Dear GOP, stop saying "Close loopholes, lower the rates and expand the tax base"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rdean, Nov 2, 2011.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,900
    We know what it means.

It means the wealthy should pay less taxes and the poor should pay more.

Everybody pays taxes. It's a lie to say they don't.

Next, they'll be shouting, "Let him die" or applauding executions. I know, that seems really far fetched with so many being Christian and all.

Should we "expand the base"?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    First, a small percentage of a very big number is bigger than a big percentage of a small number. The wider the tax base, the larger the tax collection.

Second, the higher the tax rate, the more loopholes pay off. High tax rates encourage political cheating and scamming of the tax code. Lower rates that everyone pays are better than high rates that no one pays because they made pay offs. If there are no exemptions, we get the whole tax. A lower rate with 98.6% compliance is worth a lot more than a high rate that is so full of holes it is there only as an ornament to cupidity and envy with no revenue produced at all.

As to everyone pays taxes, there is a reason there is something called the AMT. And people manage to skate past that.

YOur next paragraph makes no sense in terms of the preceding. The first half is from some lefty stooge. As to the second, well people like it when the bad guys go down. Remember how this board responded with the extra judicial killings of Osama, that American dude that was his next in line, and of course Qadaffi. Those cheers you heard were not exclucivly from one side, you know.

As to the next rhetorical question... as far as taxes, the answer is an unequivocal yes.

Now the next question..... what precisely are you smoking there? Are you getting enough oxygen in your system? I kind of doubt it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    And if they go that far, what's to stop them from booing a gay service member or saying, "If you don't Have a job and you are not rich, blame yourself"? Imagine the world in which that sickening scenario would take place.

4. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    That statement is not in general true.
    It depends on what numbers you use. Did you make it past 5th grade?

And widening the tax base doesn't?

That's like saying higher penalties for crimes encourage lying under oath - therefore, we should never increase the penalty for a crime.

Its also grossly ignorant of the FACT that tax collections as a % of GDP are at present hovering lower than they have in decades.

I JUST WANNA MAKE SURE I GET THIS ONE STRAIGHT - YOU'RE TELLING US THAT ITS HARDER FOR A SHRIMP BOAT CAPTAIN WHO DEALS EXCLUSIVELY IN CASH AND MAKES 30K A YEAR TO EVADE TAXES THAN A WEALTHY INVESTOR WHO MAKES $10,000,000 A YEAR TRADING ELECTRONICALLY ON THE NASDAQ?

The two groups most frequently audited by the IRS are the rich and the poor. The rich because there is a lot more to gain from catching a rich person evading taxes - the poor because its so damn easy for folks with cash incomes to just not report it. Just think of the shear volume of cash TIPS received by wait staff, bartenders, valet parkers, etc. etc. etc. - you think its hard for them to just NOT REPORT that income?

By no means am I suggesting its OK for the poor to cheat on their taxes anymore than the rich -it isn't- point is, your above argument requires that it be easier for the rich to cheat on their taxes than the poor - and its just not true.

The middle class have the hardest time cheating because they typically get most of their income by check.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,900
    I can't imagine Americans doing those kinds of things. It's not what we are about.

6. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Try everyone paying an equal rate... you know... like you screaming for other 'equality in treatment' ONLY when it benefits you

You fucking cum guzzling gutter slut winger

And no, not everybody pays federal income tax.... and the 'evil' rich you ignorantly complain about also pay little things called gas tax, luxury tax, airport taxes, etc just like everyone else... it's just that it is about time that the preferential treatment of any citizen or group of citizens STOPS...

7. driveby

driveby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    This thread means RDean now has a phone he can post from while hanging around Wall St. pissing all over himself.......

8. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    We're getting close to the point where half of the country pays no federal income tax, and some even get rebates back. I think that's a problem, we should have more taxpayers, even if it isn't for that much. Yes, I know some of them already pay the SS tax, sales taxes, property taxes and the rest. But I think broadening the tax base is a good idea, just as eventually we should raise taxes on the upper crust. But today is not the time to raise anybody's taxes, we oughta wait until the economy is more stable and growing. Clinton said that awhile back, and so did Obama himself a few years ago.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    no. that's not what it means at all.

But regardless, you wont get me to stop saying that. This nation still has liberty for the time being. And even if it didn't it's the truth.

10. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122

Obama is going around saying that everyone isn't paying their fair share and he's right. When are those (nearly) 50% who aren't paying any fed tax gonna start paying their fair share?