D-DAY BANDINGS For British Vets

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Feb 8 2004

Exclusive By Rupert Hamer

BRITISH war veterans are to be banned from this year's Normandy D-Day landings 60th anniversary tribute - because the French claim they could damage the beaches.

Elderly ex-soldiers have been told numbers are going to be limited because of "health and safety issues", including possible harm to the environment and problems with disabled access and public toilets. The snub has enraged up to 3,000 veterans preparing to make the emotional trip to the beaches where they fought the Germans to help liberate France in 1944.

Tory home security spokesman Patrick Mercer, a former army colonel, said: "It's a good job that the French didn't restrict which beaches our men could go on in 1944 because if they had then the French would still be under Nazi rule." Mr Mercer, whose father fought in World War II, added: "If our boys had been worried about such things as health and safety during D-Day, then France would never have been liberated. Some recognition of this from the French would be nice."

Veterans have been further angered by the insistence that they are only allowed access to the beaches if they wear security passes and photo ID cards. Survivors without a badge will be denied entry to events, the beaches they liberated and even a British march-past due to be attended by the Queen.

Now officials from the Ministry of Defence have begun their own war of words in a desperate attempt to get the French to change their minds.

Last night a senior MoD insider said: "The French have gone too far and this will be made clear to them. Many veterans are becoming distressed. To be treated like this on the very beaches they liberated is insulting."

Veterans from across Britain have spent months preparing for the emotional pilgrimage to the beaches. Because of their age, for many the trip to Northern France could be the last time they stand on the former battlefields to remember fallen comrades.

They will find out this week how the French have limited numbers and how many places are available.

The event is also dogged by fears of a possible terrorist strike, as the commemorations will be attended by Tony Blair, French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder.

The source said: "The French are asking for frail and elderly veterans to sort out individual security passes for themselves - that is enough to put off old soldiers in their droves.

"And the number allowed at some events and areas of the beaches is going to be restricted for what the French describe as health and safety reasons.

"The feeling in the MoD is that what is being asked of these men by the French is too much and they should be shown a great deal more respect."

Last night an MoD spokesman said there would be discussions with the French to address the issue of security passes and other restrictions. The talks will will take place in the city of Caen - which was bombed flat by the British as they advanced in 1944.

Joe Sibun, 84, who landed on Gold Beach in Normandy on D-Day, said: "I think it is just a case of somebody sitting in an office in France who has decided to be bloody awkward.

"I do not see any good reason for this kind of red tape."

link

That's a step too far. Both my grandfathers fought in WWII. One on the Eastern front and the other in the Pacific.

common currency aside....they need invaded again...what are they????scared of a bunch of eldery men that freed them from hitler....seems they forget to soon dont they..

wonder if this has something to do with getting on the stage again......didnt vaudeville go out in the 40's because it was soo cheesy???

What is with the French. Is it, like... "Screw around with America and Britian Year" or something like that? What a dumb-assed thing to say. And, looking at the fact that the British helped save them... I am just pissed at them Frenchies.

"BRITISH war veterans are to be banned from this year's Normandy D-Day landings 60th anniversary tribute - because the French claim they could damage the beaches."

Can you give us a better source than the sundaymirror, an english tabloid ? This seems to be a fake story.

Well maybe next time they need our help saving their ass, we should just say well let us think about it...and we have the answer is NO..defend your ass yourself..

Probably a smart thing that they are banning British vets. After those hairy bastards spray painted "Go home Yankee, you spoil our land" on the graves of the men who fought and died to keep them safe, I'd imagine there are some pretty angry Brits out there.

Anybody hear what coolfab said. It is a freakin' TABLIOD. In case you didn't know what it is... Anyway, maybe he's full of BS too. I don't know. Anyway, I'd say Cub Scouts can take care of them too. Oh, and the trycicles can give heavy support too. Paper airplanes can take care of the air... all we have left is a navy. Toy boats?

Or, we could send a single girl scout to France with a Roman Candle and they'll just launch a preemptive surrender. Then we can send the people that play Civilization III religiously there to re-establish a government. Total cost would be a few hundred dollars for air-fare.

Forum List

Back