Current QB talent

Johnny Unitas would have gone wild under todays rules

But mahomes or hurts wouldnt last two games under the old NFL rules
Sure. But he's one guy. Im talking about the whole. The point of the thread was that there is more talent at the QB position now than at any other time in history. Not that one guy from the past wouldnt have done well or not.

Johnny Unitas would have gone wild under todays rules
Sure. But he's one guy. Im talking about the whole. The point of the thread was that there is more talent at the QB position now than at any other time in history. Not that one guy from the past wouldnt have done well or not.
Unitas was only slightly better than many other rival QB’s of that time

Just as the gap between mahomes and other top quarterbacks exists today but its not very large

Nope, they didn't. They also didn't play under the old rules. It would be interesting to see how they would fare if they did. Strawman argument as it could never happen.
But you're using the rule changes as some type of proof that they are less talented. Which is asinine.

If Josh Allen didn’t hurt his elbow then I think more people would be rating him in 1st or 2nd place. Between Allen and Mahomes it’s really close, and then there’s the rest of the field.

1) Allen Mahomes

2) Herbert
3) Burrow
4) Jackson
5) Hurts

Last edited:
But you're using the rule changes as some type of proof that they are less talented. Which is asinine.
You're projecting. You have posted throughout this thread about current talent being superior. My counter is that they are not playing under the same rules. If they were, it is quite possible, you would not be so impressed. You refuse to acknowledge that.

You're projecting. You have posted throughout this thread about current talent being superior. My counter is that they are not playing under the same rules. If they were, it is quite possible, you would not be so impressed. You refuse to acknowledge that.
Is being bigger, faster and stronger an advantage at QB? At every position on the football field? The answer to that question is yes. Regardless of rule set. You know that. Everyone knows that. In fact under the old rule set being bigger, faster and stronger is a greater advantage than under the current one. It's undeniable that current QB's and the players at every position for that matter are bigger faster and stronger than the players in the 70's. That's not debatable. We can look up the heights and weights of players in both eras. QB's are 3 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier on average today vs the 70's. Every position on the field is much faster and much stronger. So tell me how it's possible that given that being bigger, faster and stronger is an advantage, and yet the talent levels from era to era are equal.

Everyone knows that.
No, everyone doesn't know that and neither do you. Your logic is flawed in so many ways, but I can demolish your strawman in one response. If this current set of players is so much bigger, badder and faster than their predecessors, then it follows that with the softer set of rules they should be setting records at a much greater pace than has been the case in the past. But that is not happening. Records are always broken but when the rules change--thinking people take that into account.

No, everyone doesn't know that and neither do you. Your logic is flawed in so many ways, but I can demolish your strawman in one response. If this current set of players is so much bigger, badder and faster than their predecessors, then it follows that with the softer set of rules they should be setting records at a much greater pace than has been the case in the past. But that is not happening. Records are always broken but when the rules change--thinking people take that into account.

wait. You’re not seriously trying to make the argument that being bigger faster and stronger isnt an advantage are you?

You realize the only qb from the 70s era or before in the top 20 for yds is Tarkenton at 15th. The guy you said was a scrub.

Mahomes will catch him in 4 years.….

Fran played 18 years. Mahomes will be in his 9th.

wait. You’re not seriously trying to make the argument that being bigger faster and stronger isnt an advantage are you?

You realize the only qb from the 70s era or before in the top 20 for yds is Tarkenton at 15th. The guy you said was a scrub.

Mahomes will catch him in 4 years.….

Fran played 18 years. Mahomes will be in his 9th.
Run along.

If Josh Allen didn’t hurt his elbow then I think more people would be rating him in 1st or 2nd place. Between Allen and Mahomes it’s really close, and then there’s the rest of the field.

1) Allen Mahomes

2) Herbert
3) Burrow
4) Jackson
5) Hurts

Nope. Mahomes isnt competing with Burrow or Allen. He's competing with Montana and Brady.

Nope. Mahomes isnt competing with Burrow or Allen. He's competing with Montana and Brady.
We’ll see. If Allen wins one next year the narrative changes. Allen is also a year younger. There’s plenty of time for the competition to heat up.

We’ll see. If Allen wins one next year the narrative changes. Allen is also a year younger. There’s plenty of time for the competition to heat up.

Mahomes has 2 SB trophies, 2 SB MVP's, 2 League MVP's. 3 SB appearances, 5 straight AFC Championship appearances. Allen has a long way to go to change the narrative.

Mahomes has 2 SB trophies, 2 SB MVP's, 2 League MVP's. 3 SB appearances, 5 straight AFC Championship appearances. Allen has a long way to go to change the narrative.
I still am not willing to anoint Mahomes king. The reason being I think Allen has a stronger arm, is faster, more elusive, and stronger. So I think Allen, because he’d a better player, has a chance to catch up to Mahomes. Time will tell

I still am not willing to anoint Mahomes king. The reason being I think Allen has a stronger arm, is faster, more elusive, and stronger. So I think Allen, because he’d a better player, has a chance to catch up to Mahomes. Time will tell
Allen turns the ball over too much.

Allen turns the ball over too much.
He started getting a lot of interceptions once he hurt his shoulder . The previous year and the year before that he didn’t through a lot of picks.

Forum List

Back