Darrelle Revis returns to Jets

Good sign by the Jets if for no other reason Revis will no longer be a Patriot.

I am not sure why the Pats didn't try to resign him, however they are defending Super Bowl champs and seem to know what they are doing.

I don't see Revis adding anymore wins.
They did try and were 5 million short. They also let go of Browning and Wilfork. The Flats wanting things their own way and word is they could not come up with the escrow for the guaranteed money due to cap constraints or maybe another reason. As it stands Revis still counts 5 million against the cap for next year.

Source?

From what I'm hearing, the Patriots may have bowed out of the bidding war as early as Monday night, essentially allowing the Jets to bid against themselves, and also that the two offers (Pats and Jets) were not remotely close.

Which shouldn't surprise anyone. The Patriots are not a team that overspends on players, no matter how good they are. First ballot Hall of Famer and possible GOAT Tom Brady is going to make $8 million next year. Jay Cutler made $22.5 million last year. It's just the way they do things in Foxboro.

I'd have loved for them to keep Revis, but I'm also okay with him basically being a one year rental that helped get them a 4th ring.
Look at post 9

I didn't see anything in that article saying that the Pats couldn't come up with the money like you claimed, just a lot of butthurt anger that they wouldn't. And like I said, reports are starting to come in indicating that the gap between the two offers might've been substantial. We don't know what the Pats offer was, maybe we'll find out, that stuff usually leaks somehow.

I do not know where you are just turn on any Boston based sports radio station also

Jason La Canfora on Twitter We ll see if any one else trumps that. Patriots had been in the mid-30s in terms of guaranteed money. KC has been in it as well.

Btw, anyone remember how mad people were that the Pats wouldn't match Welker's offer from the Broncos? Or when they traded Logan Mankins and apparently the sky was falling? Obviously Revis is a player on an entirely different level, but the Patriots front office have made plenty of unpopular decisions about players over the year and they're still averaging 12 wins a season and just won the Super Bowl. So, as always, In Bill I Trust.
Just won a SB and deconstructed the team the won it.

Btw, anyone remember how mad people were that the Pats wouldn't match Welker's offer from the Broncos? Or when they traded Logan Mankins and apparently the sky was falling? Obviously Revis is a player on an entirely different level, but the Patriots front office have made plenty of unpopular decisions about players over the year and they're still averaging 12 wins a season and just won the Super Bowl. So, as always, In Bill I Trust.

And? It's no surprise that Revis was only around for a year, he was a mercenary brought in under his real value on what was essentially a 1 year prove it deal so he could take a stellar season out into the open market. The Patriots were never ever going to pick up his $20 million option. Do I wish they'd been able to keep him? Of course, there's no one else available who can replace him. But it's not like this was a surprise.

Browner? He doesn't make sense in their defensive scheme without Revis. Also no huge surprise.

Wilfork? That one might sting but he's not officially gone yet.

McCourty was set to be one of the biggest prizes in free agency, and they locked him back in for less than what other teams offered.

Vereen? That one hurt because I love the guy, but there's just no way the Patriots were going to match that kind of money when they're RBBC anyway.

How horribly have the Patriots really done here? Not all that bad from my perspective.

And? It's no surprise that Revis was only around for a year, he was a mercenary brought in under his real value on what was essentially a 1 year prove it deal so he could take a stellar season out into the open market. The Patriots were never ever going to pick up his $20 million option. Do I wish they'd been able to keep him? Of course, there's no one else available who can replace him. But it's not like this was a surprise.

Browner? He doesn't make sense in their defensive scheme without Revis. Also no huge surprise.

Wilfork? That one might sting but he's not officially gone yet.

McCourty was set to be one of the biggest prizes in free agency, and they locked him back in for less than what other teams offered.

Vereen? That one hurt because I love the guy, but there's just no way the Patriots were going to match that kind of money when they're RBBC anyway.

How horribly have the Patriots really done here? Not all that bad from my perspective.
Horribly? not my word, deconstruct the team that could have been another winner? makes no sense to me.

This is an interesting take on the situation.

"It’s back to playing soft zone defense in Foxboro, as the New England Patriots have cut ties with free-agent cornerback Darrelle Revis, who proclaimed he was going home Tuesday night — signing a five-year, $70 million contract with $39 million guaranteed with the New York Jets.

For those of you who have watched the Patriots from the 2000s to the present, you saw an evolution in the way they play defense with last season’s acquisitions of Revis and cornerback Brandon Browner. It was back to the days of the championship years, where Bill Belichick could put a cornerback on one side of the field and lock down the opposition’s best receiver. Devin McCourty thrived as being a single-high safety and the exceptional coverage allowed for ample time for the Patriots to develop a steady pass rush. It was an experiment that paid huge dividends for the Patriots — winning their first Super Bowl in 10 years."

Patriots decision on Revis may prove costlier down the road - The Sun Chronicle Local Sports

No reasonable logic in breaking down a winning program and team.

It makes perfect sense if it's true that the Jets substantially outbid the Patriots. Without a player like Revis, it doesn't make sense to keep a player like Browner. Revis is literally the only player they've lost that they can't replace and their philosophy has long been that they will pay a player what they think the value to their team is and not a penny more. It's a strategy that has served them EXTREMELY well in the past. No matter how much Pats fans and others have howled about it.

I simply don't agree that they're tearing apart the entire team.

Also, here's an interesting article detailing what the Patriots would have had to sacrifice (big picture) in order to match the Jets' offer:

New England structures their deals with signing bonuses in order to spread the cap hit across the life of the contract, while also putting in protection language that would require the player to be on the roster at the start of each league year. It's this protection language that caused the divide between Revis and the Patriots to grow - he wanted his money with no strings attached, which the Patriots couldn't offer, but the Jets were more than willing to provide.

According to PatsCap, if the Patriots tried to match the Jets "pay as you go" contract structure, Revis' cap hit would be $21 million due to the $16 million base salary, plus the $5 million outstanding from last season's signing bonus.

The Patriots currently have $13.6 million in cap space, per PatsCap, which would mean the Patriots would have to free up a minimum of $2.4 million in cap space to match the Jets offer, while leaving the Patriots at major risk if Revis were to be injured. This would also leave the Patriots with no cap space to fill any holes opened by freeing up the $2.4 million in cap space.

For reference, Dont'a Hightower accounts for $2.5 million in cap space. This is some crucial cap space.

The cap hit would also stand at $17 million next season, when the Patriots will have to address potential contract extension for Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Nate Solder, Jamie Collins, and other key members of the roster.

The Patriots would never have exposed themselves to such a high level of guaranteed money with no strings attached. They shouldn't be expected to, either, if they want to field a team with the depth required of every championship roster.

The Patriots Couldn t and Shouldn t Match the Jets Offer to Darrelle Revis - Pats Pulpit

It makes perfect sense if it's true that the Jets substantially outbid the Patriots. Without a player like Revis, it doesn't make sense to keep a player like Browner. Revis is literally the only player they've lost that they can't replace and their philosophy has long been that they will pay a player what they think the value to their team is and not a penny more. It's a strategy that has served them EXTREMELY well in the past. No matter how much Pats fans and others have howled about it.

I simply don't agree that they're tearing apart the entire team.

Major components yes, the stuff that wins SBs

Also, here's an interesting article detailing what the Patriots would have had to sacrifice (big picture) in order to match the Jets' offer:

New England structures their deals with signing bonuses in order to spread the cap hit across the life of the contract, while also putting in protection language that would require the player to be on the roster at the start of each league year. It's this protection language that caused the divide between Revis and the Patriots to grow - he wanted his money with no strings attached, which the Patriots couldn't offer, but the Jets were more than willing to provide.

According to PatsCap, if the Patriots tried to match the Jets "pay as you go" contract structure, Revis' cap hit would be $21 million due to the $16 million base salary, plus the $5 million outstanding from last season's signing bonus.

The Patriots currently have $13.6 million in cap space, per PatsCap, which would mean the Patriots would have to free up a minimum of $2.4 million in cap space to match the Jets offer, while leaving the Patriots at major risk if Revis were to be injured. This would also leave the Patriots with no cap space to fill any holes opened by freeing up the $2.4 million in cap space.

For reference, Dont'a Hightower accounts for $2.5 million in cap space. This is some crucial cap space.

The cap hit would also stand at $17 million next season, when the Patriots will have to address potential contract extension for Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Nate Solder, Jamie Collins, and other key members of the roster.

The Patriots would never have exposed themselves to such a high level of guaranteed money with no strings attached. They shouldn't be expected to, either, if they want to field a team with the depth required of every championship roster.

The Patriots Couldn t and Shouldn t Match the Jets Offer to Darrelle Revis - Pats Pulpit

Like I said CAP they could not match they wanted to and were 5 mil off.

So you think that the Patriots should have mortgaged the future of their team to pay Revis more than they felt he was worth? Glad my favorite team isn't in your hands.

They could have found a way to match it, but it would have been a disaster for them in terms of negotiations with key players next year. I'm sorry, I'll happily lose Revis if it makes it more likely for them to keep young, incredible talent like Hightower, Jones, and Collins.

There's a reason that the Patriots average 12 wins a season and have been to the Super Bowl 6 times in the last 13 years. It's because no one player is more important than the team as a whole. What Revis got from the Jets would have had huge repercussions with the Patriots roster for years. It's way more complex than "wahh, they didn't want to pay an extra $5 million".

Deciding a player's value to the team, and then sticking to that number without regard to sentiment or whining from fans, is one of the core things that has made the Patriots a powerhouse team for more than a decade.

They could have found a way to match it, but it would have been a disaster for them in terms of negotiations with key players next year. I'm sorry, I'll happily lose Revis if it makes it more likely for them to keep young, incredible talent like Hightower, Jones, and Collins.

There's a reason that the Patriots average 12 wins a season and have been to the Super Bowl 6 times in the last 13 years. It's because no one player is more important than the team as a whole. What Revis got from the Jets would have had huge repercussions with the Patriots roster for years. It's way more complex than "wahh, they didn't want to pay an extra $5 million".

Deciding a player's value to the team, and then sticking to that number without regard to sentiment or whining from fans, is one of the core things that has made the Patriots a powerhouse team for more than a decade.

" New England ended its negotiations with Revis with a guaranteed offer of $35 million. That’s a difference of only $4 million in guaranteed money compared to what the Jets gave him. That’s a serious gap when you have to pay Marcus Cannon his $1.2 million base salary"

They decided that 4 mil less was not enough for Revis? I do not think so, they could not match his demand. As far as talent they had things pretty much all set in the secondary which proved to be a winning formula that got them a super bowl win. It is what is going on now not what they wish will go on in the future. They blew it plain and simple, now Brady will have to face him twice per year instead of playing with him all year long.

Last edited:

They decided that 5 mil less was not enough for Revis? I do not think so, they could not match his demand. As far as talent they had things pretty much all set in the secondary which proved to be a winning formula that got them a super bowl win. It is what is going on now not what they wish will go on in the future. They blew it plain and simple, now Brady will have to face him twice per year instead of playing with him all year long.

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to argue with you because you're not being reasonable at all. You think that the Patriots HONESTLY couldn't have come up with $5 million if they wanted to? Are you high? You clearly don't even understand the mechanics of what happened here and just want it to be "durrrr, the Patriots are such dummies lol".

Your opinion flies in the face of literally 13 straight years of mind blowing accomplishments in the salary cap era. To wit, it's stupid and sorry but no, you don't know more than Belichick and the Pats front office.

Also, stop representing it like it's just $5 million, it's not. That's possibly just the difference between the guaranteed money in the offers. 5 years/$70 million with $39 million guaranteed is a HUGE contract, this isn't just $5 million.

They decided that 5 mil less was not enough for Revis? I do not think so, they could not match his demand. As far as talent they had things pretty much all set in the secondary which proved to be a winning formula that got them a super bowl win. It is what is going on now not what they wish will go on in the future. They blew it plain and simple, now Brady will have to face him twice per year instead of playing with him all year long.

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to argue with you because you're not being reasonable at all. You think that the Patriots HONESTLY couldn't have come up with $5 million if they wanted to? Are you high? You clearly don't even understand the mechanics of what happened here and just want it to be "durrrr, the Patriots are such dummies lol".

Your opinion flies in the face of literally 13 straight years of mind blowing accomplishments in the salary cap era. To wit, it's stupid and sorry but no, you don't know more than Belichick and the Pats front office.

Also, stop representing it like it's just $5 million, it's not. That's possibly just the difference between the guaranteed money in the offers. 5 years/$70 million with $39 million guaranteed is a HUGE contract, this isn't just $5 million.

uh huh. If they did not think he was worth the money they would not have offered it, that is too much money to offer when they were not serious about him to begin with. They could not close the deal, it happens.

uh huh. If they did not think he was worth the money they would not have offered it, that is too much money to offer when they were not serious about him to begin with. They could not close the deal, it happens.

What are you even talking about. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Unlike your Jets, Alex...the New England Patriots have a plan in place when it comes to signing players and they adhere to that plan with remarkable success.

The Patriots refuse to overpay veteran players on the tail end of their careers. They have let superstar players such as Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Randy Moss, Adam Vinatteri and Wes Welker walk away because it was the smart thing to do in the salary cap era. If a veteran is willing to take a pay cut in order to finish up his career playing for the Patriots then the deal will be done. If that same veteran is looking for top end money...they'll be allowed to head on down the road. You can do that when you've got a great organization that drafts and develops players. That would be the Patriots. You unfortunately root for the Jets...

What are you even talking about. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
The Patriots put a package together and the Jets put a package together both wanted Revis, the Patriots could not close the deal with Revis the Jets could. That is exactly how it worked. It appears Revis wanted his island back and got it.

Ultimately, whatever the Patriots were offering both in material terms and as a team was not enough.

Unlike your Jets, Alex...the New England Patriots have a plan in place when it comes to signing players and they adhere to that plan with remarkable success.

The Patriots refuse to overpay veteran players on the tail end of their careers. They have let superstar players such as Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Randy Moss, Adam Vinatteri and Wes Welker walk away because it was the smart thing to do in the salary cap era. If a veteran is willing to take a pay cut in order to finish up his career playing for the Patriots then the deal will be done. If that same veteran is looking for top end money...they'll be allowed to head on down the road. You can do that when you've got a great organization that drafts and develops players. That would be the Patriots. You unfortunately root for the Jets...
You are late to the game OS read the thread.

You seem to think that the Jets have "won" a battle against the Patriots, Alex and it's a naive belief on your part. The battle that teams fight is against the salary cap. You CAN give a few huge contracts to star players and go with scrubs at other positions but you won't succeed unless you are remarkable at drafting and developing young talent. Is it your belief that the Jets are remarkable at that? Because if they AREN'T then they just screwed themselves later on down the line.

Forum List

Back