Darwin, the Destroyer

Pogroms, inquisition, jihad, crusades, the rack and flame to avoid the shedding of blood during torture, burning at the stake, etc.

Science is about acquiring knowledge, religion is about acquiring faith.

Both are put to bad uses by bad people, as both are put to good uses by good people.

There is no morality to science. Just who has imposed on the suffering human race poison gas, barbed wire, high explosives, experiments in eugenics, the formula for Zyklon B, heavy artillery,
pseudo-scientific justifications for mass murder, cluster bombs, attack submarines, napalm, inter continental ballistic missiles, military space platforms, and nuclear weapons?

Religion???

See if you can find same here:

First World War (1914–18): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 million
Russian Civil War (1917–22): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 million
Soviet Union, Stalin’s regime (1924–53): . . . . . . . . . 20 million
Second World War (1937–45): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55 million
Chinese Civil War (1945–49): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5 million
People’s Republic of China, Mao Zedong’s
regime (1949–75): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40 million
Tibet (1950 et seq.): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600,000
Congo Free State (1886–1908): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 million
Mexico (1910–20): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 million
China (1917–28): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 800,000
China, Nationalist era (1928–37): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.1 million
Korean War (1950–53): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.8 million
North Korea (1948 et seq.): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 million

You did not get it all, go back and look it up, PC.

The above is about man's inhumanity to man, in which science, religion, and atheism all played their parts.

You left out Stalin went to seminary and that Hitler and Mussolini were Catholics (that last part always drives CaliforniaGirl wild).

Once again, quit mistaking your sentimentality as sentiment: it is not.

Last edited:
Pogroms, inquisition, jihad, crusades, the rack and flame to avoid the shedding of blood during torture, burning at the stake, etc.

Science is about acquiring knowledge, religion is about acquiring faith.

Both are put to bad uses by bad people, as both are put to good uses by good people.

There is no morality to science. Just who has imposed on the suffering human race poison gas, barbed wire, high explosives, experiments in eugenics, the formula for Zyklon B, heavy artillery,
pseudo-scientific justifications for mass murder, cluster bombs, attack submarines, napalm, inter continental ballistic missiles, military space platforms, and nuclear weapons?

Religion???
Your examples number in the hundreds.
See if you can find same here:

First World War (1914–18): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 million
Russian Civil War (1917–22): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 million
Soviet Union, Stalin’s regime (1924–53): . . . . . . . . . 20 million
Second World War (1937–45): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55 million
Chinese Civil War (1945–49): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5 million
People’s Republic of China, Mao Zedong’s
regime (1949–75): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40 million
Tibet (1950 et seq.): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600,000
Congo Free State (1886–1908): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 million
Mexico (1910–20): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 million
China (1917–28): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 800,000
China, Nationalist era (1928–37): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.1 million
Korean War (1950–53): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.8 million
North Korea (1948 et seq.): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 million

Berlinski points out, even in the 19th century, as religious conviction waned, the warnings were there. Ivan Karamazov, in “The Brothers Karamazov,” exclaimed ‘if God does not exist, then everything is permitted.’

You did not get it all, go back and look it up, PC. The genocide of the American aborigines was motivated in part by Christianity, 80 or 90 million to start with, for instance. An easy million during the Crusades. Another million during the Armenian genocide.

You left out Stalin went to seminary and that Hitler and Mussolini were Catholics (that last part always drives CaliforniaGirl wild), FDR who was Dutch Reformed, or Churchill who was Anglican.

Once again, quit mistaking your sentimentality as sentiment: it is not. You cannot excuse religion by focusing only on the error's of the clergy. The is about man's inhumanity to man, in which science, religion, and atheism all played their parts.

Last edited:
Nor is denying reality.

Whose reality? Reality is subjective to the observer - not truth.

Gee, I was kinda hoping that someone would see the reason for the examples in item #5...

...whether there is a societal benefit to those behaviors.

And compared same to behavior suggested by biblical values.

Like I said, reality is subjective, not truth. What's real to you is a joke to me and my reality makes me a loon in your eyes.

The good news is that it simply doesn't matter. We can even meet in the middle on the internet and communicate and stuff 'cause we both bleed red.

Life being chemical and not miraculous doesn't make it any less amazing.

Whose reality? Reality is subjective to the observer - not truth.

Gee, I was kinda hoping that someone would see the reason for the examples in item #5...

...whether there is a societal benefit to those behaviors.

And compared same to behavior suggested by biblical values.

Like I said, reality is subjective, not truth. What's real to you is a joke to me and my reality makes me a loon in your eyes.

The good news is that it simply doesn't matter. We can even meet in the middle on the internet and communicate and stuff 'cause we both bleed red.

Life being chemical and not miraculous doesn't make it any less amazing.

"....my reality makes me a loon in your eyes."

I never said that, nor do I believe it.

I'm not shy, Joe....I'd say it if I believed it.

Is it being proposed that we maintain the rules and morality of religion without hierarchy? That's a step in the correct direction.

It still leaves folks with the false idea that these are externally imposed and not internally accepted.

Belief is choice.

Choosing to believe in a religion means that choosing not to is also an option.

Another thoughtful thread by PoliticalChic. :)

Tsekung asked, "Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?" Confucius replied, "It is the word shu--reciprocity: Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you."

^^This has worked well for me. The Golden Rule, if you will.

Also: "Develop a profound belief in the universal law of cause and effect---the empowering belief that we all ultimately direct our own lives." And I do.

Also I am mindful of this wisdom: Cultivation of tolerance for other faiths will impart to us a truer understanding of our own.

Is your religion environmentalism?

where did i ever mention religion?

try harder to be cute.

Well, this is the Religion and Ethics thread. I assumed you could read.

ha, you got me there.

i did not realize that this was placed in that section.

i assumed it was the rubber room.

so, i will answer your serious question and apologize for my shenanigans.

my religion is not enviromentalism.

any further questions?

Is it being proposed that we maintain the rules and morality of religion without hierarchy? That's a step in the correct direction.

It still leaves folks with the false idea that these are externally imposed and not internally accepted.

Belief is choice.

Choosing to believe in a religion means that choosing not to is also an option.

Another thoughtful thread by PoliticalChic. :)

Tsekung asked, "Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?" Confucius replied, "It is the word shu--reciprocity: Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you."

^^This has worked well for me. The Golden Rule, if you will.

Also: "Develop a profound belief in the universal law of cause and effect---the empowering belief that we all ultimately direct our own lives." And I do.

Also I am mindful of this wisdom: Cultivation of tolerance for other faiths will impart to us a truer understanding of our own.

"...the empowering belief that we all ultimately direct our own lives."

And that reinforces the point of the OP....that materialism, Darwinism, the idea that we are no more than the combination of biological systems, is false.

Thank you for that.

where did i ever mention religion?

try harder to be cute.

Well, this is the Religion and Ethics thread. I assumed you could read.

ha, you got me there.

i did not realize that this was placed in that section.

i assumed it was the rubber room.

so, i will answer your serious question and apologize for my shenanigans.

my religion is not enviromentalism.

any further questions?

Is environmentalism a religion?

Two posts...but neither commenting on the OP?

Slipping, birdie?

wha?

i no longer comment on your "OP"s.

you should know that.

i am merely interested in your well being.

and i want to dissect your brain, for scientific reasons.

I find that kind of creepy.... and I'm a little sociopathic :eek:

seems to be a personal problem.

for scientific reasons i would like to take a closer look at your brain, too.

Forum List

Back