DECEMBER 21, 2011 4:00 A.M. The House, Harry Reid, and the Payroll Tax

A thousand dollars of real money in your pocket at the end of the year is not a gimmick to most Americans. For me that's two months of real rent.

Yes, but when you get ready to retire you may have to wait til your 80 to get social security. Is that a good trade off?

I'm sorry, but if at the age of 30 (my age) SS is your retirement plan, you have a serious problem. Personally I'm not counting on SS at all. Right now I don't think it's realistic for anyone my age to count on it being there and two, I find the concept rather immoral.

Dearest Bern. I'm sure at the age of 30 this makes sense to you. But,, none of us are guaranteed anything. I hope you keep your health and your ability to work for a long long time. Social security may not be much but it will buy the groceries or some medicine.

Why should there be any attachments?

Why not. Its a game both sides play. IMHO this is one good attachment.

The Keystone pipeline has been investigated for 3 years. The Gov of the State is on board and it will provide jobs.

Barry was going to hold off until 2013 to decide on it. Of course he's pandering to the enviro crowd. Those lovely folks pretty much told him they wouldn't support him in 2012 if the pipeline went through.

The Unions on the other hand are pushing for it because of the jobs it will privide.

Catch 22 for Barry. Should he pander to the Unions or Enviro crowd??

Jobs are a pretty good attachment in my book.

Its the games that have to stop. If the tax cuts are worth extending, then vote to extend them. Trying to push through other (big) legislation on the back of something that will directly impact middle class Americans is bullshit. If you're honest about it, you know that it's a dirty ploy to try and hijack these middle class tax cuts to pass something that doesn't have bipartisan support. That's why.

Let them decide on the pipeline separately.

Sure. Let them decide on the pipeline in 2013. Do you think the Canadians are gonna wait till 2013??

They will go West. The Chinese will be more than willing to buy the oil.

As for the extention on the tax cuts the House is looking for a year. Not 2 months. What the hell good is a two month extention??

I think its a "ploy" to extend the tax cuts for a year. A year as opposed to two months?? Works in my book.

Yes, but when you get ready to retire you may have to wait til your 80 to get social security. Is that a good trade off?

I'm sorry, but if at the age of 30 (my age) SS is your retirement plan, you have a serious problem. Personally I'm not counting on SS at all. Right now I don't think it's realistic for anyone my age to count on it being there and two, I find the concept rather immoral.

well then you need to lobby your congress person to change the law and abolish social security. Live for now.

You seem to make the same false assumption that Too Tall did. Just because I'm not concerned about SS being there for me, doesn't mean I don't have a retirement plan. You libs on the other hand, I'm not sure what you'd do without government to hold your hand through life.

Dearest Bern. I'm sure at the age of 30 this makes sense to you. But,, none of us are guaranteed anything. I hope you keep your health and your ability to work for a long long time. Social security may not be much but it will buy the groceries or some medicine.

I'm well aware of that there are no gaurantees in life (better than most). While you can't predict the future, that in itself is knowledge, and thus one can plan for the unplanned. That's where my moral objection comes in. Life's unplanned shit that is thrown our way still doesn't obligate another to provide me a standard of living.

Last edited:
Its the games that have to stop. If the tax cuts are worth extending, then vote to extend them. Trying to push through other (big) legislation on the back of something that will directly impact middle class Americans is bullshit. If you're honest about it, you know that it's a dirty ploy to try and hijack these middle class tax cuts to pass something that doesn't have bipartisan support. That's why.

games are the name of the game in DC.....ESPECIALLY with this prez....and his kowtowing press....

now that the GOP is throwing this one back in their faces......the Dims are bawling.......:eusa_boohoo:

either BO and Harry cave to what they said they wanted in the FIRST place.......or BO will get to spend his holiday in DC instead of vacationing in Hawaii......that is if he still is holding to his executive demand that everybody stay until this deal is done......:lol:

So you're ok with the same old washington politics. Got it.

take a reality pill.....you think it's going to change overnight just because it's Christmas...? :lol:

this was all started by the Dimwits i might add....this payroll tax cut (Dimwits are notorious for being AGAINST tax cuts remember...) was being used for political games.....BO was using the payroll tax cut to prove he wanted to "help the middle class".....well NOW let's see how willing to help them he really is.....

Why not. Its a game both sides play. IMHO this is one good attachment.

The Keystone pipeline has been investigated for 3 years. The Gov of the State is on board and it will provide jobs.

Barry was going to hold off until 2013 to decide on it. Of course he's pandering to the enviro crowd. Those lovely folks pretty much told him they wouldn't support him in 2012 if the pipeline went through.

The Unions on the other hand are pushing for it because of the jobs it will privide.

Catch 22 for Barry. Should he pander to the Unions or Enviro crowd??

Jobs are a pretty good attachment in my book.

Sure. Let them decide on the pipeline in 2013. Do you think the Canadians are gonna wait till 2013??

As for the extention on the tax cuts the House is looking for a year. Not 2 months. What the hell good is a two month extention??

I think its a "ploy" to extend the tax cuts for a year. A year as opposed to two months?? Works in my book.

Of course a year is better, but a year extension with no attachments. Thats not too much to ask, is it?

Of course a year is better, but a year extension with no attachments. Thats not too much to ask, is it?

so how is creating well over a 100,000 jobs not going to help the middle class........?

i'd say that is a good bargain....

Last edited:

well then you need to lobby your congress person to change the law and abolish social security. Live for now.

You seem to make the same false assumption that Too Tall did. Just because I'm not concerned about SS being there for me, doesn't mean I don't have a retirement plan. You libs on the other hand, I'm not sure what you'd do without government to hold your hand through life.

A. I'm not a lib. B. I don't depend on social security but realize that many through no fault of their own do.. you know,, the best laid plans of mice and men. and C. If you have a retirement plan I'm wishing you good health and the ability to work for a long time. Merry Christmas.

so how is creating well over a 100,000 jobs not going to help the middle class........?

It's what anybody with walking around sense would call a "win win".

Unless your looking for a job on that pipeline. Jobs are more important than the like or dislike of an attachment IMO.

Last edited:
One thousand extra dollars a year and a job.

and the demoncrats are whining about that? There is no hope for them. None.

A. I'm not a lib. B. I don't depend on social security but realize that many through no fault of their own do.. you know,, the best laid plans of mice and men. and C. If you have a retirement plan I'm wishing you good health and the ability to work for a long time. Merry Christmas.

Then let's see if you go for my SS compromise (I call it a compromise because I don't think the program ought to exist at all). Let's make SS security really do what the name says it's for; security. The top 10-15% of income earners realistically aren't going to need SS. Everyone still pays into the system but it only goes to those that need it so we ought to be able to lower the taxes collected for it.

Then let's see if you go for my SS compromise (I call it a compromise because I don't think the program ought to exist at all). Let's make SS security really do what the name says it's for; security. The top 10-15% of income earners realistically aren't going to need SS. Everyone still pays into the system but it only goes to those that need it so we ought to be able to lower the taxes collected for it.

I disagree. Here's would I would do. Make SS optional. Those who think they will need it can pay into it. Those like yourself can invest their money elsewhere. But you must sign a waiver.

games are the name of the game in DC.....ESPECIALLY with this prez....and his kowtowing press....

now that the GOP is throwing this one back in their faces......the Dims are bawling.......:eusa_boohoo:

either BO and Harry cave to what they said they wanted in the FIRST place.......or BO will get to spend his holiday in DC instead of vacationing in Hawaii......that is if he still is holding to his executive demand that everybody stay until this deal is done......:lol:

So you're ok with the same old washington politics. Got it.

take a reality pill.....you think it's going to change overnight just because it's Christmas...? :lol:

this was all started by the Dimwits i might add....this payroll tax cut (Dimwits are notorious for being AGAINST tax cuts remember...) was being used for political games.....BO was using the payroll tax cut to prove he wanted to "help the middle class".....well NOW let's see how willing to help them he really is.....

What fucking planet do you live on? Serious question.

Again, why must that be attached to middle class tax cuts? Answer, it doesn't unless you know you can't get the votes for it and are willing to hold tax cuts hostage to get it passed. I'm glad you think bargaining with the tax cuts of middle class americans is acceptable. It shows what really matters to you....and its not the middle class.

Unless your looking for a job on that pipeline. Jobs are more important than the like or dislike of an attachment IMO.

So a few thousand jobs are more important than giving a much needed tax break to over 100 millions americans? Cmon now.

I disagree. Here's would I would do. Make SS optional. Those who think they will need it can pay into it. Those like yourself can invest their money elsewhere. But you must sign a waiver.

I thought of that. The issue I have with that is most people live in the here and now. I also do actually believe in government assistance for those that truly need it. Unfortunately I think you're going to end up with too many people opting out and too many people who end up needing it for that to work out.

So a few thousand jobs are more important than giving a much needed tax break to over 100 millions americans? Cmon now.

"a few".......?

i wouldn't call well OVER 100,000 JOBS a "few".......

....and when you think of all the family and friends......there will be at least HALF A MILLION people directly affected by these jobs.....not to mention the many more indirectly affected....

what is Obama's problem with helping out the middle class.....?

Forum List

Back