Cycling

You know, there was a time that I would sometimes ride with a helmet, sometimes I'd ride without. Well, riding into work one day, I hit some black ice and went down hard. I was wearing a Vetta (remember that brand HWGA?) hardshell helmet and it actually cracked the damn thing in half when I tried to put my head into a curb.

Rang my bell, and fortunately, there were no injuries other than my helmet.

Been wearing one ever since.

I remember those.
I normally dont ride in inclement weather. The last time I commuted on a bike was when I was around 18.
If I plan on hitting it hard I'll wear a helmet but if I'm just tooling around I dont.
I cracked a helmet on the Ho Chi Minh trail in Memorial park once.
I ducked to go under what I thought was just a leafy branch,turned out there was a three inch limb behind those leaves.

You know, I don't ride much in inclement weather anymore either. Stopped that when I got to Amarillo because I didn't have to anymore. My weather rules for riding? Anything over 65, but below 95, and winds must be 20 mph or less, no rain, no snow, cloudy days are okay. The reason I have the speed limit on the wind is because of my aero rims. Had a crosswind blow me 1/2 a lane over once.

As Danny Glover said in Lethal Weapon............"I'm getting too old for this shit".

You know, there was a time that I would sometimes ride with a helmet, sometimes I'd ride without. Well, riding into work one day, I hit some black ice and went down hard. I was wearing a Vetta (remember that brand HWGA?) hardshell helmet and it actually cracked the damn thing in half when I tried to put my head into a curb.

I remember those.
I normally dont ride in inclement weather. The last time I commuted on a bike was when I was around 18.
If I plan on hitting it hard I'll wear a helmet but if I'm just tooling around I dont.
I ducked to go under what I thought was just a leafy branch,turned out there was a three inch limb behind those leaves.

You know, I don't ride much in inclement weather anymore either. Stopped that when I got to Amarillo because I didn't have to anymore. My weather rules for riding? Anything over 65, but below 95, and winds must be 20 mph or less, no rain, no snow, cloudy days are okay. The reason I have the speed limit on the wind is because of my aero rims. Had a crosswind blow me 1/2 a lane over once.

As Danny Glover said in Lethal Weapon............"I'm getting too old for this shit".

Yeah,I ride for enjoyment and exercise these days.
There ain't no enjoyment in freezing your balls off or getting heat stroke.

I remember those.

Actually, I did get a little enjoyment when I rode to work, even if the weather was lousy. Why? Because of all the looks I would get when I wandered into work, and people would ask if I had all my marbles, because bikes weren't supposed to be ridden in that kind of weather (according to them).

Remember when I told you that I rode from Jacksonville to Newport RI? First day was sunny and hot, and I was starting to burn. Next 3 days? Rain every damn hour I was on the road, but at least it kept me from burning and peeling.

But the rest of the ride was excellent weather. I think it was the Big Guy Upstairs checking on me to see if I was really serious about riding up the whole East Coast.

I remember those.

Actually, I did get a little enjoyment when I rode to work, even if the weather was lousy. Why? Because of all the looks I would get when I wandered into work, and people would ask if I had all my marbles, because bikes weren't supposed to be ridden in that kind of weather (according to them).

Remember when I told you that I rode from Jacksonville to Newport RI? First day was sunny and hot, and I was starting to burn. Next 3 days? Rain every damn hour I was on the road, but at least it kept me from burning and peeling.

But the rest of the ride was excellent weather. I think it was the Big Guy Upstairs checking on me to see if I was really serious about riding up the whole East Coast.

There were two things I liked about commuting.
The first one being that it was the first time I experienced the runners high.
That point where you feel nothing in your legs and feel you could go on forever with no effort.
The second being you had to push yourself harder in order to reach that state making you ever faster.

My ride was just short of twenty miles each way,of course no one thought it was weird since I worked in a bike shop.

I remember those.

There were two things I liked about commuting.
The first one being that it was the first time I experienced the runners high.
That point where you feel nothing in your legs and feel you could go on forever with no effort.
The second being you had to push yourself harder in order to reach that state making you ever faster.

My ride was just short of twenty miles each way,of course no one thought it was weird since I worked in a bike shop.

It depended on where I was stationed at. Shortest commute was in Newport RI and that was only 3 miles, so when I got off work, I'd throw in a lap around the Ocean View circle (10 miles) just to keep it interesting. Longest was when I was stationed in Jacksonville, and that was 12 miles each way. And, while in Jacksonville, on the weekends, I'd ride 42 miles to the beach, hang out for a couple of hours, and ride back that afternoon.

You're right, nobody thinks it's strange if you work at a bike shop and commute, but when you are an active duty Navy sailor, all the others tend to think you're a bit nuts and wonder where your car is.

Best thing about not having a car? If I met a girl, I would know IMMEDIATELY if she was interested in me or not. Sometimes, they would flirt with me and I'd ask them if they wanted to go out. When they said yes, I would then ask them if they could pick me up, because I didn't have a car, and rode a bicycle everywhere I went. If they were looking for someone to take care of them, they knew I wasn't it and would quickly back out. If they were truly interested in me, they would say, oh, okay, and then ask me why I lived on a bike. Some of them even thought it was pretty cool that I could ride like I did. '

Going to Bike Barn to order the Duotrap 2 so it can be installed before I pick up the ride.
Already have a heartbeat compatible chest monitor from my GT recumbent exercise bike.

Most of my riding is at night because it's quite warm here during the day AND I HATE THE HEAT!! I have an excellent light on the bike and flashing lights on both helmet and back of the cycle.

Today I picked up an old Avanti Montari...tyres up to 100 psi...so will test that out over the next few days...(son's old cycle which I bought him years ago)......very light compared to the fat tyred bike. Maybe the Avanti during the day and to work; the fat bike still for the night and bush tracks....there's a plan!!! The Giant Trance for real bush tracks.....for downhill.

I don't measure anything though he put some sort of trip meter on it..??? why I don't know.

Greg

I have some old bikes I need to decide what to do with. This is one I'm considering fixing to ride as I remember it being great handling and very fast and light:

1996 Specialized Rockhopper Comp A1 - Bicycle Details - BicycleBlueBook.com

I beat it pretty hard back in the day, the rear rim and brakes are trashed and it has been sitting. Doesn't shift right but is still rideable amazingly.

Pros: very light and fast bike. Cons: slightly undersized 17" frame for me that I selected purposely back then so it would be easier to throw the bike around.

Worth fixing up or am I going to run into a money pit with this thing?

Last edited:
I have some old bikes I need to decide what to do with. This is one I'm considering fixing to ride as I remember it being great handling and very fast and light:

https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=52332an old

I beat it pretty hard back in the day, the rear rim and brakes are trashed and it has been sitting. Doesn't shift right but is still rideable amazingly.

Pros: very light and fast bike. Cons: slightly undersized 17" frame for me that I selected purposely back then so it would be easier to throw the bike around.

Bad link.

Bad link.
Sorry about that.

Hmmm....a bike ride now or get the fishing gear ready for tomorrow??

Decisions....??

Greg

Bad link.
Sorry about that.

Personally I wouldnt fix it up due to cost.
I have an original Fisher Hoo Koo e koo from around 84 that is mechanically sound but would need a shitload of work to become rideable.
If you did the work yourself it would be worth it but otherwise no.

The biggest cost is going to be rebuilding the hubs,bottom bracket,headset and pedals.
Then you have the cables,brakes and derailers along with new tires tubes and rim strips.

If you have a personal connect with the bike do it. If not I'd buy a new one.

I have a guy here in Houston that will come and pick up your bike and rebuild it for a reasonable price and return it.
But to have it done at a bike shop would be prohibitive.

Last edited:
The first Mountain bike made by Fisher....
This is the exact bike I own. The guy who fixes em up offered me what I paid for it in 83 or 84.
It's a collector item.
upload_2018-4-21_2-41-49.png

Bad link.
Sorry about that.

I have an original Fisher Hoo Koo e koo from around 85 that is mechanically sound but would need a shitload of work to become rideable.

The biggest cost is going to be rebuilding the hubs,bottom bracket,headset and pedals.
Then you have the cables,brakes and derailers along with new tires tubes and rim strips.

I have a guy here in Houston that will come and pick up your bike and rebuild it for a reasonable price and return it.
The crank and headset isn't loose. It's sat for so long though.

It does have a personal connection, I don't want to let it go but hate seeing it sit and not be used. I sold an aluminum frame Marin nail trail, nice bike and flashier looking but the Rockhopper comp is better.

That Fisher is a really nice bike. Some you can't let go.

Bad link.
Sorry about that.

I have an original Fisher Hoo Koo e koo from around 85 that is mechanically sound but would need a shitload of work to become rideable.

It does have a personal connection, I don't want to let it go but hate seeing it sit and not be used. I sold an aluminum frame Marin nail trail, nice bike and flashier looking but the Rockhopper comp is better.

If it has a personal connect get it fixed.

Hmmm....a bike ride now or get the fishing gear ready for tomorrow??

Decisions....??

Greg
Quiet night rides are nice. Trout fishing?

no; estuary. Went last weekend and caught quite a few; flathead and bream...local names. Nothing extreme though have caught some decent fish in the past.

The flatty was about this size....not my picture though.

john-bear-willis-with-a-flathead-fish.jpg

Greg

Bad link.
Sorry about that.

Anything that old needs a complete rebuild.
The grease has turned to paste at this point and every bearing needs refurbished.

Forum List

Back