Daisy's in trouble

Discussion in 'Pets' started by saveliberty, Jun 4, 2010.

1. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,169
    Well...the cat went to the vet @ 3:30 today. The blood test confirmed Hyperthyroidism. The vet says in fourteen year old cats it is cancerous most likely. So far, we are out $60 for information I pretty much figured out myself. They are running a $40 test now to see how her kidneys are functioning. If that test turns out poorly, Daisy is done for.

Should the kidneys be okay, we can opt for a $300 surgery and $15/ month medicine. That should be an interesting discussion with the wife. Waiting on the phone call about the kidney test at this point.

2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Good luck!

3. saveliberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,169
    At the moment it appears the vet forgot to tell the cat it was sick. Good news for the Daisy, as she appears more or less normal for now. The vet was supposed to call us with the kidney results. Must have taken a bit longer than business hours. I suspect we will get a call in the morning or Monday some time. Pushing fluids for now and hopng for the best.

4. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    *hugs*

Good luck to both you and Daisy.

5. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    well, with my Daisy, when it came to be this time in her life, my ex and I asked ourselves what was best for her. We picked 3 things for quality of life and then waited and loved her up something aweful. But as those three things passed we knew she wasn't enjoying life anymore and we had to do the hard thing then.

On the plus side, a cat can live a long time with this disease if you are good about the medicine.

RegardlessI hope your Daisy has a lot of years left in 'em.

6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    save let me tell you a story...i had a wonderful cat....i rescued him in the first gulf war and named him saddum who kitty...when he began to get sick....they couldnt find anything.....they just kept doing this and that...finally i was pushing fluids by baggin him ...with fluids...i finally took him to a new vet....and only took the records from the last 3 vets...i told the new vet i could have more faxed...saddum had a massive growth in his stomach....it was most likely a type of cancer....the vet looked at me..and said...its time...its been time and your cat is miserable..and he was....dont let it go that long....

7. saveliberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,169
    On the down side, my vet is expensive for this area. On the plus side, he guy is an awesome vet. My last cat Alex was saved twice by him. Already took precautions last night and slept on the couch, so Daisy had a buddy. Probably be Monday before the vet calls with the test results.

My oldest daughter (23) is not doing well with this. Daisy was her cat originally. The cat doesn't do well outside our house, so we got her when college time came. All the kids are pretty much out of hte house now. This bird is not looking forward to an empty nest.

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    lets hope its not gonna come to that....okay...

nice of you to sleep with daisy...clark had the vet visit and slept with me most of the night last night...

9. saveliberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,169
    You must have a good vet too if he told clark to sleep with you. lol

10. saveliberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,169
    Daisy got a reprive minutes ago. Vet has surgery scheduled for Tuesday. We've been down this road before with excellent results. Kitty prison (basement) until then, unless I'm supervising.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1