Customer Care: A Philosphical Perspective

On the bright side the job I mentioned was the exception as I had my own wallpaper business for over 2 decades and was very successful. My clients were all referrals and decorators. I did go out of my way for them as well. I would leave the room cleaner than when I arrived and wash the baseboards, floors by hand so there was no residue of glue or water stains. I was very much a perfectionist in my work from start to finish. So that was very gratifying. That is what perhaps some business owners do not understand or value. The gratification of knowing you gave people the very best work / service you had to offer and they appreciated it. That is a very rewarding feeling.

yes... but that was just you. You were responsible to you and your customers. Its easy when its just you.... the control is all there with you.

im my example.... the owner got to big for his britches..... He got so out of touch with his customer base and lead employees......(other then that freaking GM) ..... it was scary.....

He was fine when he had a 15 seat counter and was behind the line cooking..... schmoozing with his customers....

80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers.

80% of your grief with unreasonable complaints comes from 20% of your customers.

Fortunately the two are not always the same.

A business intent on growth and just ignore that and the percentages will remain pretty much the same. Or you can concentrate on enhancing the customer satisfaction of the "good" customers and actively driving away, through poor service, the ones that generate constant expense through abuse of customer service.

The latter is taking on a certain vogue.

Department stores (even slightly upscale) are keeping track of customers habits. When a good customer has problem it gets fixed. When an expensive customer has a problem he/she/it finds little satisfaction though not an open suggestion to take the business elsewhere. But that's the desired result and it seems to be working. Total business growth slows but profit soars through eliminating costly problems.

My job involves working a lot with students, in one department, at a university. Students and their families are my customers. I never tend to think of it as "business" or "job" - but, when they come to me for help, I want to make them feel respected, comfortable and feeling like they can come back at any time if they need more help. I'm there for them. It's easy to get lost or get the run-around in a big university like ours and many times that happens and they get sent needlessly from place to place. My job, as I see it - is to make their experience when they come to me, as good as possible no matter how upset they are. That's how I view "customer care" in my job. :)

Yes it is good to make them feel as if you are there to assist them. Not your behind the big desk and they are in little chair in front of you. When I worked in sales I would always take a chair and seat myself next to my customer rather than sit behind the desk across from them. It worked well because we were on equal ground in a visual sense. It does make a difference when they know you are working with them and are sincerely interested in their success. ( and happiness )

80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers.

80% of your grief with unreasonable complaints comes from 20% of your customers.

Fortunately the two are not always the same.

A business intent on growth and just ignore that and the percentages will remain pretty much the same. Or you can concentrate on enhancing the customer satisfaction of the "good" customers and actively driving away, through poor service, the ones that generate constant expense through abuse of customer service.

The latter is taking on a certain vogue.

Department stores (even slightly upscale) are keeping track of customers habits. When a good customer has problem it gets fixed. When an expensive customer has a problem he/she/it finds little satisfaction though not an open suggestion to take the business elsewhere. But that's the desired result and it seems to be working. Total business growth slows but profit soars through eliminating costly problems.

This takes investigation and commitment in enhancing the relationship with customers as a whole. The constant complainers still need to have their complaints investigated and a determination rendered. It is when they are not taken seriously that problems may fester and become a great deal of trouble.

Yes it is good to make them feel as if you are there to assist them. Not your behind the big desk and they are in little chair in front of you. When I worked in sales I would always take a chair and seat myself next to my customer rather than sit behind the desk across from them. It worked well because we were on equal ground in a visual sense. It does make a difference when they know you are working with them and are sincerely interested in their success. ( and happiness )

It's interesting...about 5 years ago, we moved our department to a newly renovated building. We had a lot of say in the renovation and (in a battle with the college) - we were able to call a lot of shots in how it was designed. We looked at the main offices of several other departments that had been newly renovated. In all of them - there was some form of "seperation" between staff and those who came in, such as students. High desk tops or glass interfaces like tellers.

Our department has always been informal (we're Geology and Geography, kind of earthy folks) and we did not feel comfortable with that. I felt like it would create a seperation both physical and "status" that make students feel more seperated from us. We all agreed that was not what we wanted. We ended up choosing a very open floor plan, and next to each of our desks we had a comforatable chair. Every one was on the same level and relaxed - there was easy flow between desks and amongst people.

It worked for the students, the faculty and we, the staff and promoted a sense of equality and respect. I have never regreted our choices there :)

It's interesting...about 5 years ago, we moved our department to a newly renovated building. We had a lot of say in the renovation and (in a battle with the college) - we were able to call a lot of shots in how it was designed. We looked at the main offices of several other departments that had been newly renovated. In all of them - there was some form of "seperation" between staff and those who came in, such as students. High desk tops or glass interfaces like tellers.

Our department has always been informal (we're Geology and Geography, kind of earthy folks) and we did not feel comfortable with that. I felt like it would create a seperation both physical and "status" that make students feel more seperated from us. We all agreed that was not what we wanted. We ended up choosing a very open floor plan, and next to each of our desks we had a comforatable chair. Every one was on the same level and relaxed - there was easy flow between desks and amongst people.

It worked for the students, the faculty and we, the staff and promoted a sense of equality and respect. I have never regreted our choices there :)

This is very interesting as we discuss the various styles and approaches regarding "customer care".

As a cop and lawyer my parameters were always well defined and the problems solving on a graduated scale. As a business owner "customer care " took on a whole different meaning where there was a great deal of flexibility and I was the "rainmanker" generating clients building relationships which would generate revenue and building a team that would service those clients and building relationships with the families of both clients and employees. This is where a philosophical approach helped a great deal. I need to establish the identity of the business, have that model fit in with a vast array of cultures depending on what industry the client was generated from and have staff understand the differences. For example, my longshoremen clients wanted the "Bronx" guy, the football players wanted leadership/coaching style, the models wanted my french cuffs, fedoras and seven fold ties. They all got that, but that was surface stuff. What they all received was was a sense of family when they walked through my door and that still carries through today. They knew that and they appreciated that. Once we established our relationship and became part of what I was doing there was no going back.

Connery - that is a fascinating bit of insight. I have never thought of customer care in how I present myself (other than as myself) - or what person they might prefer to see. Very interesting :)

Pretty much...I focus on trying to be the one that can solve their problems and reduce their stress because in the end - it's usually the red-tape runaround that is so stressful and if I can cut that is what I do.

As a cop and lawyer my parameters were always well defined and the problems solving on a graduated scale. As a business owner "customer care " took on a whole different meaning where there was a great deal of flexibility and I was the "rainmanker" generating clients building relationships which would generate revenue and building a team that would service those clients and building relationships with the families of both clients and employees. This is where a philosophical approach helped a great deal. I need to establish the identity of the business, have that model fit in with a vast array of cultures depending on what industry the client was generated from and have staff understand the differences. For example, my longshoremen clients wanted the "Bronx" guy, the football players wanted leadership/coaching style, the models wanted my french cuffs, fedoras and seven fold ties. They all got that, but that was surface stuff. What they all received was was a sense of family when they walked through my door and that still carries through today. They knew that and they appreciated that. Once we established our relationship and became part of what I was doing there was no going back.

I don't know what area of law you were involved in, but mine is a tax practice. Generally I am in either of two situations, meeting the client or representing them with the IRS (sometimes with the client present but more often without). Many of my clients start out scared shitless of the IRS or mad as hell at the government. Like you, I am the rainmaker, but in two different senses. First, I get referrals from a lot of places and have to screen clients. We bail on about a third of engagements, because I don't want to waste client's time and money if I can't do anything for them. Some are lost causes, and others I can advise how to get the job done for free (I dislike predatory practitioners and God knows there are enough out there). Secondly, our tax, accounting, and payroll divisions pay the bills and our largest and most loyal clients stay with us because of our success in past representations.

The key thing IMHO is to hear the client out before saying anything about what you can do for them. A lot are too rattled to note what year is in question. The more you know before committing yourself to an analysis, the better your advice will be.

Playing to the peanut gallery rarely works, especially when dealing with the IRS or IRS counsel in Tax Court cases. As much as clients want a big shot representing them, doing so effectively and professionally is a better play. At the end of the day, I'm not much concerned about how my "client service" is perceived. If I do the job the way I know works best, I get better outcomes. Abraham Lincoln once advised a young lawyer to never put off what could be accomplished today on a case, and not to accept fees before the work can be fairly started. I can't improve on that much.

When I have had interactions of customer service in masonry contracting, the customer likes to know that you are knowledgeable of the trade and have their concerns as yours. I also have to negotiate prices. i have always used the idea that I give fair prices and fast service to complete the work....

I've found dealing with masonry contractors is like talking to a brick wall.

ATM Note

The issue of customer care has been afforded new symbolic significance in our time of mercantilism-catalyzed globalization (i.e., eTrade).

When I walk into a business owned by an ethnic minority, and if I notice that the owners/managers do not speak English perfectly, I think about general modern age multi-culturalism social contracts regarding goods exchange.

You know, that timelessly entertaining board game "Monopoly" (Parker Brothers), which requires players to compete in a real-estate speculation scenario, has been developed into a popular iPhone video game app and is really representative of today's interest in mercantilism/shopping 'couture.'

It seems that customer care is now as important socially as environmental issues. This, incidentally, explains the sudden rise in popularity (and sales) of eco-avatar themed comic book stories about Poison Ivy (DC Comics), a diabolical eco-terrorist.

What is man's contract with that darned ATM?

:banana:

Monopoly video games - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

cheeseburglar.jpg

Forum List

Back