Cycling

You know Here We Go Again, it's been kinda nice to be able to talk bikes with someone who knows a bit about them.

Most people around here think a Huffy is the pinnacle of bicycles.

You cant go anywhere on the weekend around here without running into at least one large pack of lycra clad pedal mashers.
I cringe at the lack of technic from most of them,it's like spinning is an unknown practice. Watching them with their 60 rpm cadence makes me want to pull them over and give them riding lessons.
Most are rich guys riding 5k bikes trying to out spend each other.

I hear ya. I never get a computer that doesn't have cadence, and I try to keep it at 90 to 105 rpm. You're right, a lot of people have the mistaken idea that the bigger the gear they can ride in, the faster they can go, when actually, speed is more a result of a decent cadence AND knowing how to spin. One of the biggest wastes of money that I ever did with a bicycle was buying into the BioPace bullshit. They told me that slightly out of round chainrings would make more power and make you faster, so I bought a set.

All it did was mess up my spin, and I got rid of them after about 2 weeks.

And yeah, it's funny to ride up alongside some of those rich idiots who have all the brand name top of the line gear and they don't know how to ride or even keep a line.

I remember that when I was stationed in Memphis, I had a friend of mine who was a big black man that rode like a train. He and I were both hammer dogs at the time, and took great enjoyment in trolling the streets for some of those kind of riders, challenging them to a 1 or 2 block race and blowing their doors off.

Good times...........................

It cracks me up when approaching a group of pedal mashers from behind and watching their ass cheeks swivel from side to side.

It's like...fer fucks sake acquire some kinda form!!!!

Naah..............Trek is really good about marrying up proper groups with proper equipment. Matter of fact, their quality is what made me stick with them since the mid 80's. Like I said, I've had a 2100, a 5200, and a Lemond Zurich, all made by Trek. The ONLY thing I had a problem with Trek over was when they first came out with the 5200 full carbon fiber frame. It seems that the first 3 years in production, they didn't use the right kind of glue to marry up the bottom bracket with the frame, and after a year or so of constant use, it would start to work itself free. You would notice it because there would be a hairline crack about an inch or two above the bottom bracket on the main and front downtube. After my second frame broke, the bike shop offered me a Lemond Zurich with a full Campy Athena gruppo, and I took it.

Swapped out the Athena for a Chorus ergo power shifter group when I put together the cash.

Been riding the Lemond since around 1996.

So whats your opinion on tubeless tires?
The only thing I can equate to them is sew ups which were an amazing pain in the ass!!!!
I here they almost eliminate pinch flats and are lighter.
The Bontragers are tubeless ready just wondering if I should go ahead and set em up that way from the get go.

Tubeless is what the other name for sew ups was. I personally would never use them because of what I saw happen during a race I was in.

We were doing 10 mile time trials for the city, and there were all sorts of riders there. One of them who went just ahead of me had a REALLY nice Klein with a nice speed suit and all the other fancy trimmings.

He also had tubeless tires. And, it was around 90 degrees that day.

Well, when he hit the turn around point, apparently the glue had softened enough that when he did the U turn to come back, the tires rolled right off the rims while he was leaning, and his rims hit the pavement and he skidded sideways and hit the ground.

Other than sew ups, I don't really know of any kind of tubeless tire that there is. Me? I have a pump on my bike, as well as carry silicone patches (just peel and stick). I'm happy with tube tires. Besides, having regular tubed tires gives you more variety in the kinds of tires you can ride. They are also a hell of a lot cheaper as well.

If you're interested in light weight and less rolling resistance, I could recommend using latex tubes, but I personally don't like them. Yeah, they are lighter than butyl, and they can take a lot of pressure for low rolling resistance, but they also leak air 2 to 3 times faster than butyl does. You know how you have to air up your tires every couple of weeks? You'd be doing it every three days if you had latex tubes.

You know Here We Go Again, it's been kinda nice to be able to talk bikes with someone who knows a bit about them.

You cant go anywhere on the weekend around here without running into at least one large pack of lycra clad pedal mashers.
I cringe at the lack of technic from most of them,it's like spinning is an unknown practice. Watching them with their 60 rpm cadence makes me want to pull them over and give them riding lessons.

I hear ya. I never get a computer that doesn't have cadence, and I try to keep it at 90 to 105 rpm. You're right, a lot of people have the mistaken idea that the bigger the gear they can ride in, the faster they can go, when actually, speed is more a result of a decent cadence AND knowing how to spin. One of the biggest wastes of money that I ever did with a bicycle was buying into the BioPace bullshit. They told me that slightly out of round chainrings would make more power and make you faster, so I bought a set.

And yeah, it's funny to ride up alongside some of those rich idiots who have all the brand name top of the line gear and they don't know how to ride or even keep a line.

I remember that when I was stationed in Memphis, I had a friend of mine who was a big black man that rode like a train. He and I were both hammer dogs at the time, and took great enjoyment in trolling the streets for some of those kind of riders, challenging them to a 1 or 2 block race and blowing their doors off.

It cracks me up when approaching a group of pedal mashers from behind and watching their ass cheeks swivel from side to side.

Actually, only part of that is from bad form. Most of the cause is because the person doesn't know how to adjust their bike to fit them, and their seatpost is anywhere from 1/8 of an inch to an inch too high for them.

Naah..............Trek is really good about marrying up proper groups with proper equipment. Matter of fact, their quality is what made me stick with them since the mid 80's. Like I said, I've had a 2100, a 5200, and a Lemond Zurich, all made by Trek. The ONLY thing I had a problem with Trek over was when they first came out with the 5200 full carbon fiber frame. It seems that the first 3 years in production, they didn't use the right kind of glue to marry up the bottom bracket with the frame, and after a year or so of constant use, it would start to work itself free. You would notice it because there would be a hairline crack about an inch or two above the bottom bracket on the main and front downtube. After my second frame broke, the bike shop offered me a Lemond Zurich with a full Campy Athena gruppo, and I took it.

Swapped out the Athena for a Chorus ergo power shifter group when I put together the cash.

Been riding the Lemond since around 1996.

So whats your opinion on tubeless tires?
The only thing I can equate to them is sew ups which were an amazing pain in the ass!!!!
I here they almost eliminate pinch flats and are lighter.
The Bontragers are tubeless ready just wondering if I should go ahead and set em up that way from the get go.

Tubeless is what the other name for sew ups was. I personally would never use them because of what I saw happen during a race I was in.

We were doing 10 mile time trials for the city, and there were all sorts of riders there. One of them who went just ahead of me had a REALLY nice Klein with a nice speed suit and all the other fancy trimmings.

He also had tubeless tires. And, it was around 90 degrees that day.

Well, when he hit the turn around point, apparently the glue had softened enough that when he did the U turn to come back, the tires rolled right off the rims while he was leaning, and his rims hit the pavement and he skidded sideways and hit the ground.

Other than sew ups, I don't really know of any kind of tubeless tire that there is. Me? I have a pump on my bike, as well as carry silicone patches (just peel and stick). I'm happy with tube tires. Besides, having regular tubed tires gives you more variety in the kinds of tires you can ride. They are also a hell of a lot cheaper as well.

If you're interested in light weight and less rolling resistance, I could recommend using latex tubes, but I personally don't like them. Yeah, they are lighter than butyl, and they can take a lot of pressure for low rolling resistance, but they also leak air 2 to 3 times faster than butyl does. You know how you have to air up your tires every couple of weeks? You'd be doing it every three days if you had latex tubes.

I have seen sew ups peel off a rim and it ain't pretty.
From what I'm reading tubeless tires are different in that they use tire pressure to hold them on just like a tubed tire.
Ya get a flat on a tubed tire it shouldnt be any different than a tubeless and you're less likely to get a flat on a tubeless since tube pinching is eliminated.

Tubeless tire set up.

Apparently the goo acts like a tire sealant and is lighter than a tube.

Actually, only part of that is from bad form. Most of the cause is because the person doesn't know how to adjust their bike to fit them, and their seatpost is anywhere from 1/8 of an inch to an inch too high for them.

No doubt set up has a lot to do with it.
But I've seen guys with a knee bend that was way more than necessary at the bottom of the stroke yet it looked like two hog's wrestling in a sack from behind.
It happens with a rookie when they try and apply power through body motion. Efficient application of power through the legs is far more efficient and less tiring,not to mention less damaging to the lower back. You also so see a lot of bouncing in the saddle due to improper stroke on the crank cycle.
There should be no motion above the hip joints unless standing on the pedals.

Smooth is fast,fast is smooth....
Ya gotta seperate your upper body from your lower body.

CANNONDALE TRAIL 5.jpg
Going to get back into cycling.
A little background,I raced BMX when I was 15 to 17 and had corporate sponsors through Robinson.
Rode street for around 15 years 6 days a week at 25 miles a day.
I've finally reached a point that I think I can ride again after back surgery and hip replacement.
Looking at the Trek Zektor or the Fuji Absolute.
It's a downgrade from my normal rides but I dont plan to get into it like I used to.
This is about comfortable exercise.

Anyone have any experience with city bikes?

Oh...I know there are different models.
Looking to spend around $1000
Rules to stay alive on a bicycle by:

1 - stay off streets and paved roads.

2 - don't try to outrun dogs.

3 - be prepared to fight off a mountain lion.

Last edited:
View attachment 188825
A little background,I raced BMX when I was 15 to 17 and had corporate sponsors through Robinson.
I've finally reached a point that I think I can ride again after back surgery and hip replacement.
It's a downgrade from my normal rides but I dont plan to get into it like I used to.

Thats a mountain bike.
While I've owned several of em I dont need to be riding one after back surgery.

View attachment 188825

I never try to outrun dogs. I prefer instead to turn them into little tumbling balls of fur that will never try to chase me again.

And all you need is a waterbottle.................................

I'd read once in Bicycling that dogs hate water, and if one started to chase you, to simply squirt them in the face with a water bottle. Well, a little while after I read that, I came across a dog that thought I was good to chase. When he got about 5 ft away from me, I squeezed my water bottle and caught him straight up the nose.

The dog then hit the brakes as quick as he could, but the trouble is, we were doing around 20 mph, and he turned into a rolling ball of fur.

Dog never chased me after that.

So, today's bicycling tip is that if a dog comes your way to chase you, shoot it in the face with your water bottle.

Works for just about all animals by the way.

Hey Here We Go Again...........................now that you've gotten your bike picked out and know what you're gonna ride now, how's about we switch the topic of the thread from what you're gonna buy, to cyclists swapping tips and other tricks of the road that they've used. I know that over the years, I've learned a thing or two, and so have you.

One of the ways that I knew you were a real cyclist is when you were talking about 90 to 100 rpms and spinning as a more efficient way of riding.

That.........................and the fact you thought that BioPace was crap. Anyone who has spent more than just a mile or two riding knows that to be true.

Here's my tip for the day.........................

When riding in cold weather (below 40 deg), put on a pair of nylons, then your bike shorts, and then a pair of tights. The added layer of the nylon hose works extremely well to keep you warm, and there isn't a whole bunch of bulk or bunching in your crotch from heavy clothing.

Another tip, is when washing your water bottle, put a couple of drops of bleach in the water, fill the bottle almost full and shake vigorously. Then, empty the water via the nipple at the top by squeezing it out. It will get any of the nasty critters that were left over from your last ride.

Hi. I've nothing to add as I'm a relative novice; I do bout 12 miles a day four days a week on a "fat tyred" bike.

I took cycling up after I did my Achilles playing basket ball...which I took up age 55.......played social for about three years. I have a Giant Trance downhill but for around town I use this one...

(not actual but much the same).

I don't ride on roads except to cross them so stick to bikepaths(combo or cement and light scrub). It's not all that heavy but I'm a big bloke with some back trouble..(bloody back spasms) . It suits me. (current age 61.)

Greg

Hi. I've nothing to add as I'm a relative notice; I do bout 12 miles a day four days a week on a "fat tyred" bike.

I took cycling up after I did my Achilles playing basket ball...which I took up age 55.......played social for about three years. I have a Giant Trance downhill but for around town I use this one...

I don't ride on roads except to cross them so stick to bikepaths(combo or cement and light scrub). It's not all that heavy but I'm a big bloke with some back trouble..(bloody back spasms) . It suits me. (current age 61.)

Greg

Quick question Greg, do you get more rolling resistance (harder to pedal) on the fat tired bike than you got with a mountain bike? I've seen these things around and have considered getting one with the bigger wheels and fat tires like the one you showed for mountain biking. The tires look like they could handle some pretty stout terrain.

Hey Here We Go Again...........................now that you've gotten your bike picked out and know what you're gonna ride now, how's about we switch the topic of the thread from what you're gonna buy, to cyclists swapping tips and other tricks of the road that they've used. I know that over the years, I've learned a thing or two, and so have you.

One of the ways that I knew you were a real cyclist is when you were talking about 90 to 100 rpms and spinning as a more efficient way of riding.

That.........................and the fact you thought that BioPace was crap. Anyone who has spent more than just a mile or two riding knows that to be true.

Here's my tip for the day.........................

When riding in cold weather (below 40 deg), put on a pair of nylons, then your bike shorts, and then a pair of tights. The added layer of the nylon hose works extremely well to keep you warm, and there isn't a whole bunch of bulk or bunching in your crotch from heavy clothing.

Another tip, is when washing your water bottle, put a couple of drops of bleach in the water, fill the bottle almost full and shake vigorously. Then, empty the water via the nipple at the top by squeezing it out. It will get any of the nasty critters that were left over from your last ride.

Make sure your panniers have sufficient backing or are packed tight or they'll get blown into your spokes at high speed.
Found out the hard way outside of La Grange doing 50 on a downhill.
Rode it without crashing even after the tire blew.

Oh...and you can get a speeding ticket on a bicycle.

Last edited:

Ahem: lycra and me don't mix!!! I don't ride in groups.

Greg

Hi. I've nothing to add as I'm a relative novice; I do bout 12 miles a day four days a week on a "fat tyred" bike.

Greg

I've seen those a lot lately.
That spinning weight has to be ridiculous!!
But I bet it's smooth as hell!

Ahem: lycra and me don't mix!!! I don't ride in groups.

Greg

I got a few buddies I rode with,looks like I'll be back with em.
Now i'll have to listen to their shit about me being to slow after my long absence.

Hi. I've nothing to add as I'm a relative notice; I do bout 12 miles a day four days a week on a "fat tyred" bike.

Greg

Quick question Greg, do you get more rolling resistance (harder to pedal) on the fat tired bike than you got with a mountain bike? I've seen these things around and have considered getting one with the bigger wheels and fat tires like the one you showed for mountain biking. The tires look like they could handle some pretty stout terrain.

Yes, but it's quite surprising how steady it goes. It's slower than the hard and soft tails I have but I'm not looking to do any fast times; just cruising. Sounds loud on the concrete when you get a bit of speed up..especially going down hills but there are plenty of gears and I just get into a groove. Plus I have legs like tree trunks. getting on and off paths is easy; I borrowed my son's bike once and went to mount the path from grass; the wheel went the direction of the rise in the path from the grass; I went straight ahead. Not a problem with the fat tyres.

Greg

Forum List

Back