D.C. May Soon Tell You What to Eat to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
We're finding out al lot people need the government telling them how to live in this day and age, so here ya go..You wanted ObamacamCare? this is just the start....
they came for smokers and you did nothing

SNIP:

Mallory Carr and Daren Bakst

March 24, 2014 at 1:38 pm

(30)

Photo credit: Newscom

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) may soon be telling you what you should eat to reduce your “carbon footprint.”

In order to—ostensibly—prevent global warming and reduce our national carbon footprint, Washington is already telling Americans what light bulbs they can buy, and what buildings in which they should want to live and work. Now, food could be the next frontier.

Currently, the USDA and HHS are drafting their 2015 Dietary Guidelines. Every five years, the USDA and HHS issue recommendations for Americans on what constitutes a healthy diet. As Dr. Barbara Millen, chair of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), remarked, their job is “facilitating and promoting healthy eating and physical activity.”

The Dietary Guidelines website outlines the purpose in this way:

They [the Guidelines] provide authoritative advice about consuming fewer calories, making informed food choices, and being physically active to attain and maintain a healthy weight, reduce risk of chronic disease, and promote overall health.

Notice that there’s nothing about the environment in these statements.

Unfortunately, ideology now trumps practicality; rather than devoting its time to the group’s actual purpose—serving as the cornerstone of Federal nutrition policy and nutrition education activities—the DGAC is focusing on environmental concerns. As Millen stated at the initial meeting, “Overall, we want to be certain to make recommendations for a healthy, ecologically responsible diet.” The Subcommittee on Food Sustainability and Safety made this objective even more explicit in their presentation at the second meeting when they stated: “The goal is to develop dietary guidance that supports human health and the health of the planet over time.” [Emphasis added]

ALL of it here

Just go vegetarian. You'll reduce your carbon footprint and be healthier. The transition will make you lose weight as well. And you won't have dead animals rotting in your gut 24/7.

That'll be the day. Nothing interferes with my eating. I've eaten through hurricanes, twisters, snowstorms, earthquakes and sandstorms. No way would the government interfere with my eating. :lol:

We're finding out al lot people need the government telling them how to live in this day and age, so here ya go..You wanted ObamacamCare? this is just the start....
they came for smokers and you did nothing

SNIP:

Mallory Carr and Daren Bakst

March 24, 2014 at 1:38 pm

(30)

The Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) may soon be telling you what you should eat to reduce your “carbon footprint.”

In order to—ostensibly—prevent global warming and reduce our national carbon footprint, Washington is already telling Americans what light bulbs they can buy, and what buildings in which they should want to live and work. Now, food could be the next frontier.

Currently, the USDA and HHS are drafting their 2015 Dietary Guidelines. Every five years, the USDA and HHS issue recommendations for Americans on what constitutes a healthy diet. As Dr. Barbara Millen, chair of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), remarked, their job is “facilitating and promoting healthy eating and physical activity.”

The Dietary Guidelines website outlines the purpose in this way:

They [the Guidelines] provide authoritative advice about consuming fewer calories, making informed food choices, and being physically active to attain and maintain a healthy weight, reduce risk of chronic disease, and promote overall health.

Notice that there’s nothing about the environment in these statements.

Unfortunately, ideology now trumps practicality; rather than devoting its time to the group’s actual purpose—serving as the cornerstone of Federal nutrition policy and nutrition education activities—the DGAC is focusing on environmental concerns. As Millen stated at the initial meeting, “Overall, we want to be certain to make recommendations for a healthy, ecologically responsible diet.” The Subcommittee on Food Sustainability and Safety made this objective even more explicit in their presentation at the second meeting when they stated: “The goal is to develop dietary guidance that supports human health and the health of the planet over time.” [Emphasis added]

ALL of it here

Suuuuure they will.

I think we need to pay for a few MORE Guberment agencies to tell us how to live our lives

don't you?

Call your Reps. and ask these agencies like these mentioned in the article and, the IRS, EPA etc be DEFUNDED folks

D.C. can go screw themselves. As long as I'm paying the bills, I'll have as big a footprint as I can afford.

I thought this was going to be about greenhouse gas emissions. I don't eat burrittos like I used to but sometimes...well...things happen. We'll probably be required to install methane detectors and pay carbon credit fines for going over the limit. Dang.
Just go vegetarian. You'll reduce your carbon footprint and be healthier. The transition will make you lose weight as well. And you won't have dead animals rotting in your gut 24/7.
Or you can get very unhealthy if you don't come up with the right proteins. It isn't that simple.

I thought this was going to be about greenhouse gas emissions. I don't eat burrittos like I used to but sometimes...well...things happen. We'll probably be required to install methane detectors and pay carbon credit fines for going over the limit. Dang.
Or you can get very unhealthy if you don't come up with the right proteins. It isn't that simple.

It's really not very hard, you read up a little on it... It's like a meat diet, if you do it the wrong way you're screwed also. But worse with all the hormones, anti-biotics, different kinds of shots, and just all the garbage most food animals eat...

D.C. can go screw themselves. As long as I'm paying the bills, I'll have as big a footprint as I can afford.

At the very least, I'd hope that you realize that you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. Anyways, now you know.

Vegetarian diets are bull shit. You want proof?

Veggie Burgers, veggie meats, etc.

What they are saying is that they would really like to eat real food, but they are on this idiotic diet trying to be cool and hip, so they can't.

Poor Staph. If someone in the government tells her that it is not safe to walk across four lane freeways at times of fast traffic, she will scream bloody murder about government infringement on her rights.

Seems to me that the government agency was pointing out that a good diet is better for you than a bad one. And stating what is considered to be a good diet.

As for the smokers, go ahead, have a pack a day. Have two or three packs a day. More SS for those of us that are sane.

Vegetarian diets are bull shit. You want proof?

Veggie Burgers, veggie meats, etc.

What they are saying is that they would really like to eat real food, but they are on this idiotic diet trying to be cool and hip, so they can't.

No, vegetarians like to eat hot dogs too, but veggie ones are not only not made with all the goo they put into meat dogs, but are made with vegetables, so the only unhealthy part of it is the bun, lol. We've served them a kids' parties, and no one can tell, and they get gobbled up fast!
Veggie hamburgers have no animal fat... The list goes on and on...

It's really not very hard, you read up a little on it... It's like a meat diet, if you do it the wrong way you're screwed also. But worse with all the hormones, anti-biotics, different kinds of shots, and just all the garbage most food animals eat...
Why do you assume I haven't read up on it? Most vegans I've met look like they have one foot in the grave. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's wrong to dismiss it as easy. We need a complete protein, doable with plants, legumes, etc. but for me very boring and it leaves me starving if I burn energy.

No, vegetarians like to eat hot dogs too, but veggie ones are not only not made with all the goo they put into meat dogs, but are made with vegetables, so the only unhealthy part of it is the bun, lol. We've served them a kids' parties, and no one can tell, and they get gobbled up fast!
Veggie hamburgers have no animal fat... The list goes on and on...
Veggie simulated meat foods are usually high in soy. Too much soy isn't good for you either and last I checked creates estrogen, not good for males. And we need fat to survive, too much is bad but the low low fat craze led to more obesity than ever. Hot dogs are not a quality protein source, I think we all know that.

Forum List

Back