Cycling

Hmmm....a bike ride now or get the fishing gear ready for tomorrow??

Decisions....??

Greg
Quiet night rides are nice. Trout fishing?

no; estuary. Went last weekend and caught quite a few; flathead and bream...local names. Nothing extreme though have caught some decent fish in the past.

The flatty was about this size....not my picture though.

john-bear-willis-with-a-flathead-fish.jpg

Greg

Good Lord thats an ugly fish!!!
Which probably means it very tasty.

For the city especially, lose the derailleur. The internal hub transmissions are so much more pleasant when shifting down from unexpected stops. The development is there, too. Less fragile, chain can't come off, low maintenance. Everyone thinks they're heavier, but once you count the cassette and shifting mechanism, the difference is minor (and, after all, we're not talking Tour de France!).
I've used Nexus hubs for years and converted many bikes to their use. Never had a problem or breakage. I even have a 16 speed I made from a Marin hybrid with an 8 speed Nexus and double chain rings. Great for touring as well as city-ready.

I have some old bikes I need to decide what to do with. This is one I'm considering fixing to ride as I remember it being great handling and very fast and light:

https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=52332an old

I beat it pretty hard back in the day, the rear rim and brakes are trashed and it has been sitting. Doesn't shift right but is still rideable amazingly.

Pros: very light and fast bike. Cons: slightly undersized 17" frame for me that I selected purposely back then so it would be easier to throw the bike around.

Worth fixing up or am I going to run into a money pit with this thing?

Bad link.
Sorry about that.
1996 Specialized Rockhopper Comp A1 - Bicycle Details - BicycleBlueBook.com

Personally I wouldnt fix it up due to cost.
I have an original Fisher Hoo Koo e koo from around 85 that is mechanically sound but would need a shitload of work to become rideable.
If you did the work yourself it would be worth it but otherwise no.

The biggest cost is going to be rebuilding the hubs,bottom bracket,headset and pedals.
Then you have the cables,brakes and derailers along with new tires tubes and rim strips.

If you have a personal connect with the bike do it. If not I'd buy a new one.

I have a guy here in Houston that will come and pick up your bike and rebuild it for a reasonable price and return it.
But to have it done at a bike shop would be prohibitive.
The crank and headset isn't loose. It's sat for so long though.

It does have a personal connection, I don't want to let it go but hate seeing it sit and not be used. I sold an aluminum frame Marin nail trail, nice bike and flashier looking but the Rockhopper comp is better.

That Fisher is a really nice bike. Some you can't let go.

If it has a personal connect get it fixed.
Yeah a good excuse to keep it is for a project, as if I don't have enough already. If I can fix motorcycles a bicycle should be easy. The problem of course is not having unlimited money :laugh:

For the city especially, lose the derailleur. The internal hub transmissions are so much more pleasant when shifting down from unexpected stops. The development is there, too. Less fragile, chain can't come off, low maintenance. Everyone thinks they're heavier, but once you count the cassette and shifting mechanism, the difference is minor (and, after all, we're not talking Tour de France!).
I've used Nexus hubs for years and converted many bikes to their use. Never had a problem or breakage. I even have a 16 speed I made from a Marin hybrid with an 8 speed Nexus and double chain rings. Great for touring as well as city-ready.

The internal hub has major disadvantages compared to a derailleur system.

I have an original Fisher Hoo Koo e koo from around 85 that is mechanically sound but would need a shitload of work to become rideable.

The biggest cost is going to be rebuilding the hubs,bottom bracket,headset and pedals.
Then you have the cables,brakes and derailers along with new tires tubes and rim strips.

I have a guy here in Houston that will come and pick up your bike and rebuild it for a reasonable price and return it.

It does have a personal connection, I don't want to let it go but hate seeing it sit and not be used. I sold an aluminum frame Marin nail trail, nice bike and flashier looking but the Rockhopper comp is better.

Yeah a good excuse to keep it is for a project, as if I don't have enough already. If I can fix motorcycles a bicycle should be easy. The problem of course is not having unlimited money :laugh:

The one thing you absolutely have to have when working on bikes.....
upload_2018-4-21_3-44-51.png

Along with a set of cone wrenches.

Decisions....??

Greg

no; estuary. Went last weekend and caught quite a few; flathead and bream...local names. Nothing extreme though have caught some decent fish in the past.

Greg
Nice. Spoiled with lakes, rivers, and streams around here. Would be nice to do that kind of fishing some day.

I have some old bikes I need to decide what to do with. This is one I'm considering fixing to ride as I remember it being great handling and very fast and light:

https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=52332an old

I beat it pretty hard back in the day, the rear rim and brakes are trashed and it has been sitting. Doesn't shift right but is still rideable amazingly.

Pros: very light and fast bike. Cons: slightly undersized 17" frame for me that I selected purposely back then so it would be easier to throw the bike around.

Worth fixing up or am I going to run into a money pit with this thing?

Bad link.
Sorry about that.
1996 Specialized Rockhopper Comp A1 - Bicycle Details - BicycleBlueBook.com

Anything that old needs a complete rebuild.
The grease has turned to paste at this point and every bearing needs refurbished.
Yup I'm familiar with bone dry bearings from motorcycles. You think maybe I can get away with adding grease and not replacing? Probably not lol.

Decisions....??

Greg

Greg
Nice. Spoiled with lakes, rivers, and streams around here. Would be nice to do that kind of fishing some day.

Love the Bass fishing here in Texas....

The grease has turned to paste at this point and every bearing needs refurbished.
Yup I'm familiar with bone dry bearings from motorcycles. You think maybe I can get away with adding grease and not replacing? Probably not lol.

Ya have to disassemble the bearing to add grease so no ya just cant add grease.
No zerk fittings unfortunately.

Ya have to disassemble the bearing to add grease so no ya just cant add grease.
No zerk fittings unfortunately.
Sealed. Figures. I could do the bare minimum and ride it sparingly.. New rear rim, tire, brakes, sort out the schimano (that should be fun). Almost forgot new chain, and likely other stuff lol.

The one thing you absolutely have to have when working on bikes.....
View attachment 189197
Along with a set of cone wrenches.
Look! The derailleur must have fallen off!

View attachment 188825
Going to get back into cycling.
A little background,I raced BMX when I was 15 to 17 and had corporate sponsors through Robinson.
Rode street for around 15 years 6 days a week at 25 miles a day.
I've finally reached a point that I think I can ride again after back surgery and hip replacement.
Looking at the Trek Zektor or the Fuji Absolute.
It's a downgrade from my normal rides but I dont plan to get into it like I used to.
This is about comfortable exercise.

Anyone have any experience with city bikes?

Oh...I know there are different models.
Looking to spend around $1000
Rules to stay alive on a bicycle by:

1 - stay off streets and paved roads.

2 - don't try to outrun dogs.

3 - be prepared to fight off a mountain lion.

I never try to outrun dogs. I prefer instead to turn them into little tumbling balls of fur that will never try to chase me again.

And all you need is a waterbottle.................................

I'd read once in Bicycling that dogs hate water, and if one started to chase you, to simply squirt them in the face with a water bottle. Well, a little while after I read that, I came across a dog that thought I was good to chase. When he got about 5 ft away from me, I squeezed my water bottle and caught him straight up the nose.

The dog then hit the brakes as quick as he could, but the trouble is, we were doing around 20 mph, and he turned into a rolling ball of fur.

Dog never chased me after that.

So, today's bicycling tip is that if a dog comes your way to chase you, shoot it in the face with your water bottle.

Works for just about all animals by the way.
Never knew that.

These days I carry pepper spray with me for dogs.

And my 45ACP for 2 legged predators, although my baton usually works just as well.

1. The Nexus 8-speed transmission offers an excellent range of gears (equivalent to an 11-34 cassette) – wide enough for most riders on most roads in Britain.
  2. You change gear with a simple twist of the Shimano Revo gear shifter, pictured.
  3. You can change one gear at a time or shift from top to bottom (or vice versa) in one twist.
    nexus-8-gear-changer-1-e1505139854942.jpg
  4. Unlike a derailleur, you can shift gear when the bike is stationary – this is really useful if you have to stop at the lights halfway up a hill – no more setting off in too high a gear.
  5. Unlike old-school hub gears, you can shift Nexus gears while pedalling.
  6. Enclosing the gear mechanism inside the rear hub makes for a more weather-resistant transmission.
  7. The lack of derailleurs removes one of the more vulnerable parts of a bike (the rear mech and/or its hanger often take the hit if the bike is knocked over).
  8. The fact that the chain does not spend its life being derailled from cog to cog improves its life expectancy too.
  9. From personal experience, I’ve found that a Shimano Nexus 8 transmission outlasts an equivalent multi-cog derailleur system by a factor of at least two.
  10. The Nexus hub is a fine piece of Japanese engineering, developed by Shimano over the past 20 years.
  11. The Nexus hub alone retails at £150.
  12. With its single chainring and single rear cog a Shimano Nexus setup offers much of the simplicity and the minimalist aesthetic of a single-speed bike.
12 reasons to consider Nexus 8 Hub Gears on your next bike
Just one quick example of others who know what I know.
Certainly, a full carbon, slick, speed racer with a 30 speed latest-model derailleur system is going to win a major race over anything less.
We're talking here about fun, reliable cruising and touring. There is no argument that direct chain drive is more efficient than cog gears that intervene. That said, the day to day convenience of high quality internal hub transmissions is certainly worth the modest sacrifice.

1. The Nexus 8-speed transmission offers an excellent range of gears (equivalent to an 11-34 cassette) – wide enough for most riders on most roads in Britain.
  2. You change gear with a simple twist of the Shimano Revo gear shifter, pictured.
  3. You can change one gear at a time or shift from top to bottom (or vice versa) in one twist.
    nexus-8-gear-changer-1-e1505139854942.jpg
  4. Unlike a derailleur, you can shift gear when the bike is stationary – this is really useful if you have to stop at the lights halfway up a hill – no more setting off in too high a gear.
  5. Unlike old-school hub gears, you can shift Nexus gears while pedalling.
  6. Enclosing the gear mechanism inside the rear hub makes for a more weather-resistant transmission.
  7. The lack of derailleurs removes one of the more vulnerable parts of a bike (the rear mech and/or its hanger often take the hit if the bike is knocked over).
  8. The fact that the chain does not spend its life being derailled from cog to cog improves its life expectancy too.
  9. From personal experience, I’ve found that a Shimano Nexus 8 transmission outlasts an equivalent multi-cog derailleur system by a factor of at least two.
  10. The Nexus hub is a fine piece of Japanese engineering, developed by Shimano over the past 20 years.
  11. The Nexus hub alone retails at £150.
  12. With its single chainring and single rear cog a Shimano Nexus setup offers much of the simplicity and the minimalist aesthetic of a single-speed bike.
12 reasons to consider Nexus 8 Hub Gears on your next bike
Just one quick example of others who know what I know.
Certainly, a full carbon, slick, speed racer with a 30 speed latest-model derailleur system is going to win a major race over anything less.
We're talking here about fun, reliable cruising and touring. There is no argument that direct chain drive is more efficient than cog gears that intervene. That said, the day to day convenience of high quality internal hub transmissions is certainly worth the modest sacrifice.

I could see a use for them but they're way to limited in gear choices for any serious riding.

A thirty to one hundred inch gear range is not at all too limited. That is just one example with 700c wheels and a 21t cog on the hub, 45t chain wheel. Of course, the choices are almost endless. The sixteen speed mentioned in another post has a range of 31 to 112 inches. My step-son just arrived a few minutes ago from a 300 km+ tour in the Bordeaux region with this machine.
Of the arguments that can be made against these hubs (though I can't understand the resistance; no one is forcing them on anyone), gear range is not one of them. They are a thoroughly viable alternative for a great percentage of riders.
The very first wheel I built with one of these hubs (an early seven speed) was for a mountain bike magazine that wanted to test it under hard conditions. They often visited the bicycle shop where I was working at the time and had us do several projects for them. They were very satisfied with how the hub performed. That was over twenty years ago.

Forum List

Back