Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Just A Man, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Just A Man

Just A Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I see in the news some states are considering doing away with the death penalty due to the costs involved. It seems it's cheaper to keep someone in prison for the remainder of their life. What a situation we have worked ourselves into. The statement by itself smacks of lunacy.

Why is it so expensive to put a convicted killer to death as his punishment for taking innocent lives?

It's the lawyers, judges and the bleeding heart liberals. Some people can't handle the idea of killing a killer, but they ignore the victims. The lawyers keep the appeals ongoing to line their pockets. Lawyers charge by the hour to represent the human predator and appeal after appeal insures them of a continuous paycheck paid by us hard working, law abiding taxpayers. We also pay for the prosecutors to continue returning to court to present the case against the killers. The judges have no backbone, think they're being fair, ignoring the victims.

Liberals who support killers may be winning. Those who care more for money than justice may be winning.

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,857
    Liberals who support killers may be winning. Those who care more for money than justice may be winning.

no discussion is needed here...you have made up your mind and labeled others before allowing any imput....enjoy your limited and narrow mind

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I think we need to remove predators from the population, but I don't think the state should be in the business of killing people. I don't agree with the endless appeals either. Give them 1 trial, 1 appeal, then lock them up - forever. I'm sure it would be cheaper to take 'em out back knock their head in with a shovel, but I think if we're going to assume the moral responsibility to police society we should draw the line at a place where we are better than those we're trying to punish. And by that I mean, we sorta lose the moral high ground when we too are killers.

4. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,103
    The Catholic church is against the death penalty and abortion. How come Norte Dame let Bush the executioner speak but they have a problem with pro choice obama speaking?

To the catholic church, both are equally wrong.

5. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    The death penalty should not be used for murderers of one because it then strips such a person of an incentive against committing additional murders, providing a perverse motivation to commit additional murders and violently resist attempts at capture by police.

6. Just A Man

Just A Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Human predators should not be allowed to breath the air shared by law-abiding people. It's our government's job to protect the people and thus they should be doing the organized killing as humanely as possible. I don't want human predators to suffer, I want a swift death for them and then flush them. I ain't worrying about someone saying I'm no better than the human predators if I want the death penalty, I want the bad guys to know if they kill an innocent person then they lose their life. It ain't complicated although people who have trouble making tough decisions may not want the death penalty, I understand that. I respect all opinions when well stated, that's what we do here, share opinions.

7. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    The problem involved is that such a policy is irrational. There will be no deterrence motivation for mass murderers if an individual is executed after a single murder, and it will thus also serve as an incentive for such persons to violently resist police attempts to capture them, since they'll be killed no matter what the outcome.

8. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    State sanctioned murder remains murder, and too many innocent people have been killed by the state after being wrongfully convicted of murder.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    It's also necessary to consider the irrational "emotional" approach that many Americans take in consideration of the death penalty rather than a more rational and objective one. For instance, there is much to be derived from Garland's Peculiar Forms of American Capital Punishment:

The nature of the application of the death penalty having a "lynch mob mentality" is obviously a troubling facet of its usage.

10. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    In the past, true, but now there are many cases that are almost 100% without doubt (science calls it 99.999999999~%) due to advances in evidence collection. In such cases when there is no doubt that rehabilitation is not an option, there is little choice and no reason to keep them around.