Death row inmates not guaranteed 'painless' execution, U.S. Supreme Court says

Is a slow and painful execution torture?

Cruel and unusual punishment is the threshold

No, because torture is designed to punish or extract information, not to execute.

The problem with going with another method, i.e. the Nitrogen hypoxia method, is that we all know the second the State agrees to it, The State will be sued for violating its legal execution method. If they amend their execution law, they will be sued for implementing it ex post facto.

It's the same issue with asking for a certain Chaplain to enter the chamber when the person is not authorized. They sue to get him allowed in, and if he is, they will sue because he isn't part of the rules on who is allowed in. and if they changed the rules, BOOM, back to the ex post facto argument.

This is not about the pain of this one inmate, this is about attempts to make the Death Penalty impossible via countless legal challenges.

Luckily this decision also commented on that, and hopefully lower courts will get the message.

As I recall, many forms of execution in the past were also viewed as a source of entertainment for the masses, as well as an object lesson to cow people into compliance. The executions of traitors in 18th century Great Britain, for example.

Lethal injection is as quick, painless, and humane as we have the ability to make an execution. And I'm afraid "I have a medical condition that makes it painful for you to kill me" really doesn't impress me. He'll be in less pain than his victims were by a wide margin, and it won't last as long. Besides, the ultimate point here is for him to wind up dead, anyway. Pretty sure that's not supposed to be fun.

Nope, nope, and nope. I have to disagree. Firing Squad or Hanging is the way to go.

Apathethic killers don't deserve mercy once convicted. They deserve to die. Yes, it will probably be in a less painful manner than what they put their victims through.

Doesn't matter. Kill them without putting them through cruel and unusual punishment.

Firing Squad or Hanging. Within 2 weeks after conviction. Solves so many problems!

Not sure what it is you think you're disagreeing with.

Using lethal injection or gas chamber. All bullshit.

I'm pretty sure we use those methods more for the peace of mind of the good citizens of the state than for the benefit of the condemned.

No, because torture is designed to punish or extract information, not to execute.

The problem with going with another method, i.e. the Nitrogen hypoxia method, is that we all know the second the State agrees to it, The State will be sued for violating its legal execution method. If they amend their execution law, they will be sued for implementing it ex post facto.

It's the same issue with asking for a certain Chaplain to enter the chamber when the person is not authorized. They sue to get him allowed in, and if he is, they will sue because he isn't part of the rules on who is allowed in. and if they changed the rules, BOOM, back to the ex post facto argument.

This is not about the pain of this one inmate, this is about attempts to make the Death Penalty impossible via countless legal challenges.

Luckily this decision also commented on that, and hopefully lower courts will get the message.

As I recall, many forms of execution in the past were also viewed as a source of entertainment for the masses, as well as an object lesson to cow people into compliance. The executions of traitors in 18th century Great Britain, for example.

Lethal injection is as quick, painless, and humane as we have the ability to make an execution. And I'm afraid "I have a medical condition that makes it painful for you to kill me" really doesn't impress me. He'll be in less pain than his victims were by a wide margin, and it won't last as long. Besides, the ultimate point here is for him to wind up dead, anyway. Pretty sure that's not supposed to be fun.

Nope, nope, and nope. I have to disagree. Firing Squad or Hanging is the way to go.

Apathethic killers don't deserve mercy once convicted. They deserve to die. Yes, it will probably be in a less painful manner than what they put their victims through.

Doesn't matter. Kill them without putting them through cruel and unusual punishment.

Firing Squad or Hanging. Within 2 weeks after conviction. Solves so many problems!

I'm pretty sure we use those methods more for the peace of mind of the good citizens of the state than for the benefit of the condemned.

More like leftist traitors. Fuck that shit! :mad:

Here's how it's done:

That's unAMerican. Hanging or firing squad.
Too much ceremony. It should be like flushing a toilet.

Also more for the benefit of people other than the condemned. It provides a sense of gravitas and closure to the spectators.

I watched an execution once. I actually kinda enjoyed the ceremony, and the feeling that the weight of law and justice was falling on his stupid ass.

Here's how it's done:

That's unAMerican. Hanging or firing squad.
Too much ceremony. It should be like flushing a toilet.

Also more for the benefit of people other than the condemned. It provides a sense of gravitas and closure to the spectators.

I watched an execution once. I actually kinda enjoyed the ceremony, and the feeling that the weight of law and justice was falling on his stupid ass.

Public hangings are just as good or better.

He kills his ex-lover’s new boyfriend, kidnaps and rapes her, shoots at her 6-year-old son and a police officer. Too bad the cops didn’t kill him when they had the chance.

He plays the appeals game for years and gets a stay with the support of Justice Kennedy. His latest ploy is to complain that a lethal injection will cause him pain due to a congenital condition.

In a decision that exposed stark divisions among the justices on the death penalty, the court ruled 5-4 that Bucklew had failed to present enough evidence to pursue his request to be executed by lethal gas. The court’s five conservatives were in the majority and its four liberals dissented.

Referring to the history of capital punishment, conservative Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote for the court’s majority that “the Eighth Amendment does not guarantee a prisoner a painless death - something that, of course, isn’t guaranteed to many people, including most victims of capital crimes.”

Does that mean that states are now free to reinstate electric chairs, gas chambers, hanging, or even firing squads?

We can only hope.

More @ Death row inmates not guaranteed 'painless' execution, U.S. Supreme Court says | Reuters

He should have been hanged 20 years ago. Stop the insanity!
Capital punishment is state sponsored murder. How can anyone who even claims to be a Christian, like most Trump voters, believe it is moral for the state to pay a stranger to inject a prisoner strapped to a gurney with poison? Can you imagine Jesus saying he was cool with that? And we know for a fact states who use capital punishment have higher homicide rates than states who do not...and countries that have capital punishment, with only Japan as the exception, have much much higher murder rates than those who do not. So it is not a deterrent, in fact, it may be just the opposite. Remember how Ted Bundy killed a bunch of people in Washington, a state with little or not capital punishment, to move to Florida to continue his killing, a state with the second highest rate of capital punishment? If the death penalty was that big a deterrent would he have done that?

And as far as torturing people, only a sadistic loser would suggest that. That is how they treat murderers and even thieves in Muslim countries, maybe you would be happier there knowing murderers are put to death in very painful ways. What a sick little puppy you must be to get off on the pain of others, even miserable human beings who have committed such awful heinous crime. Only God can punish such people the right way, and those who would torture him here are no better morally than he is.

Simple answer.
The cost of supporting these menaces to society for like is far to expensive .
Those that committed certain crimes can not be cured or reformed and are a danger to others even in jail

More like leftist traitors. Fuck that shit! :mad:

Nah. Just everyday people who've lived for generations in a civilized society. My feeling is that I'd prefer to do it in whatever way keeps Joe Sixpack from balking and demanding an end to executing heinous monsters, for efficiency's sake.

He kills his ex-lover’s new boyfriend, kidnaps and rapes her, shoots at her 6-year-old son and a police officer. Too bad the cops didn’t kill him when they had the chance.

He plays the appeals game for years and gets a stay with the support of Justice Kennedy. His latest ploy is to complain that a lethal injection will cause him pain due to a congenital condition.

In a decision that exposed stark divisions among the justices on the death penalty, the court ruled 5-4 that Bucklew had failed to present enough evidence to pursue his request to be executed by lethal gas. The court’s five conservatives were in the majority and its four liberals dissented.

Referring to the history of capital punishment, conservative Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote for the court’s majority that “the Eighth Amendment does not guarantee a prisoner a painless death - something that, of course, isn’t guaranteed to many people, including most victims of capital crimes.”

Does that mean that states are now free to reinstate electric chairs, gas chambers, hanging, or even firing squads?

We can only hope.

More @ Death row inmates not guaranteed 'painless' execution, U.S. Supreme Court says | Reuters

Capital punishment is state sponsored murder. How can anyone who even claims to be a Christian, like most Trump voters, believe it is moral for the state to pay a stranger to inject a prisoner strapped to a gurney with poison? Can you imagine Jesus saying he was cool with that? And we know for a fact states who use capital punishment have higher homicide rates than states who do not...and countries that have capital punishment, with only Japan as the exception, have much much higher murder rates than those who do not. So it is not a deterrent, in fact, it may be just the opposite. Remember how Ted Bundy killed a bunch of people in Washington, a state with little or not capital punishment, to move to Florida to continue his killing, a state with the second highest rate of capital punishment? If the death penalty was that big a deterrent would he have done that?

And as far as torturing people, only a sadistic loser would suggest that. That is how they treat murderers and even thieves in Muslim countries, maybe you would be happier there knowing murderers are put to death in very painful ways. What a sick little puppy you must be to get off on the pain of others, even miserable human beings who have committed such awful heinous crime. Only God can punish such people the right way, and those who would torture him here are no better morally than he is.

Simple answer.
The cost of supporting these menaces to society for like is far to expensive .
Those that committed certain crimes can not be cured or reformed and are a danger to others even in jail

Hang them within 2 weeks of being convicted!

We can only hope.

Dandy. Now tell us your stance on late-term abortion
Any " Baby" under 18 is fair game

We can only hope.

Sorry, but for some crimes 3 hots and a cot for the rest of a person's life isn't a sufficient punishment.
For others it's a fate worse than death.

Executions should be as inglorious as possible. Once again, all the pomp and circumstance of flushing a toilet, which in some ways it is.

Personally, I'd have felt cheated by that.
That's kinda the point.

Because you have some vested interest in leaving victims and their families without a sense of closure and that justice has been served?
I thought you would feel cheated being the condemned. How about shooting the bullet to the back of the head.

We can only hope.

Cruel and unusual punishment

Is excruciating pain cruel?

Cruel and unusual punishment

Is excruciating pain cruel?

Is caging them in an 8x12 cell?

relieve them of their misery.

Put them in a coffin

Sorry, but for some crimes 3 hots and a cot for the rest of a person's life isn't a sufficient punishment.

I disagree.

Life in prison is not living, it’s being alive. A big difference.

Given the choice, I’d rather they take me out and be done with it.

Executions should be as inglorious as possible. Once again, all the pomp and circumstance of flushing a toilet, which in some ways it is.

Personally, I'd have felt cheated by that.
That's kinda the point.

Because you have some vested interest in leaving victims and their families without a sense of closure and that justice has been served?
I thought you would feel cheated being the condemned. How about shooting the bullet to the back of the head.

I don't personally care about the manner of execution, although I recognize that society had a variety of valid reasons for switching methods. I am, however, considering the fact that using a method considered to be more brutal would have the effect of increasing societal objection to execution. I don't think that's a consequence you would want.

Forum List

Back