Current status of the U.S. Senate......

Discussion in 'Congress' started by nat4900, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Lastamender

Lastamender Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,761
    I suppose you practice what you preach? Please tell us another one.

2. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,253
    By what contrivance did you feel the need to make the conversation about me? ....Whatever, I don't even want the answer to that question because how your mind works isn't important to me. I simply find it odd that you chose that deflective discursive tactic.

It is safe to say that I do practice what I preach. It's safe also to say that I occasionally have lapses, but unlike Trump, it is the lapses that are occasional, not the fact of my exhibiting integrity at the most basic level and in general. I expect no different from any other adult because, quite frankly, even children more regularly than Trump do exhibit the most basic levels of integrity.

And not that I expressly need to defend myself to you or anyone here -- I don't know you; you have no impact on my life; thus whether you concur that I practice what I preach isn't germane to me -- but rather to illustrate just a simple example one of the most basic forms of integrity, that of unequivocally "owning" one's mistakes, most especially when they pertain to points of objective fact, and moving on, I point to the following:
    Those are just few examples of that particular form of integrity to which I routinely cleave and that anyone can see that I do. There are others and myriad quantities of my USMB posts show as much. One may find instances in which I lapsed, but one will not find more instances of my having do so than will one find of my not having done so, and that is a key difference between Trump and me. You see, I understand that everyone makes honest mistakes, but not everyone is so small a man/woman, not everyone's character is so turpitudinous, and not everyone's sense of self is so fragile that they, as Trump consistently does, deign attempt defending themselves for having done so.

Even George W. Bush acknowledged and apologized for what was likely the single biggest mistake of his presidency. In doing so, he remarked, among other things, that he "hoped to be remembered as a 'guy that came, didn't sell his soul for politics, had to make some tough decisions, and did so in a principled way.'" That really is all one of good character can ask for, and it's all people can expect of others. In no way can one say credibly that Trump does anything in a principled way, unless, of course, the principle be that of "at all costs, attempt, however preposterously, to make Trump seem to be a deity."

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  3. Lastamender

Lastamender Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,761
    I suppose you practice what you preach? Please tell us another one.
    You seem to be quite full of yourself, along with something else. Trump has all the character he needs. Remember he is trying to do what he was elected to do. As far as I am concerned the incumbents in both parties lack what you have so much of(according to you).

4. BasicHumanUnit

BasicHumanUnit Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,864

5. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,253
    I make no explicit claim about how much integrity I have. I claim to have more of it than does Trump. The half-dozen examples I shared wherein I owned my mistakes are more manifestation of integrity than there is on record of exhibiting in the entirety of his public life.

6. Lastamender

Lastamender Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,761
    Consequences from your actions are something that can be avoided, just not for long. Come back down here with the imperfect, you will be more comfortable.

7. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,253
    I am quite comfortable where I am, thank you.

8. Lastamender

Lastamender Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,761
    Trump is also quite comfortable too.

9. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,591
    The Republican Platform is much, much bigger, and much more important, than Donald Trump.

Remember a few years ago,, the all the press could say about the Republicans in Congress was that they were "The Party of 'No'"? Well, the Democrats are voting on every issue in lockstep opposition to the President and the Republicans, and the MSM is strangely silent on their uniform, mindless opposition, despite the fact that Trump and the Republicans WON(!).

If the Democrats continue to vote in lockstep against Trump on immigration, taxes, national security, The Wall, and so on, it will be playing right into the hands of the Republicans. The few Republican Jag-Offs mentioned above will remain in line for many important things, like voting to confirm Conservative Judges and Justices, and that might be enough to make everything worthwhile.

10. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,253
    Is he? He seems a more bit defensive -- about all manners of things that, really people of good/high character would never be defensive about -- to me, and being on the defensive doesn't jibe with my notions of "being comfortable." Comfortable in one's own skin is the first level of comfort, and lots of folks have that, yet Trump apparently does not given his defensiveness about all things great and small.

I don't care what you think about me. I don't think about you at all.
    -- Coco Chanel​