Today we are disturbed if the economy takes some time to recover and everything is not hunky dory in jolly quick time.

Are you aware of to what extent the Allies had to go through to fool Hitler on D-Day?
Check out this article and you'll be amazed.

The dead "intelligence" guy on the ground with documents indicating the invasion would come at Calais, the Maquis derailing trains, with hammers on the rails, or rocks, if they could not make bombs. The takeover of telegraph offices, power stations, and all the while, a large portion of Axis forces were otherwise "engaged". One reason the Allies had such superior firepower was the brilliant diversion.

The pop-culture secrecy hype overshadows the fact that by July the US lost about 30,000 in the breakout from Normandy. We didn't fool them for long.

The first thing cadets learn about military tactics is when not to engage in a direct assault on an impregnable fortress. The "secrecy" hype is B.S. Life was cheap back then. Ike had a million draftees and if that is what it took to take Europe he was prepared to do so. The history books are written by the winning side.

So many things were different then, than today. After Pearl Harbor the Republicans, that had been fighting America's rearmement now joined the cause. Both the Republcan and Democrat politicians were mostly Americans first then of a political party. Of course, Republicans still tried to win elections but not at the expense of the war. Americans felt well led and secure with their leadership, and most put their lives on hold, many for the second time, buying bonds and doing so many things to help the war effort. It seemed as if the war had no end and while it was nice to win in Europe, it only meant we must now turn to the Pacific. Were mistakes made, tons of them, was their greed, lots of it, but the mistakes and greed were not dwelt on--no time.
The question I have is could we do it today?

The broadly worded "War Powers Act" gave FDR virtual control of the entire media and executive order 8985 established the Bureau of Censorship. Ironically after the War the director, Byron Price, was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for censorship. While it was generally acknowledged that "loose lips sink ships" it gave FDR the authority to censor political opinion at the time.

The broadly worded "War Powers Act" gave FDR virtual control of the entire media and executive order 8985 established the Bureau of Censorship. Ironically after the War the director, Byron Price, was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for censorship. While it was generally acknowledged that "loose lips sink ships" it gave FDR the authority to censor political opinion at the time.

I have a few hundred old newspapers from WWII and it certainly doesn't seem that they did much to censor political opinion, FDR is accused of being a dictator and bombing Pearl Harbor, MacArthur was the savior of Bataan and Patton took a swipe at a hospitalized soldier. Read the Hearst or Chicago Tribune for some real uncensored politics.

Forum List

Back