Deadbeat Dads or Deadbeat NATO countries. Pay up.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Meet your obligations. No excuses. We've had nearly 20 years of NATO countries quietly bailing on their financial commitments to NATO. We've had 20 years of American Presidents wringing their hands with a weak grin saying "you know, maybe you guys could pay a little more, and I don't mean that in a bad way, and and only if you want to. Gosh hope that wasn't too harsh".

Trump is the first President with the cojones to stare them in the eye and simply say "Pay up". Just like deadbeat Dads bailing on child support. It Isn't fun but it's your responsibility.

Meet your obligations. No excuses. We've had nearly 20 years of NATO countries quietly bailing on their financial commitments to NATO. We've had 20 years of American Presidents wringing their hands with a weak grin saying "you know, maybe you guys could pay a little more, and I don't mean that in a bad way, and and only if you want to. Gosh hope that wasn't too harsh".

Trump is the first President with the cojones to stare them in the eye and simply say "Pay up". Just like deadbeat Dads bailing on child support. It Isn't fun but it's your responsibility.
Charles Krauthammer says the amount those countries owe is a drop in the bucket. Won't matter a damn when it counts. And he reminded us that the 5th has been declared just once--to defend the U.S. after 9/11. So I don't think it's so cool to be dunning them like deadbeats. If they pay more, fine. I haven't got anything against it, either, but the way Trump approached it is NOTHING to be bragging about, imo.

Charles Krauthammer says the amount those countries owe is a drop in the bucket. Won't matter a damn when it counts. And he reminded us that the 5th has been declared just once--to defend the U.S. after 9/11. So I don't think it's so cool to be dunning them like deadbeats. If they pay more, fine. I haven't got anything against it, either, but the way Trump approached it is NOTHING to be bragging about, imo.
American presidents have been saying this for years. Trump is the first to openly do so in their leaders faces. Snowflakes are doubtlessly horrified, but their days are over.

American presidents have been saying this for years. Trump is the first to openly do so in their leaders faces. Snowflakes are doubtlessly horrified, but their days are over.
If the US wasn't the arms dealer to the world, often supplying both sides of a given conflict, maybe we wouldn't require so much from NATO. Lecturing NATO while making a $110B arms deal with the Wahabist Saudis is schizophrenic, but that IS US foreign policy; schizophrenic.

If the US wasn't the arms dealer to the world, often supplying both sides of a given conflict, maybe we wouldn't require so much from NATO. Lecturing NATO while making a $110B arms deal with the Wahabist Saudis is schizophrenic, but that IS US foreign policy; schizophrenic.
There are many arms dealers to the world. Those countries allied to the US and can afford them are recipients and have been for decades. Other countries purchase the arms they can afford from less regulated suppliers.

There are many arms dealers to the world. Those countries allied to the US and can afford them are recipients and have been for decades. Other countries purchase the arms they can afford from less regulated suppliers.
War profiteers need endless war, and "terrorism". Pretty straight forward stuff.

When you put it like that, you might have a point.

Russia sells arms to China.

China selling arms and buying arms from Russia, Ukraine and France.

'Murica

Well who WERE previous presidents saying it to? Just complaining here at home and then not mentioning it at meetings? If so, maybe that means all those other presidents didn't find it terribly important in the grand scheme of things. Like Krauthammer said.
Besides, it was a tacky sell. He sounded like a credit collector without the thick Indian accent.

'Murica
I'm sure you think there was a point there somewhere don'tcha shoog.

War profiteers need endless war, and "terrorism". Pretty straight forward stuff.
That's stupid kid. We are talking about arms manufacturers who simply need countries willing to defend themselves from aggression. Societies have police forces for very much the same thing in an internal sense.

If you take the blessings of simplification too far, you are left with nonsense.

Well who WERE previous presidents saying it to? Just complaining here at home and then not mentioning it at meetings? If so, maybe that means all those other presidents didn't find it terribly important in the grand scheme of things. Like Krauthammer said.
Besides, it was a tacky sell. He sounded like a credit collector without the thick Indian accent.
Don is merely acting all Jerry Springerish showlike because he understands that's what his base responds to; boastful ignorance.

It sets the tone and precedent. Either do what America wants or we drop you like a hot potato.

That's stupid kid. We are talking about arms manufacturers who simply need countries willing to defend themselves from aggression. Societies have police forces for very much the same thing in an internal sense.

If you take the blessings of simplification too far, you are left with nonsense.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, from the masses, from their own people. And then we lecture them for it. Sometimes we even go in and take the thing down, but hey, it's all profit and Wall Street loves it.

'Murica
Yes sweetums.

'Murica is not the only arms dealer.

It sets the tone and precedent. Either do what America wants or we drop you like a hot potato.
No we don't, not at all.

'Murica
Yes sweetums.

We do partner in that, yes. And we sold North Korea nuclear reactors a mere two years before they wound up on an "axis of evil" list. Sold from a company Don Rumsfeld had once sat on the board if directors of. Utterly bipartisan little episode initiated under Clinton and wrapped up under Bush. And the US taxpayer provided funding to assist in the closing of the deal.

'Murica
Yes sweetums.

We do partner in that, yes. And we sold North Korea nuclear reactors a mere two years before they wound up on an "axis of evil" list. Sold from a company Don Rumsfeld had once sat on the board if directors of. Utterly bipartisan little episode initiated under Clinton and wrapped up under Bush. And the US taxpayer provided funding to assist in the closing of the deal.
Well known and business as usual.

We continuously fund the world's demise.

Maybe we should take a step back and let the rest of the world destroy themselves.

'Murica
Yes sweetums.

Well known and business as usual.

We continuously fund the world's demise.

Maybe we should take a step back and let the rest of the world destroy themselves.
We're not that patient and there's money to be made. Besides, the point is more war = more profit.

The Yellow one before the Orange one for starters, but it goes back to Ford, Carter I think.

Obama urges NATO members to pull their weight

Forum List

Back