Death Tax

I work hard. I take care of my finances. I plan ahead. I invest wisely.

I do all this to leave a legacy to my family when I pass.

However, when I die, the government will take 45 percent of my estate.

Can anybody defend this?

the person inheriting the money did not earn it. and any money we earn gets taxed.

let me know if you're going to be leaving your kids more than the exempt amount. How many millions is that now?

you are aware it's something like 7 families who are running the propaganda campaign against estate tax... including the Hiltons.

poor, poor Paris.

Ha! I pretty much said the same thing. I know you don't always agree with me Jillian, but I almost always agree with you. :eusa_shhh: I won't tell anyone so they don't think you are crazy.

Can anybody defend this?

Shure. At what level does this % kick in? Thats what I thought.

PS you did not do shit by yourself.
You did whatever you did using the foundation laid for you by this country.
Your stupid kids can follow in your footsteps and get off thier lazy asses and make thier own fortune.

Can anybody defend this?

Your stupid kids can follow in your footsteps and get off thier lazy asses and make thier own fortune.

And anyone who is rich enough to worry about this knows how to get around this.

This is just a wedge issue the rich bring up because no one likes taxes.

But what they don't realize is if we give this gift to the richest Americans, then the burden will fall more on us.

Children who take over their dead parents farm should not pay a death tax.

But Paris Hilton should have to give up half of her $20 million when her parents die.

Can anybody defend this?

But what they don't realize is if we give this gift to the richest Americans, then the burden will fall more on us.

But Paris Hilton should have to give up half of her $20 million when her parents die.

why? death tax is beyond silly...you are already taxed on your earning through your life, then you die and you get taxed again just for dying. absolute most unamerican tax there is.

why? death tax is beyond silly...you are already taxed on your earning through your life, then you die and you get taxed again just for dying. absolute most unamerican tax there is.

You act like you just woke up from a coma. If you are so good at planning then you should have planned for this tax. Stop your crying. Good Americans pay thier taxes.

Apparently there's a lot of us who have difficulty feeling too terribly sorry for scions who might only be obsensely wealthy by accident of birth.

This, I find somewhat encouraging for my society to be honest

What a hoot. People who wish to control their money after death really expose themsleves as the control freaks they must be. You guys understand what death entails, right ? If you're worried about your stuff, you'd better do something with it while you're alive. Consume it, give it away, what ever.

You would rather the government get your money than your family?

The guy plays a Kazoo for a living, a joan baez wanna be.
I'm sure his tip jar is full of millions.:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Last edited:
I'm dubious.

You're going to leave twenty million dollars to your heirs, Burp?

I think that's about the amount you'd need to leave to pay 45% of your total estate to the state.

The first five million is tax free, dude.

Actually it's the first 3.5 million

I stand corrected.

Hey burp if you're kids can't get by starting out with hundreds of time the AVERAGE FAMILY salary, AFTER TAXES, then they do NOT DESERVE a damned cent.

In fact, if that's not enough money for them , then this society is damned fool for allowing them to have ANY money.

They're obviously not good enough stewarts with capital to have a lot of it

You want fair laddie?

10o% inheritance taxes are FAIR, but do they make sense? Of course not

Well O % is FAIR, but does it make sense? Also NO.

FAIR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TAXES because society isn't FAIR.

I'll tell you what the rich tell the poor every day:

Life isn't fair, get over it.

I must say, I think Bill Gates has it correct. I believe he will be leaving his kids with $25 million each. The rest will go to charity, so it cannot be taxed, which is fine. It's basically like giving the money for taxes; he'll just choose how it's spent. The point is that he doesn't believe such wealth should be passed on from generation to generation and he's putting his money where his mouth is.

Ok, so where should we come up the money to replace this revenue source if we eliminate the death taxes.

Forget about cutting spending. They're doing that all they can and that's not going to make up for this.

So either your income taxes are raised, we just toss it on the debt, we borrow from china or we increase the sales tax.

Pick one. If the Death Tax from the richest people in America isn't paying into the system, you gotta tell us where you will find the money to replace it.

I can't wait to find out if you decided that

a. You should pay more when you purchase things

b. You make up for it by paying more on your paychecks

c. Just borrow from China/Put it on the debt.

Do you not understand that if the government doesn't take money this way, they'll have to take it from somewhere else? Most likely you?

Hey Yurt. Are you sure you know what it means to be an American?

You basically said that Thomas Jefferson is unAmerican.

n a letter to Joseph Milligan on April 6, 1816, Thomas Jefferson explicitly suggested that if individuals became so rich that their wealth could influence or challenge government, then their wealth should be decreased upon their death. He wrote, "If the overgrown wealth of an individual be deemed dangerous to the State, the best corrective is the law of equal inheritance to all in equal degree..."

How Rich is Too Rich For Democracy?

Ok, so where should we come up the money to replace this revenue source if we eliminate the death taxes.

Forget about cutting spending. They're doing that all they can and that's not going to make up for this.

So either your income taxes are raised, we just toss it on the debt, we borrow from china or we increase the sales tax.

Pick one. If the Death Tax from the richest people in America isn't paying into the system, you gotta tell us where you will find the money to replace it.

Do you not understand that if the government doesn't take money this way, they'll have to take it from somewhere else? Most likely you?

The death tax is less than one percent of ALL tax revenue you fucking moron. how about we cut spending by a whopping 1% or will that just kill the economy?

n a letter to Joseph Milligan on April 6, 1816, Thomas Jefferson explicitly suggested that if individuals became so rich that their wealth could influence or challenge government, then their wealth should be decreased upon their death. He wrote, "If the overgrown wealth of an individual be deemed dangerous to the State, the best corrective is the law of equal inheritance to all in equal degree..."

And it's good for democracy to confiscate the personal property of its citizens?

if it is then why don't you donate everything you have as an example to the rest of us?

The death tax is less than one percent of ALL tax revenue you fucking moron. how about we cut spending by a whopping 1% or will that just kill the economy?

Because it is a fact that we can not get ourselves out of the mess the GOP put us in by spending cuts alone.

This is just one source of tax revenue.

Better they take it from here than take it from us, the working poor.

How about we cut spending and illiminate the income tax?

Is that possible? Please tell me why or why not.

The GOP looked at the budget and cut good social programs so they could rape the treasury.

The Dems looked at the budget and found all kinds of wasteful/fraudulent defense spending.

They also found some tax loopholes that allowed corporations to evade paying their fair share of taxes.

And we found that thousands of rich Americans were hiding their money in UBS.

Plus we are going to raise rich people's taxes.

No wonder things are slowly but surely getting better.

You Republicans said we could never go back to the 90's. Wanna bet?

Prosperity and good times, here we come again!!!:clap2:

i said no such thing and you really need to learn reading comprehension skills...or are you truly advocating that ALL wealth is deemed dangerous to the state...you do realize that death tax has NOTHING to do with whether that particular wealth is a danger to the state...

Can anybody defend this?

the person inheriting the money did not earn it. and any money we earn gets taxed.

let me know if you're going to be leaving your kids more than the exempt amount. How many millions is that now?

you are aware it's something like 7 families who are running the propaganda campaign against estate tax... including the Hiltons.

poor, poor Paris.

good of you to admit that there is rational basis for NOT taxes money on death as there are exemptions....the fact exemptions exist mean there is no need to tax any of the money and the government is merely greedy.

And it's good for democracy to confiscate the personal property of its citizens?

if it is then why don't you donate everything you have as an example to the rest of us?

I'm not rich enough.

Do you want to argue with Thomas Jefferson that it isn't good for democracy?

Thomas Jefferson said if individuals became so rich that their wealth could influence or challenge government, then their wealth should be decreased upon their death.

Now you can argue with me, but do you really want to argue with Thomas Jefferson?

Can anybody defend this?

poor, poor Paris.

good of you to admit that there is rational basis for NOT taxes money on death as there are exemptions....the fact exemptions exist mean there is no need to tax any of the money and the government is merely greedy.

See Yurt, I don't necessarily disagree with you. The tax system and Federal Reserve is a scam, you are correct.

If you watch Freedom to Fascism, it'll explain everything.

But you are correct. The way things are set up now, the government doesn't even care how much money we send them via income tax. They just come up with a budget and they don't give a damn if they have the money or not. If they don't, they just print more.

Rich Private Bankers own the Federal Reserve. Do you think they liked it when Bush doubled the Debt? Of course they did. The more we owe, the more they own us.

Did you notice Republicans passed laws that allowed credit card companies (also owned by the bankers) to charge obscene loan shark rates. Under the GOP, we Americans went further into debt. Do you think the credit card companies liked that? You bet cha.

And the GOP made it harder for us to go bankrupt. Now it cost more and it is truly a last resort.

But they made it easier for corporations to go bankrupt. Why would they do that? Could it possibly be because those companies lobbied for it? And could renigging on pensions have anything to do with it?

the inheritance tax, is taxing monies that were never taxed.... how many times does this have to be posted before it sinks in to those supporting the elimination of such?

Forum List

Back