leaders: born, or made?

Are great leaders born, or made?

• Born. Only born.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Made. Only made.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • A combination of being both born AND made.

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • None of the above. They just are, existentially and/ or metaphysically speaking. Period.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I guess I really don't know. I blame George W. Bush.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
Are the greatest leaders born, i.e. entitled via aristocracy or plutocracy, or are they made great via the nicks, pings and bruises on their bodies and the dirt under their fingernails acquired from the charismatic camaraderie and quantification of hard work?

Me, I tend to think that the best leaders are made, not born.

But because some of the most well-known leaders in world history (Alexander the Great, King Solomon and Winston Churchill, for example) were both born into wealth or the statesmanship of surname and molded from the clay of their hard work—and the gut-wrenching emotional and spiritual mountains and valleys that accompanied that work—I'm not sure one can definitively state that they are only made.

It's been a while since I was in a philosophy class, so I'm hoping that some fellow USMBers will put a good spin on the question and thereby give me a helping hand with this.

Last edited:
Leaders, great leaders exhibit qualities that need to be nurtured and honed. It is not just one act that separate leaders from followers it is a pattern of behavior that separates leaders and those who are lead. While you mention famous people I am also thinking of not so famous leaders that I am aware of and there are those qualities. I do not think birth is a great factor except in possibly giving exposure to a population.

Last edited:
I think it is a combination of born with it and made by the circumstances of your life. Someone who is really shy is going to have a tougher time being a leader than someone who is more outgoing. But if that shy person goes into the military, chances are they will have more leadership qualities when they get out than when they went in.

It is divine providence in my opinion. King David was born to rule. So was King Josiah. Patton was playing stategies of warfare at the age of 5 according to his mother. A brilliant strategist - interested in battle plans from early on, he was born for it.. it was his destiny to become Gen. Patton... you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.. it simply does not work that way... the great ones such as Churchill always stand out in history.. Mozart was born to lead the world in music, was he made? No.. Leaders are born. Finding them these days is the difficult part.

I think it is a combination of born with it and made by the circumstances of your life. Someone who is really shy is going to have a tougher time being a leader than someone who is more outgoing. But if that shy person goes into the military, chances are they will have more leadership qualities when they get out than when they went in.

That is probably true. It makes sense to me that a more introverted, shy person by definition alone cannot be a great leader, because great leaders tend to have a sort of cult-of-personality-esque charisma, of charm about them.

But while military experience is a definite plus, I am not certain it is a must — even for an extrovert.

Right off the top of my head, I can think of a few leaders who never had military experience, yet could command and woo a crowd with a sort of fire-and-brimstone-eschatological-preacher's fervor.

Thanks for your post. It made me think, which is exactly what I set out to do when I penned this thread.

It is divine providence in my opinion. King David was born to rule. So was King Josiah. Patton was playing stategies of warfare at the age of 5 according to his mother. A brilliant strategist - interested in battle plans from early on, he was born for it.. it was his destiny to become Gen. Patton... you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.. it simply does not work that way... the great ones such as Churchill always stand out in history.. Mozart was born to lead the world in music, was he made? No..

Could Mozart have ever led the world in music if he had not had parents who challenged him at a young age to play an instrument?

I don't think one can definitively say leaders are only born: I think it's a combination of being born and made.

Jeremiah said:
Leaders are born. Finding them these days is the difficult part.

The fact that we can't always find them is probably George W. Bush's fault. :lol:

Born

You see young children who are natural leaders? You also see kid who can never lead

Last edited:
Leaders are made.

Some people may be easier to be molded into a leader through opportunities of birth ... But that doesn't mean every rich baby is a good leader.
Some people have the talents a leader should possess ... But really suck at executing the duties in a proficient manner.
Some people do have traits that accent their leadership abilities ... And that can be inherited or environmental.

Still ... A leader has to develop their own abilities and style to meet the desires of those they would like to lead.

Last edited:
The word leader is a simple application of an idea to varied situations. As a society we need leadership but depending on the situation that leadership can take on many forms. Sometimes it is an elder who is looked upon to be a leader and their experience and wisdom is sought to decide a course of action or establish a system of rules. In other situations a leader can be different people in the same social group depending on the activity. In a street gang the toughest or most skilled fighter may qualify as the leaser. The answer to this seemingly simple question cannot be given in general terms.

Last edited:
The better question is...do we need leaders and what is the history of leaders?

IMO we do not need leaders. They are mostly corrupt liars who work tirelessly to enrich and empower themselves, while causing the deaths of millions.

The better question is...do we need leaders and what is the history of leaders?

IMO we do not need leaders. They are mostly corrupt liars who work tirelessly to enrich and empower themselves, while causing the deaths of millions.
You are entitled to that view, but it would be wrong.

It is divine providence in my opinion. King David was born to rule. So was King Josiah. Patton was playing stategies of warfare at the age of 5 according to his mother. A brilliant strategist - interested in battle plans from early on, he was born for it.. it was his destiny to become Gen. Patton... you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.. it simply does not work that way... the great ones such as Churchill always stand out in history.. Mozart was born to lead the world in music, was he made? No..

Could Mozart have ever led the world in music if he had not had parents who challenged him at a young age to play an instrument?

I don't think one can definitively say leaders are only born: I think it's a combination of being born and made.

Jeremiah said:

The fact that we can't always find them is probably George W. Bush's fault. :lol:
I think they are made only. Each of us start as a blank slate and our environment during formative years sets the foundation of who and what we'll be.

OF course, you have to exclude those with genetic deficiencies that inhibit normal development. In all honesty, this is a very complex question. There have also been numerous studies and books written on it.

Jeremiah said:

I think they are made only. Each of us start as a blank slate and our environment during formative years sets the foundation of who and what we'll be.

OF course, you have to exclude those with genetic deficiencies that inhibit normal development. In all honesty, this is a very complex question. There have also been numerous studies and books written on it.

Everything would lead me to believe leaders are made but you cannot rule out genetic physical factors such as being able to see better or hear better. Being able to observe body language and identify feelings in the tone of voice is a component of leadership in one on one situations.

we haven't HAD any since Ike, so I can't really blame younger folks for not knowing what one is.

Forum List

Back