Current 2016 Presidential polling in Mississippi

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
MS.jpg

Partly because it's a neigboring state to Louisiana (which I just analysed some days ago), but also party because the numbers are indeed telling, I am starting the statistical baseline for Mississippi now, going into 2016.

PPP (D), just put out a new poll from Mississippi, with matchups between Hillary Clinton (D) and the prospective GOP field. This is the second poll of Mississippi vis-a-vis the 2016 race.

Now, that may sound unimportant until you realize that there was not even one single poll of Mississippi (Obama vs. Romney) taken in 2012. Mississippi was one of four states that was never polled vis-a-vis the 2012 election. Mississippi was polled 12 times in the 2008 (Obama vs. McCain) election. More about these details later.

Since the first 2016 poll of Mississippi is also a PPP (D) poll, we can make a direct comparison in most cases.

The most recent poll, released yesterday, July 17, 2014:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2014/PPP_Release_MS_717.pdf

691 RV, MoE = +/-3.7

The numerical values in parentheses are from the last PPP (D), where applicable, for comparison purposes. Italics = tie values.

Hillary Clinton (D) 42 (40)
Chris Christie (R) 45 (49)
Margin: Christie +3
Margin shift from previous poll: Clinton +6

Hillary Clinton (D) 43 (44)
Rand Paul (R) 45 (46)
Margin: Paul +2
Margin shift from previous poll: NO CHANGE

Hillary Clinton (D) 42 (42)
Jeb Bush (R) 47 (50)
Margin: Bush, J. +5
Margin shift from previous poll: Clinton +3

Hillary Clinton (D) 44 (45)
Ted Cruz (R) 44 (47)
Margin: Absolute TIE
Margin shift from previous poll: Clinton +2

Hillary Clinton (D) 42
Mike Huckabee (R) 49
Margin: Huckabee +7
Margin shift from previous poll: No comparison possible

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take-aways from this poll, also with a comparison to the former poll:

Mike Huckabee (R), a Southerner (Arkansas) and evangelical Christian, does the best against Hillary, with a solid +7. Jeb Bush (R), also a Southerner (Florida) does second best, with +5. And those two margins are outside of the margin of error.

The other three margins are not:

Ted Cruz (R), also a Southerner (Texas), is tied with Hillary. That is a shocker. In all of the polling from Mississippi in 2008, the WORST that John McCain did was +6 over Obama. The final polling average in MS for 2008 was: McCain +10.50 (McCain won by +13.17% in that year).

Chris Christie (R) (New Jersey) leads Hillary by +3, Rand Paul (R), a Southerner (Kentucky), leads Hillary by +2. So, the Cruz/Hillary tie and these two margins are all well within the MoE.

None of the GOP candidates gets to the 50 mark in a state where a GOP candidate should get about 56% or more of the vote on election night.

Now, I am not saying that Hillary Clinton will win Mississippi, but the numbers are already showing the race to be competitive, which is is an exceedingly bad sign for the GOP. The last time a Democrat lost Mississipi by less than 10 points (1996: Dole +5.13%), that Democrat, Bill Clinton, won nationally by +8.52%. Margins do matter, including in states where the national winner lost, according to the principle of:

"A rising tide lifts all boats"

At the end of 2011, I put out 50 state "bios". I do this one year before the next General election (also did it in late 2007), so I will be doing it again in 2015.

Here is the bio for Mississippi:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: Rank 39 / 13: Mississippi

You might really enjoy reading the long summary of the report; it shows what a very turbulent electoral history this state has had.

But just to remind, and in a nutshell: the last time a Democrat won this state on the national level was Jimmy Carter, a southern Democrat, in 1976, and he barely carried the state, with +1.88%. MS was first called for Carter at about 3 am on election night going into the next day, and, depending on which station you may have been watching, with Ohio, put Carter over the top.

Both times, as a "States Rights" 3rd party candidate was on the national ballot (Strom Thurmond 1948 / George Wallace 1968), Mississippi went for the 3rd party candidate.

And in 1960, Mississippians were so pissed off over Kennedy's stance on Civil Rights that that state cast it's electors for NOBODY, because Mississipians placed "unpledged electors" on the ballot, and that nobody won. Similarly, in 1964, after LBJ signed parts of the Civil Rights Act into law, MS swung wildly against the Democratic Party and gave Barry Goldwater (R) a landslide win, although Goldwater lost in one of the worst national Republican landslide losses in our electoral history.

The last time a Democrat won this state two times in a row was with Adlai E. Stevenson III, in 1952 and 1956, respectively. That's how far back in history you have to go to call this state a "Democratic" state.

You can see the complete electoral history of Mississippi in numbers here:

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/compare.php?year=2012&fips=28&f=1&off=0&elect=0&type=state

Since 1984, in every two-man race (1984, 1988, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012), the GOP candidate has easily won this state with a double-digit margin. It is also interesting to note that in 1992, George H. W.Bush (41) did better in MS than Bob Dole did in 1996, in spite of the fact the Independent Ross Perot, who was on the ballot in both 1992 and 1996, did considerably better in 1992. You would think that with an Independent candidate getting 18.91% of the national vote in 1992 but only 8.90% in 1996, that the Republican would do BETTER in MS in '96 than was the case in '92.

George W. Bush (43) is the only Republican in history to win MS two times in a row with double-digit margins.

So, I think it is fair to say that Mississippi is considered a core GOP state on the national level these days, also mostly at the state level, and is considered a locked-in element in their electoral column, one they should not have to worry about.

Now, President Obama slightly improved his statistic in Mississippi in 2012 over 2008: he lost MS by -13.17% to John McCain in 2008 and by -11.50% to Mitt Romney in 2012, a "swing" of +1.67 toward the Democratic Party. But a landslide win is a landslide win is a landslide win, and Romney easily and impressively won this state. It was never in doubt, ever.

Sometimes, people complain because MS is not called immediately on election night for the GOP candidate, but that has nothing to do with the networks: Mississippi is notorious for getting it's first tabulations in very late to AP. In the last 6 election cycles, MS was called immediately in only two of them:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...emExbW96SW1tZlNMdktyMmYweEE&usp=sharing#gid=1

And going back even farther, to 1976, of the last 10 cycles, MS has only been called immediately in 3 of those 10 cycles: 1984, 2000 and 2012.

FACIT: Mississippi is a state that Hillary Cllinton (D) should be losing by at least 10 points, to any and all potential GOP candidates. The fact that she is actually tied with a GOPer, within the MoE behind two other GOPers and the strongest potential GOP candidate only gets to +7 over her is an exceedingly bad sign for the GOP. And the fact that her standing in this state has improved over the last PPP (D) poll, just as it has in neighboring Louisiana, tells me that a Hillary Clinton candidacy could very well expand the Democratic electoral map throughout the country.

Now, my complaint about this is that we have only seen polling from one pollster, which makes the polling "DNA" too thin for my taste, but there is nothing keeping a pollster like Rasmussen or Insider Advantage or WAA from also polling Mississippi. I mean, the Cochran-McDaniels GOP nomination race was in the news for all to see.

As more polling data for Mississippi comes in, I will add it to this thread.

:)

• Banned
A friendly shout out to some folks who may really enjoy the information in the OP:
[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION] [MENTION=45886]Mad_Cabbie[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=37250]aaronleland[/MENTION] [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] [MENTION=30999]daws101[/MENTION] [MENTION=46449]Delta4Embassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=33449]BreezeWood[/MENTION] [MENTION=46750]Knightfall[/MENTION] [MENTION=20450]MarcATL[/MENTION] [MENTION=20594]Mr Clean[/MENTION] [MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION] [MENTION=45320]Nyvin[/MENTION] [MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] [MENTION=21524]oldfart[/MENTION] [MENTION=46193]Thx[/MENTION] [MENTION=20614]candycorn[/MENTION] [MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION] [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION] [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] [MENTION=31057]JoeB131[/MENTION] [MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION] [MENTION=22983]Flopper[/MENTION] [MENTION=46136]dreolin[/MENTION] [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION] [MENTION=48060]guno[/MENTION] [MENTION=42946]Howey[/MENTION] [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=48010]Machaut[/MENTION] [MENTION=39530]AceRothstein[/MENTION] [MENTION=25493]kiwiman127[/MENTION] [MENTION=42949]bendog[/MENTION] [MENTION=49463]PoliticalTorch[/MENTION] [MENTION=39852]TheOldSchool[/MENTION] [MENTION=45739]Jughead[/MENTION] [MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION]

Anyone who doesn't want to be on this occasional mention list: just let me know, I will drop the name immediately. If you want onto the list, just let me know. I really am trying to make this a totally non-partisan list.

Thanks,

-Stat

PS: Jughead, I just added you, realizing what an unbelievably level-headed guy you are, and I bet you could also get interested in this stuff and contribute some nice input. Hope you don't mind. If you don't like the idea, please let me know.

CrusaderFrank: I don't have you on a list yet, but if you like the idea, just let me know. The idea is just to make it easier for people who don't have a lot of time in the day to see that some new election data is out there. That's how I look at mention lists.

Folks, please do not quote this posting, otherwise, you send out the mention list again. Thanks.

MS.jpg

Partly because it's a neigboring state to Louisiana (which I just analysed some days ago), but also party because the numbers are indeed telling, I am starting the statistical baseline for Mississippi now, going into 2016.

PPP (D), just put out a new poll from Mississippi, with matchups between Hillary Clinton (D) and the prospective GOP field. This is the second poll of Mississippi vis-a-vis the 2016 race.

Now, that may sound unimportant until you realize that there was not even one single poll of Mississippi (Obama vs. Romney) taken in 2012. Mississippi was one of four states that was never polled vis-a-vis the 2012 election. Mississippi was polled 12 times in the 2008 (Obama vs. McCain) election. More about these details later.

Since the first 2016 poll of Mississippi is also a PPP (D) poll, we can make a direct comparison in most cases.

691 RV, MoE = +/-3.7

The numerical values in parentheses are from the last PPP (D), where applicable, for comparison purposes. Italics = tie values.

Rand Paul (R) 45 (46)

Jeb Bush (R) 47 (50)

Ted Cruz (R) 44 (47)

Hillary Clinton (D) 42
Mike Huckabee (R) 49

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Huckabee (R), a Southerner (Arkansas) and evangelical Christian, does the best against Hillary, with a solid +7. Jeb Bush (R), also a Southerner (Florida) does second best, with +5. And those two margins are outside of the margin of error.

Ted Cruz (R), also a Southerner (Texas), is tied with Hillary. That is a shocker. In all of the polling from Mississippi in 2008, the WORST that John McCain did was +6 over Obama. The final polling average in MS for 2008 was: McCain +10.50 (McCain won by +13.17% in that year).

Chris Christie (R) (New Jersey) leads Hillary by +3, Rand Paul (R), a Southerner (Kentucky), leads Hillary by +2. So, the Cruz/Hillary tie and these two margins are all well within the MoE.

None of the GOP candidates gets to the 50 mark in a state where a GOP candidate should get about 56% or more of the vote on election night.

Now, I am not saying that Hillary Clinton will win Mississippi, but the numbers are already showing the race to be competitive, which is is an exceedingly bad sign for the GOP. The last time a Democrat lost Mississipi by less than 10 points (1996: Dole +5.13%), that Democrat, Bill Clinton, won nationally by +8.52%. Margins do matter, including in states where the national winner lost, according to the principle of:

At the end of 2011, I put out 50 state "bios". I do this one year before the next General election (also did it in late 2007), so I will be doing it again in 2015.

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: Rank 39 / 13: Mississippi

You might really enjoy reading the long summary of the report; it shows what a very turbulent electoral history this state has had.

But just to remind, and in a nutshell: the last time a Democrat won this state on the national level was Jimmy Carter, a southern Democrat, in 1976, and he barely carried the state, with +1.88%. MS was first called for Carter at about 3 am on election night going into the next day, and, depending on which station you may have been watching, with Ohio, put Carter over the top.

Both times, as a "States Rights" 3rd party candidate was on the national ballot (Strom Thurmond 1948 / George Wallace 1968), Mississippi went for the 3rd party candidate.

And in 1960, Mississippians were so pissed off over Kennedy's stance on Civil Rights that that state cast it's electors for NOBODY, because Mississipians placed "unpledged electors" on the ballot, and that nobody won. Similarly, in 1964, after LBJ signed parts of the Civil Rights Act into law, MS swung wildly against the Democratic Party and gave Barry Goldwater (R) a landslide win, although Goldwater lost in one of the worst national Republican landslide losses in our electoral history.

The last time a Democrat won this state two times in a row was with Adlai E. Stevenson III, in 1952 and 1956, respectively. That's how far back in history you have to go to call this state a "Democratic" state.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/compare.php?year=2012&fips=28&f=1&off=0&elect=0&type=state

Since 1984, in every two-man race (1984, 1988, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012), the GOP candidate has easily won this state with a double-digit margin. It is also interesting to note that in 1992, George H. W.Bush (41) did better in MS than Bob Dole did in 1996, in spite of the fact the Independent Ross Perot, who was on the ballot in both 1992 and 1996, did considerably better in 1992. You would think that with an Independent candidate getting 18.91% of the national vote in 1992 but only 8.90% in 1996, that the Republican would do BETTER in MS in '96 than was the case in '92.

George W. Bush (43) is the only Republican in history to win MS two times in a row with double-digit margins.

So, I think it is fair to say that Mississippi is considered a core GOP state on the national level these days, also mostly at the state level, and is considered a locked-in element in their electoral column, one they should not have to worry about.

Now, President Obama slightly improved his statistic in Mississippi in 2012 over 2008: he lost MS by -13.17% to John McCain in 2008 and by -11.50% to Mitt Romney in 2012, a "swing" of +1.67 toward the Democratic Party. But a landslide win is a landslide win is a landslide win, and Romney easily and impressively won this state. It was never in doubt, ever.

Sometimes, people complain because MS is not called immediately on election night for the GOP candidate, but that has nothing to do with the networks: Mississippi is notorious for getting it's first tabulations in very late to AP. In the last 6 election cycles, MS was called immediately in only two of them:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...emExbW96SW1tZlNMdktyMmYweEE&usp=sharing#gid=1

And going back even farther, to 1976, of the last 10 cycles, MS has only been called immediately in 3 of those 10 cycles: 1984, 2000 and 2012.

FACIT: Mississippi is a state that Hillary Cllinton (D) should be losing by at least 10 points, to any and all potential GOP candidates. The fact that she is actually tied with a GOPer, within the MoE behind two other GOPers and the strongest potential GOP candidate only gets to +7 over her is an exceedingly bad sign for the GOP. And the fact that her standing in this state has improved over the last PPP (D) poll, just as it has in neighboring Louisiana, tells me that a Hillary Clinton candidacy could very well expand the Democratic electoral map throughout the country.

Now, my complaint about this is that we have only seen polling from one pollster, which makes the polling "DNA" too thin for my taste, but there is nothing keeping a pollster like Rasmussen or Insider Advantage or WAA from also polling Mississippi. I mean, the Cochran-McDaniels GOP nomination race was in the news for all to see.

When campaigning starts the polling will be what is expected.

• Banned
MS.jpg

691 RV, MoE = +/-3.7

Rand Paul (R) 45 (46)

Jeb Bush (R) 47 (50)

Ted Cruz (R) 44 (47)

Hillary Clinton (D) 42
Mike Huckabee (R) 49

When campaigning starts the polling will be what is expected.

Which is EXACTLY why it is good to start a baseline now, for if that happens, we can prove it. And if it doesn't happen, it means that the state really would be competitive.

It's that simple, really.

Glad you stopped by. Thanks for the input.

Mississippi is an interesting state. It has an African American population just under 40%. That does not explain though why Hillary's popularity may have gone up since the last poll. Most African Americans do indeed vote Democrat ... to a certain point. In red states like Mississippi, because it is part of the deep south, it is one of the more conservative states. A good portion of conservative minded African Americans in Mississippi are Republicans.

For instance in 2012, in Sunflower County Mississippi which is 71 percent black, Romney won the county by over 16 percent. In Hinds County which is 69% black, home of the state capital, Jackson, Romney won by 13.5 percent. It's also interesting to note that in 2012 black voter turnout was higher than white voter turnout.

Mississippi is an interesting state. It has an African American population just under 40%. That does not explain though why Hillary's popularity may have gone up since the last poll. Most African Americans do indeed vote Democrat ... to a certain point. In red states like Mississippi, because it is part of the deep south, it is one of the more conservative states. A good portion of conservative minded African Americans in Mississippi are Republicans.

For instance in 2012, in Sunflower County Mississippi which is 71 percent black, Romney won the county by over 16 percent. In Hinds County which is 69% black, home of the state capital, Jackson, Romney won by 13.5 percent. It's also interesting to note that in 2012 black voter turnout was higher than white voter turnout.

Perhaps they have learned to cheat really well in Mississippi!

I was really hoping that someone would point that out. Yes, there are black Conservatives, and apparently, some of them live in Mississippi. Good for them.
If I recally, MS is 36% black.

Diversity in thought is good for us all.

Thanks, [MENTION=45739]Jughead[/MENTION]!

Another atempt to make comparing apples and oranges relevant.

At least you're persistant.

Bravo.

:eusa_clap:

Persistent at starting a data-baseline. And when Hillary wins the nomination and then the election in 2016, I can then point out all these baselines to you..... consider yourself lucky, oh Samson, that I am indeed so persistent.

:D

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

-Calvin Coolidge

:thup:

Or, were you perhaps talking to Rightwinger??

:razz:

Another atempt to make comparing apples and oranges relevant.

At least you're persistant.

Bravo.

:eusa_clap:

Persistent at starting a data-baseline. And when Hillary wins the nomination and then the election in 2016, I can then point out all these baselines to you..... consider yourself lucky, oh Samson, that I am indeed so persistent.

:D

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

-Calvin Coolidge

:thup:

Or, were you perhaps talking to Rightwinger??

:razz:
That's what I suspected ... ?

Hillary is a lock

Looks like the Republicans will nominate Putin

Hillary is a lock to find something else to do when the Dems pick Liz Warren or Duval Patrick

I think Putin shooting down that airline yesterday will lock the GOP nomination in 2016. Republicans love "strong leaders"
Amazing that you keep getting it so wrong. We noticed that Putin loves the nation he leads and wants to make it better while Obama wants to transform the nation he leads in to poverty and weakness

Progressives: only group that ever lost a game of rock, paper scissors to a box of rocks

Forum List

Back