Customer Care: A Philosphical Perspective

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
Customer care, serving others, effectuating the best experience possible has been something I have had a lifelong interest in. It is a passion of mine.

Beginning with my first business a small bookkeeping and taxation business in The Bronx when I was 14 years old getting clients that were mom and pop stores and the people who went to bars( they did not want to do their taxes and I was cheap and dressed in a suit). Through today I have always had a keen interest in what makes a business grow, how I can best serve those who patronize the business and how to give them a value added experience.

The product or service the patron desires is one thing, they can get that product or service anywhere.

The question then becomes how can I can I make the business/organization their first choice, have repeat "customers" and grow through word of mouth.

Last year prior to buying my motorcycle I has a discussion with Scott Wine CEO of Polaris Industries and Steve Menneto, who oversees Victory and Indian operations as VP-Motorcycles and I told them I am not just buying a motorcycle I am forming a partnership with their organization. I wanted to know what that partnership would look like from my end as a consumer. This is a new product line for them.

As it turns out I was asked if I wanted to start the inaugural motorcycle club in my area. I will do this.

My style has elements of Nordstrom and LLBean customer care. I have been assisting the VA on pro bono basis for years on their advisory board regarding the treatment and care patients receive in addition to several other organizations.

To me how a person is treated by a company/organization they frequent is developed from a philosophical perspective and executed in how each individual is treated and how that experience is viewed.

How do you folks like to be treated? What do you expect when you give of your time, your patronage and your loyalty to a business/organization?

I had a business partner who was socially retarded. Not only was he incapable of understanding the need to treat clients/customers like you truly appreciate their patronage, he actually didn't care to learn. Needless to say that venture did not last.

I treat clients as I wish to be treated. I tell them and show them that their support of my company is greatly appreciated. It's takes little effort to extend courtesy which in and of itself generates loyalty. Go beyond common courtesy and treat customers like your business depends on them (which it does) and you have a customer for life.

Last edited:
I try to treat everyone in life with reciprocity: do to others as I want them do to me.

That meant in the academy, the military, and the public sector I ensured to the best possible level internal and external customer care.

That means everyone: family, business associates, church members, neighbors, grocery and drug and convenience stores, the mailman, the dental and medical folks, every one.

The blessings that have come from that have included smooth operations, little unhappiness, and reciprocal blessings beyond imagination.

Last edited:
I can think of only two things I've used consistently for years. Both of them for about 25 years. One is Starbucks Coffee. I lived in Seattle when Starbucks originated and where the first stores were opened. In the beginning they were trying to promote themselves and drum up business. They had a promotional thing where you were given a punch card which they'd punch whenever you bought 250 grams of coffee. After buying a certain amount, you got one free. I took several and made that scheme work for me for a couple of years. I've had coffee from the US and all over Europe, and I think Starbucks is very good. When I'm someplace that doesn't sell good coffee in the grocery store, I buy it at Starbucks by the bag. The only reason I have stuck with them for 25 years is I like the quality of the product. I don't buy their over priced pastries and foods. Only coffee.

The other thing is a skin care line I use, which I've also been using for 25 years. I use it because it is very good quality, and it is plant based, using no animal products and doesn't test on animals. I buy it all over the world in department stores, airports, & shops in Europe that sell cosmetics and perfumes. I don't deal directly with the company. They do often have specialty priced items, and they always have samples to give away, which are great for traveling. But, the quality is so high, I'd buy it anyway.

So, really, for both companies it is essentially the quality. Consistent quality. That's why I stick with them.

I don't have any loyalty or consistency with any other product, not that I can think of.

Another thing: I've never had one bit of problem with either product, so I've never had the need to complain about or return an item. Apparently, if you have a product that is beyond reproach, you don't need to have a complex customer service program set up.

Last edited:
Customer care, serving others, effectuating the best experience possible has been something I have had a lifelong interest in. It is a passion of mine.

Beginning with my first business a small bookkeeping and taxation business in The Bronx when I was 14 years old getting clients that were mom and pop stores and the people who went to bars( they did not want to do their taxes and I was cheap and dressed in a suit). Through today I have always had a keen interest in what makes a business grow, how I can best serve those who patronize the business and how to give them a value added experience.

The product or service the patron desires is one thing, they can get that product or service anywhere.

The question then becomes how can I can I make the business/organization their first choice, have repeat "customers" and grow through word of mouth.

Last year prior to buying my motorcycle I has a discussion with Scott Wine CEO of Polaris Industries and Steve Menneto, who oversees Victory and Indian operations as VP-Motorcycles and I told them I am not just buying a motorcycle I am forming a partnership with their organization. I wanted to know what that partnership would look like from my end as a consumer. This is a new product line for them.

As it turns out I was asked if I wanted to start the inaugural motorcycle club in my area. I will do this.

My style has elements of Nordstrom and LLBean customer care. I have been assisting the VA on pro bono basis for years on their advisory board regarding the treatment and care patients receive in addition to several other organizations.

To me how a person is treated by a company/organization they frequent is developed from a philosophical perspective and executed in how each individual is treated and how that experience is viewed.

How do you folks like to be treated? What do you expect when you give of your time, your patronage and your loyalty to a business/organization?
One of my businesses is legal / govt service related, and I can tell you, customer care is everything. And the proof is in the pudding. Over 60 percent of our gross is repeat customers or referrals, and that percentage keeps growing over time. Since there is no "hard sell" involved, I tell my employees to explain everything clearly and make sure they never promise something that they cannot perform, and to inform clients of the risks involved.

And most importantly, show respect and appreciation for the client choosing you and your company to go with. The big payoff is when corporations refer other corporations to us which happens all the time. That's when you know you're doing something right.

In a day and age of yelp and google reviews etc. a business that mistreats its customers will pay a big price for its behavior. People tell us all the time "I read about you guys in the internet to and that's why I choose you". I know personally I read reviews, especially when I choose destinations and hotels to go to, and I have learned a lot from those reviews about a business.

• Banned
I had a business partner who was socially retarded. Not only was he incapable of understanding the need to treat clients/customers like you truly appreciate their patronage, he actually didn't care to learn. Needless to say that venture did not last.

I treat clients as I wish to be treated. I tell them and show them that their support of my company is greatly appreciated. It's takes little effort to extend courtesy which in and of itself generates loyalty. Go beyond common courtesy and treat customers like your business depends on them (which it does) and you have a customer for life.

I like what you said.

Recently, I was at LLBean returning an item with a receipt and my LLBean credit card. The cashier wanted my driver's license. I figured for photo purposes I offered my military ID, it has my picture and name and official seal. No personal information.

The cashier insisted that I produce my driver's license it was LLBean and I have a long standing relationship with them. I gave my driver's license. I had no idea why the cashier started to copy information and I finished the transaction.

When I got home I called the corporate offices and they conducted an investigation.

A few days later I received a call from the head of security who informed me that the practice of taking a driver's license was not the practice Of LLBean and the personnel had made a mistake.

This singular incident has instilled a greater respect for the organization and the employee who I have seen several times after this incident. The full disclosure and transparency shown by LLBean not only this time, but many times gives me reason to trust these people and the company.

The Corporate offices supported their personnel and provided better training.

I like what you said.

Recently, I was at LLBean returning an item with a receipt and my LLBean credit card. The cashier wanted my driver's license. I figured for photo purposes I offered my military ID, it has my picture and name and official seal. No personal information.

The cashier insisted that I produce my driver's license it was LLBean and I have a long standing relationship with them. I gave my driver's license. I had no idea why the cashier started to copy information and I finished the transaction.

When I got home I called the corporate offices and they conducted an investigation.

A few days later I received a call from the head of security who informed me that the practice of taking a driver's license was not the practice Of LLBean and the personnel had made a mistake.

This singular incident has instilled a greater respect for the organization and the employee who I have seen several times after this incident. The full disclosure and transparency shown by LLBean not only this time, but many times gives me reason to trust these people and the company.

The Corporate offices supported their personnel and provided better training.

Funny thing. The backpack I use, for day trips and trips up to 2-3 weeks (I travel light), is from LL Bean. I purchased it in 1984 and I still use it. I could definitely say I have loyalty for LL Bean. This backpack gets regular use and has been used for nearly 30 years. Again, it is the quality of the product that makes the difference to me.

• Banned

One of my businesses is legal / govt service related, and I can tell you, customer care is everything. And the proof is in the pudding. Over 60 percent of our gross is repeat customers or referrals, and that percentage keeps growing over time. Since there is no "hard sell" involved, I tell my employees to explain everything clearly and make sure they never promise something that they cannot perform, and to inform clients of the risks involved.

And most importantly, show respect and appreciation for the client choosing you and your company to go with. The big payoff is when corporations refer other corporations to us which happens all the time. That's when you know you're doing something right.

In a day and age of yelp and google reviews etc. a business that mistreats its customers will pay a big price for its behavior. People tell us all the time "I read about you guys in the internet to and that's why I choose you". I know personally I read reviews, especially when I choose destinations and hotels to go to, and I have learned a lot from those reviews about a business.

Yep full disclosure, risks etc. The worst thing is when clients sit and wonder what is going on. That element of trust comes in and the client can turn into a good source of referrals or a reliance aspect of positive cash flow. People want to be informed.

You mentioned a "philosophy" a few times, but are you really just talking about a business approach?

You mentioned a "philosophy" a few times, but are you really just talking about a business approach?

No not a business approach alone. There is a whole philosophy from my perspective. The business approach is results driven based on product or service rendered.

This is more how do you treat those who wish to visit your establishment/organization.

For example, Indian Motorcycles sent my son an official Motorcycle Riders Club pin that he will wear on his Cub Scout Uniform. These people spent a few cents and in return have all garnered my desire to help them in their venture. I already bought the bike I am not gong to buy another for a good long time and if I do it has nothing to do with the pin my son will wear.

No not a business approach alone. There is a whole philosophy from my perspective. The business approach is results driven based on product or service rendered.

This is more how do you treat those who wish to visit your establishment/organization.

For example, Indian Motorcycles sent my son an official Motorcycle Riders Club pin that he will wear on his Cub Scout Uniform. These people spent a few cents and in return have all garnered my desire to help them in their venture. I already bought the bike I am not gong to buy another for a good long time and if I do it has nothing to do with the pin my son will wear.

This may be an effective example of behaviorism, but what exactly is the underlying philosophy, if I may ask?

This may be an effective example of behaviorism, but what exactly is the underlying philosophy, if I may ask?

Treating the customer with love, respect and value. "Love" within the parameters established in the Agape sense of meaning. It is one thing to provide the product or service it is entirely another to reach into the customer and speak what values they hold. That is not a simple or mechanical task. That takes a great deal of development and establishing an identity which people can rely upon which speaks to your audience's core values.

I work in the hospitality and service industry. There are three main goals. Quality of service/product given, fostering a positive customer experience and growing the business.

The idea of "what can i do for you right now that can make your experience better" is always the best way to go.

now.... knowing this and being from the "back of the house" i understand its workings very well.

what i expect as a customer.... is what i know they are and should be capable of. Do your job and do it well is what i expect.

Treating the customer with love, respect and value. "Love" within the parameters established in the Agape sense of meaning. It is one thing to provide the product or service it is entirely another to reach into the customer and speak what values they hold. That is not a simple or mechanical task. That takes a great deal of development and establishing an identity which people can rely upon which speaks to your audience's core values.

I suppose I'm asking why do so, if for any other reason than to profit? Would you (in the general sense) "love, respect, and value" them if there were no benefit to be had on your part? If so, why charge for goods and services beyond bare subsistence?

I suppose I'm asking why do so, if for any other reason than to profit? Would you (in the general sense) "love, respect, and value" them if there were no benefit to be had on your part? If so, why charge for goods and services beyond bare subsistence?

Is there anyone on Earth who puts up with you other than the people on this board? Perhaps you should think about your personal 'customer service,' philosophically that is, in how you market yourself to other people: then you'd realize why you have no friends IRL.

I have to agree with you, Connery. Customer service really begins AFTER The sale. I was in car biz years ago and when I sold them the car I would wash their license plate. It was a new car. Why put a dirty license plate on their new car? It is the small things. A call the next day. How was the drive home? Do you have any questions about buttons, switches, etc? Anything they didn't know how to work? Do you need help to set up your garage door opener? All the things they may not have thought of.. will make them tell others about you. You'll have a customer for life. They are the people who build your clientele and your business. I would also send them business from my networking clubs and invite them as speakers if they owned a business or were in sales. I got referrals from these people too.

My boss appreciated my efforts but began to side with the managers against customers which grieved me because I knew these complaints were valid. Later he found out those same managers were stealing from him. He learned the hard way although I do not see his business has rebounded from the damage they did to his reputation. I left in the midst of it. ( one of the managers keyed the paint on my cust. car because it was my sale and he was jealous of me. He did that to my customer! She told me she knew he did it even though she couldn't prove it. I felt he did it but didn't let her know that. So I was late getting that delivery and sale finished. It had to be fixed. )

* Good customer service

The key is what do your customers remember about their experience? The memory of the experience far outlasts everything else.

Last edited:

Is there anyone on Earth who puts up with you other than the people on this board?

Go play somewhere else. I'm trying to have a discussion with an adult here.

Is there anyone on Earth who puts up with you other than the people on this board?

Go play somewhere else. I'm trying to have a discussion with an adult here.
Ironically, what you are doing is playing your little trolling game, not being an adult at all. Way to project.

I have to agree with you, Connery. Customer service really begins AFTER The sale. I was in car biz years ago and when I sold them the car I would wash their license plate. It was a new car. Why put a dirty license plate on their new car? It is the small things. A call the next day. How was the drive home? Do you have any questions about buttons, switches, etc? Anything they didn't know how to work? Do you need help to set up your garage door opener? All the things they may not have thought of.. will make them tell others about you. You'll have a customer for life. They are the people who build your clientele and your business. I would also send them business from my networking clubs and invite them as speakers if they owned a business or were in sales. I got referrals from these people too.

My boss appreciated my efforts but began to side with the managers against customers which grieved me because I knew these complaints were valid. Later he found out those same managers were stealing from him. He learned the hard way although I do not see his business has rebounded from the damage they did to his reputation. I left in the midst of it. ( one of the managers keyed the paint on my cust. car because it was my sale and he was jealous of me. He did that to my customer! She told me she knew he did it even though she couldn't prove it. I felt he did it but didn't let her know that. So I was late getting that delivery and sale finished. It had to be fixed. )

* Good customer service

The key is what do your customers remember about their experience? The memory of the experience far outlasts everything else.

You bring up a great point: Team building! If there is poor leadership it trickles down to the customer base through those personnel that come into contact with the customers. There is no excuse for that and it erodes positive flow and inertia that builds when team or member is doing the right type of job.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back