DC Man Found Guilty of Possessing Ammo

Meister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2009
Conservative part of the Northwest
Exclusive — Shock verdict — Mark Witaschek guilty of possessing muzzleloader bullets in D.C.

In a surprising twist at the end of a long trial, a District of Columbia judge found Mark Witaschek guilty of “attempted possession of unlawful ammunition” for antique replica muzzleloader bullets.
Judge Robert Morin sentenced Mr. Witaschek to time served, a $50 fine and required him to enroll with the Metropolitan Police Department’s firearm offenders’ registry within 48 hours.
Mr. Witaschek’s attorney Howard X. McEachern shook his client’s hand and said, “We’re not done.” Mr. McEachern plans to appeal the decision.
I asked the defense attorney for his opinion of the verdict. “Clearly the judge thought that this was overkill — the sentence reflects how he felt about the prosecution of this case,” he replied.
Until the final hours of the trial, both the defense and government focused the case on whether the single 12 gauge shotgun shell that was found in Mr. Witaschek’s D.C. home was operable. The judge, however, never ruled on it.
The 25 conical-shaped, .45 caliber bullets, made by Knight out of lead and copper, sat on the judge’s desk. They do not have primer or gunpowder so cannot be propelled. The matching .50 caliber plastic sabots were also in the box.

Read more: MILLER: Exclusive ? Shock verdict ? Mark Witaschek guilty of possessing muzzleloader bullets in D.C. - Washington Times
Follow us: [MENTION=39892]Was[/MENTION]htimes on Twitter

No firearms were found at the residence.
Please, someone tell me that this administration isn't going after the Second Amendment.

During the "overkill" arrest period, there were two murders in the DC area. I guess the justice dept had their priorities in line.

Firearm offender registry for the possession of some hunks of lead in the shape of Civil War bullets while the Attorney General avoids prosecution for the murder of a Border Patrol agent killed with one of thousands of illegal weapons shipped to Mexico. The world is upside down.

Forum List

Back