Death Tax

the inheritance tax, is taxing monies that were never taxed.... how many times does this have to be posted before it sinks in to those supporting the elimination of such?

Would like to say how my parents accumulated over a million dollars from non-taxed dollars? Not true Care. They went through their money, not in the ways they would have chosen. It took them 60 years to save it, from EARNINGS for the vast majority. They weren't 'invested' other than in CD's they bought with EARNED income-which had been taxed.

What about the family of a small/med farmer, whose assets may well exceed 4 million, but whose income was always much lower than that? Too bad for them?

You obviously know little about farming. I grew up on a small farm. 200 acres originally purchased for $40,000 in 1957. And that price was high because it was on Orcas Island with 1500 ft of beach. Point is is that a small farm is typically way under a million in assets even today.

This "small farm" thing has been around since forever as an argument against an inheritance tax. But I challenge anyone to show that any small farm ever had to be sold because of the estate tax. I've searched for such an actual case and never found one.

Boy. It says a lot when people respond the way they have here to Burp's simple desire to help pass the fruits of his labor onto his family. I will leave it there.

Boy. It says a lot when people respond the way they have here to Burp's simple desire to help pass the fruits of his labor onto his family. I will leave it there.

I have no problem with him doing that. But his kid should have to pay the same level of tax on the money he gets as someone who works pays on the money he gets. I can't really see any good rational why Burp's kid should get money tax free and then someone who works for it has to pay a higher tax rate so that Burp's kid gets a special tax exemption. Why should Burp's kid get a special tax fee exemption? What did he do to deserve it? That seems backwards to me.

Unless the goal is simply to help the rich stay rich and do it on the back of those who work.

the inheritance tax, is taxing monies that were never taxed.... how many times does this have to be posted before it sinks in to those supporting the elimination of such?

Would like to say how my parents accumulated over a million dollars from non-taxed dollars? Not true Care. They went through their money, not in the ways they would have chosen. It took them 60 years to save it, from EARNINGS for the vast majority. They weren't 'invested' other than in CD's they bought with EARNED income-which had been taxed.

What about the family of a small/med farmer, whose assets may well exceed 4 million, but whose income was always much lower than that? Too bad for them?

You obviously know little about farming. I grew up on a small farm. 200 acres originally purchased for $40,000 in 1957. And that price was high because it was on Orcas Island with 1500 ft of beach. Point is is that a small farm is typically way under a million in assets even today.

To date no family run farm in American has EVER had to be sold to pay inheritence taxes.

Contrary to the myths we so often hear about that tragedy.

What I find most amusing aobut this thread is that is was so obviously started out by somebody who was flat lying to us.

That seems so typical of the way of these idiotic tools.

They heard some bullshit from Rush, they know absolutely NOTHING about the subject, expect what fragments of blather they can remember from RUSH, and then they come here thinking that we're as STUPID as they are.

To date no family run farm in American has EVER had to be sold to pay inheritence taxes.

Contrary to the myths we so often hear about that tragedy.

What I find most amusing aobut this thread is that is was so obviously started out by somebody who was flat lying to us.

That seems so typical of the way of these idiotic tools.

They heard some bullshit from Rush, they know absolutely NOTHING about the subject, expect what fragments of blather they can remember from RUSH, and then they come here thinking that we're as STUPID as they are.

exactly right. If memory serves me, only a fraction of less than 1% of any familys ever pay the federal estate tax. It only hits the most wealthy and affluent.

Yet, on message boards we are constantly bombarded for years on end from crybaby wingnuts whining about how the estate tax is going to fuck them over.

You're right. They're all either lying about being millionaires, or they don't have the foggiest clue how the estate tax works. Boss Limbaugh manipulated them, and like good little parrots, they get on message boards wringing their hands about how they are personally being fucked by the estate tax.

There is a dollar threshold. Believe it is over 5m, but cannot recall at the moment.

Believe the issue here is disagreeing with the principle of the inheritance tax. Introducing class warfare makes a false point.

More excitement I see.

But I do have a confession. I started this thread in an attempt to discuss and point out how unfair the death tax was. Much to my surprise, later in the thread, I found the discussion changing from a general subject to people claiming that I didn't have that much money.

In an attempt to get the thread back on course, I stated a few things that were pointed out later to contradict things I had said previously. That is what you get when you state un and half truths.

So now we can get back on track with the facts.

I do worry about the death tax. If all goes as planned, in ten years I will be at about 4.5 million. Two businesses, investing for a long time, other assets, etc., will get me there. With the threshold at 3.5 million, I am concerned. Do I plan to die at 60? Of course not. And yes, I will get my 4.5 below the threshold by doing various legal things.

Fortunately, today that 3.5 changed:

The Lincoln-Kyl amendment would raise the death tax exemption to $5 million per individual and $10 million per couple, indexed for inflation. Under this amendment, the maximum tax rate is reduced to 35%. Currently, estates valued at more than $3.5 million, or $7 million for a couple, are taxed at a 45% rate. President Obama has proposed freezing it at this level so it can be dealt with at a later date. But if Congress doesn’t act to freeze or reduce the estate tax, in 2011, it will revert to a staggering 55% tax on estates worth only $1 million or more.

Senate Vote On Death Tax Relief A Win For NCBA Members - Cattle Network

If you think about it, for someone who owns their own business, 3.5 million isn't that much. And if, in 2011, it reverts back to 55% (for estates over 1 million), then a lot more people are going to be in trouble.

Someone said that no one has ever had to sell their land to pay taxes. Wrong:

The government, should not take away the people's inheritance by forcing them to give up their property. Yet, each year families all across America are being forced to sell property to pay the Death Tax. A 2000 report by the U.S. Forest Service and Mississippi State University found that 33 percent of the forest owners were subject to the Death Tax and of those, 40 percent had to sell timber or land to pay the tax. Given that the average tree farm is worth $2 million and that the average annual income of a tree farmer is about $50,000, paying off the government's Death Tax will cause a number of families to be evicted from some, or possibly, all of their land.

Alabama Policy Institute :: A Good Man Leaves An Inheritance

I know most of you know this but I will say it anyway. This isn't how much cash you have in the bank. This is assets. Cash, businesses, property, etc.

Earlier, there were some quotations being thrown around.

Here are two more:

"Abolition of all rights of inheritance." - this is the third plank of Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto.

A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just. - Proverbs 13:22

...Someone said that no one has ever had to sell their land to pay taxes. Wrong:

The government, should not take away the people's inheritance by forcing them to give up their property. Yet, each year families all across America are being forced to sell property to pay the Death Tax. A 2000 report by the U.S. Forest Service and Mississippi State University found that 33 percent of the forest owners were subject to the Death Tax and of those, 40 percent had to sell timber or land to pay the tax. Given that the average tree farm is worth $2 million and that the average annual income of a tree farmer is about $50,000, paying off the government's Death Tax will cause a number of families to be evicted from some, or possibly, all of their land.

Is there a report of someone actually having to sell a tree farm because of the estate tax? The estate tax on $2 million is what, zero?

But I don't quite get why I'm supposed feel so bad for someone inheiriting a tree farm worth a couple million that I should want to pay higher taxes on money I've worked for so they can get their tree farm tax free.

Much less the Paris Hilons or billionaire trust fund babies.

Last edited:
"The evidence presented indicates that intergenerational transfers account for the vast majority of aggregate U.S. capital formation." - Obama's own top economic advisor, Larry Summers

The government will not get a dime of my money when I pass. I have and will take the proper steps to ensure this is the case.

I am a financial planner. I know the answer to this question. I deal with customers nearly every day who ask me the same thing.

And I show them how to make sure they don't lose a dime.

The death tax is wrong. People work hard for their money and should be able to pass it on to their family (or anyone) without fear of the government taking it.

(oh...an gezztoo, you know how stupid you sound - you don't know a thing about me)

I believe there is a minimum before they start taxing, I don't know what it is now, but about 20 years ago, it was $200,000. Seemed like a lot back then.

"The evidence presented indicates that intergenerational transfers account for the vast majority of aggregate U.S. capital formation." - Obama's own top economic advisor, Larry Summers

The government will not get a dime of my money when I pass. I have and will take the proper steps to ensure this is the case.

I am a financial planner. I know the answer to this question. I deal with customers nearly every day who ask me the same thing.

And I show them how to make sure they don't lose a dime.

The death tax is wrong. People work hard for their money and should be able to pass it on to their family (or anyone) without fear of the government taking it.

(oh...an gezztoo, you know how stupid you sound - you don't know a thing about me)

I believe there is a minimum before they start taxing, I don't know what it is now, but about 20 years ago, it was $200,000. Seemed like a lot back then.

There is. 3.5 million (although today there is a bill that increases that to 5).

The Lincoln-Kyl amendment would raise the death tax exemption to $5 million per individual and $10 million per couple, indexed for inflation. Under this amendment, the maximum tax rate is reduced to 35%. Currently, estates valued at more than $3.5 million, or $7 million for a couple, are taxed at a 45% rate. President Obama has proposed freezing it at this level so it can be dealt with at a later date. But if Congress doesn’t act to freeze or reduce the estate tax, in 2011, it will revert to a staggering 55% tax on estates worth only $1 million or more.

I don't know much about this, but I believe...if it isn't already the case...any tax should be charged against the one that receives the income. Why all the silliness? Give me $10,000 and I'll be happy to pay income taxes on it.

Alternatively, spend your money before you die and avoid the entire issue.

I don't know much about this, but I believe...if it isn't already the case...any tax should be charged against the one that receives the income. Why all the silliness? Give me $10,000 and I'll be happy to pay income taxes on it.

Alternatively, spend your money before you die and avoid the entire issue.

Seems pretty straightforward, doesn't it? That's what the fight is about.

Last edited:
apparently uncle sam does believe in prying money from people's cold dead hands....

They pry it out of warm alive hands. Why cold dead hands should get some tax exemption I can't see.

think it through....that money has already been taxed...taxing it again is a double tax.

you want to tax it as income to the beneficiary, i can see that. but that is not the way the tax works, it punishes you for being rich and dead.

More excitement I see.

But I do have a confession. I started this thread in an attempt to discuss and point out how unfair the death tax was. Much to my surprise, later in the thread, I found the discussion changing from a general subject to people claiming that I didn't have that much money.

In an attempt to get the thread back on course, I stated a few things that were pointed out later to contradict things I had said previously. That is what you get when you state un and half truths.

I do worry about the death tax. If all goes as planned, in ten years I will be at about 4.5 million. Two businesses, investing for a long time, other assets, etc., will get me there. With the threshold at 3.5 million, I am concerned. Do I plan to die at 60? Of course not. And yes, I will get my 4.5 below the threshold by doing various legal things.

If you think about it, for someone who owns their own business, 3.5 million isn't that much. And if, in 2011, it reverts back to 55% (for estates over 1 million), then a lot more people are going to be in trouble.

I know most of you know this but I will say it anyway. This isn't how much cash you have in the bank. This is assets. Cash, businesses, property, etc.

Here are two more:

"Abolition of all rights of inheritance." - this is the third plank of Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto.

A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just. - Proverbs 13:22
burp,

i hope you realize that if your estate did come to $4.5 million... God willing, that the $3.5 million of your estate would be exempt from any inheritance tax and only the $1 million over and above the $3.5 million would be taxed.

so, it would come out to $450k in taxes on your $4.5 million estate, coming out to an effective rate of 10% inheritance tax, not the 45%....if you made no moves at all to protect your money. If you did make charitable donations, it would be even less than that.

And since you quoted Proverbs from the Bible, it gives me liberty to quote the Bible as well:

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Luke 18:18-30

and

For the love of money, is the root of all evil. 1 Timothy 6:10

Please know that these Bible quotes aren't to negate your Proverbs quote regarding being wise with your money so that you don't squander it all and can pass along something to your children as inheritance, but just to remind you that if you are not wise, or humbled by your good fortune, it could come back and bite ya in the rear, on your way out.

care

More excitement I see.

Here are two more:

burp,

i hope you realize that if your estate did come to $4.5 million... God willing, that the $3.5 million of your estate would be exempt from any inheritance tax and only the $1 million over and above the $3.5 million would be taxed.

so, it would come out to $450k in taxes on your $4.5 million estate, coming out to an effective rate of 10% inheritance tax, not the 45%....if you made no moves at all to protect your money. If you did make charitable donations, it would be even less than that.

And since you quoted Proverbs from the Bible, it gives me liberty to quote the Bible as well:

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Luke 18:18-30

and

Please know that these Bible quotes aren't to negate your Proverbs quote regarding being wise with your money so that you don't squander it all and can pass along something to your children as inheritance, but just to remind you that if you are not wise, or humbled by your good fortune, it could come back and bite ya in the rear, on your way out.

care

Thank GOD for you, care! Right on, as usual. :clap2:

And Ravi, you can receive up to $12k as a tax free gift every year.

More excitement I see.

Here are two more:

burp,

and

care

so god had death taxes? kindly point out death taxes in the bible....kindly point out where god does not allow your wealth to transfer to your kids....

there were many wealthy folk written about in the bible....death taxes have absoluley zero to do with god's message about money. you're essentially saying that if you are robbed and you are wealthy, let it go....

More excitement I see.

Here are two more:

burp,

and

care

so god had death taxes? kindly point out death taxes in the bible....kindly point out where god does not allow your wealth to transfer to your kids....

there were many wealthy folk written about in the bible....death taxes have absoluley zero to do with god's message about money. you're essentially saying that if you are robbed and you are wealthy, let it go....

Didn't Jesus say, "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" ? :cool:

"does not allow your wealth to transfer" ??? :confused:

Did you miss the part highlighted in red above?

Forum List

Back