DECEMBER 21, 2011 4:00 A.M. The House, Harry Reid, and the Payroll Tax

Oh so you think Keystone and jobs and spending cuts aren't good attachments??

They're attachments. Never did like omnibus bills. That's how you get a lot of the crap everybody complains about. Whether or not they're good, it's still a ploy. If the Reps are going to play games, don't expect the Dems to go along.

you're obstructionists huh? Americans need those jobs but you're going to be stubborn and not let them have those 20 thousand jobs.. way to go demonrats.
They don't want anyone to get jobs if the GOP can take credit for it.

Excellant. All can see that the GOP wish tax cuts only for the wealthy.

This is going to play very well for 2012.

Yes, besides the GOP's inability to field a viable candidate, now they're actually cutting their own throats.

There really is no excuse for Boehner’s flip-flop on this one and I hope the voters don't forget this in 2012.

Boehner's flip-flop....? what about the BO/Dem's flip-flop.....?

Boehner is only reaching hands across the aisle in a bipartisan way.....just doing exactly what BO asked for....but it seems Harry ain't playing that game anymore....

did you know that Nevada (Harry's state) has the HIGHEST unemployment in the nation....?

GOP slammed over blocking tax cut - UPI.com

Though GOP leaders say theirs is a principled stand because they want a year-long extension, not a two-month tax break, the move has brought the Republicans criticism from all sides, including the influential Wall Street Journal editorial board, not usually friendly to Democrats.

"GOP Senate leader Mitch McConnell famously said a year ago that his main task in the 112th Congress was to make sure that President Obama would not be re-elected. Given how he and House Speaker John Boehner have handled the payroll tax debate, we wonder if they might end up re-electing the president before the 2012 campaign even begins in earnest," the board wrote Wednesday.

Excellant. All can see that the GOP wish tax cuts only for the wealthy.

This is going to play very well for 2012.

Forcing 160 million wage earners to opt out of the Social Security System is quite interesting. I would have been glad to have had that option when I was 25 years old.

Why do politicians call the Social Security contribution a payroll tax? Everyone knows that FICA is a federal insurance program, don't they? If you don't pay the insurance premium you won't get to collect the benefits.

Just saying.

I'd like to see the whole thing expire. It was a gimmick to begin with. LEAVE TAXES ALONE AND CUT SPENDING.

A thousand dollars of real money in your pocket at the end of the year is not a gimmick to most Americans. For me that's two months of real rent.

Yes, but when you get ready to retire you may have to wait til your 80 to get social security. Is that a good trade off?

I'm sorry, but if at the age of 30 (my age) SS is your retirement plan, you have a serious problem. Personally I'm not counting on SS at all. Right now I don't think it's realistic for anyone my age to count on it being there and two, I find the concept rather immoral.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the whole thing expire. It was a gimmick to begin with. LEAVE TAXES ALONE AND CUT SPENDING.

A thousand dollars of real money in your pocket at the end of the year is not a gimmick to most Americans. For me that's two months of real rent.

How do you plan on paying your rent when you retire and you don't get a Social Security check?

How do you plan on paying your rent when you retire and you don't get a Social Security check?

Please tell me you are aware that there are other vehicles for generating income once a person decides to stop working. How do libs even survive when you have to ask such stupid questions? It isn't any wonder to me why our country is so screwed up. We have population that is clearly becoming more and more financially illiterate to the point that is being reflected in the people we elect to congress.

Last edited:
They BOTH want a year. It's just that the Republican measure came with strings attached. How do figure that won't backfire on them? They don't have a good record of making those kinds of plays/ploys work.

They're attachments. Never did like omnibus bills. That's how you get a lot of the crap everybody complains about. Whether or not they're good, it's still a ploy. If the Reps are going to play games, don't expect the Dems to go along.

Well I don't call jobs a game. I don't call spending cuts a game either. We need both.

Since when is it only the Reps who have attachments to bills??

I agree with the GOP House on this one, why is the Senate just extending the payroll tax cut for just two months?
Now regarding the Keystone Pipeline, isn't it true that America will not see a drop of oil from this project.
And isn't it true that the amount of Americans who would be employed run under 5,000? The pipeline doesn't pay for the extension of the payroll tax breaks.
If I'm wrong, will someone please correct me.

I don't think the number 5,000 is correct but even if it were, that's five thousand jobs we desperately need.

In the wake of our economic struggles, the United States has been looking for ways to grow our economy and put Americans back to work. There aren’t many obvious solutions, but the Keystone XL oil pipeline is one of them.

The developer of the pipeline, TransCanada, says it will create 20,000 construction and manufacturing jobs in the United States, and a report by the Perryman Group indicates that we would see an additional 118,000 indirect jobs. Nearly 1,000 companies in 47 states will have a hand in building this pipeline — injecting $20 billion into our economy, according to TransCanada.

Manufacturers are a vital sector of the American economy and use one-third of our nation’s energy supply. Affordable energy is critical to their ability to remain competitive in the global marketplace.

The State Department has done exhaustive studies on the environmental impact of the pipeline and has found no significant risks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/opinion/jobs-created-by-a-pipeline.html

I agree with the GOP House on this one, why is the Senate just extending the payroll tax cut for just two months?
Now regarding the Keystone Pipeline, isn't it true that America will not see a drop of oil from this project.
And isn't it true that the amount of Americans who would be employed run under 5,000? The pipeline doesn't pay for the extension of the payroll tax breaks.

The 1,661-mile project, which would carry 700,000 barrels of crude a day from Alberta’s oil sands to U.S. Gulf of Mexico refineries. That would be the Texas and Louisiana refineries, and they would refine the crude for US consumption.

One wrong!

The number of Americans employed to build the pipeline as well as the jobs required to build the equipment, feed the workers, transport them, provide lodging, etc. etc would far exceed 5,000.

Two wrong.

The pipeline does not pay for allowing 160 million taxpayers to avoid paying into the Social Security fund.

One right.

And, the reason the Senate picked two months is because Harry Reid is Obama's butt boy and does everything he is told to do.

How so....?

....the GOP has a plan on the table right now for a whole one YEAR extension of the payroll tax cuts.......and the Democrats only have a plan for just a measly two months.....

They BOTH want a year. It's just that the Republican measure came with strings attached. How do figure that won't backfire on them? They don't have a good record of making those kinds of plays/ploys work.

Why should there be any attachments?

All this tax holiday has done is to rob SS in the future...making a program that people has paid into and counted on more shaky. This program needs to be phased out and overhauled...but right now to many who in the next 15 or 20 years will be dependent on it for their retirement, never starting a retirement account.

No it's not true that "Americans will not see a drop of oil from this project".

The number of employees needed for this project will range in the tens of thousands.

The pipeline will not cost tax payers a single dime.

Please tell me you are aware that there are other vehicles for generating income once a person decides to stop working. How do libs even survive when you have to ask such stupid questions? It isn't any wonder to me why our country is so screwed up. We have population that is clearly becoming more and more financially illiterate to the point that is being reflected in the people we elect to congress.

I based my question on the fact that someone who pays $500 a month rent today will definitely need Social Security when they decide to quit working.

you're obstructionists huh? Americans need those jobs but you're going to be stubborn and not let them have those 20 thousand jobs.. way to go demonrats.

If it's such a good idea, why can't it stand on its own? There are all sorts of environmental and cost issues to consider first. If we rush into this and things go wrong, it'll make Solyndra look like the "Deal of the Century".

I based my question on the fact that someone who pays $500 a month rent today will definitely need Social Security when they decide to quit working.

Then you asked the question on a false basis and incorrect assumptions.

The 1,661-mile project, which would carry 700,000 barrels of crude a day from Alberta’s oil sands to U.S. Gulf of Mexico refineries. That would be the Texas and Louisiana refineries, and they would refine the crude for US consumption.

One wrong!

The number of Americans employed to build the pipeline as well as the jobs required to build the equipment, feed the workers, transport them, provide lodging, etc. etc would far exceed 5,000.

Two wrong.

The pipeline does not pay for allowing 160 million taxpayers to avoid paying into the Social Security fund.

One right.

And, the reason the Senate picked two months is because Harry Reid is Obama's butt boy and does everything he is told to do.

What are you saying here? That the estimated barrels is incorrect and that it it won't employ thousands of new workers? If so, based on what evidence?

If it's such a good idea, why can't it stand on its own? There are all sorts of environmental and cost issues to consider first. If we rush into this and things go wrong, it'll make Solyndra look like the "Deal of the Century".

"rush"...?

Obama and his green tools have been blocking the pipeline for 3 fucking years now.....

Then you asked the question on a false basis and incorrect assumptions.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bern80 View Post

So you pay more than $500 a month rent? Why did you lie?

a thousand dollars extra a year can help pay for all that expensive gas that we have because BO doesn't want us to BUY OIL oil from our friendly neighbor Canada.....we will remain more dependent on our enemies for oil....those enemies who jack up the prices whenever they feel like it....

also well over a 100,000 people won't get the benefit of an extra thousand dollars because they WON'T HAVE JOBS in the first place....

Forum List

Back