Croc Hunter holds baby

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lilcountriegal, Jan 5, 2004.

1. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I thought I'd make a new topic on this because I saw an interview with him on the Today Show this morning on this.

I agree that it is comparable to whole Michael Jackson dangle incident. He's pretty popular over here in the U.S. I got the feeling from the part of the interview that I saw that he doesnt really see anything wrong with what he did, but what he's sorry for is basically the reaction.

Like I said... I like him, but I tend to agree with all the other critics: what he did was child abuse.

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    my opinion, Irwin has been working with crocs the whole of his life and murray (the croc in question) for about 13 years. He knows that croc better than any of the others in the zoo. Unlike wacko jackson, who has little experience dangling anything off a balcony, what irwin did may seem reckless but I feel he was in more control of that situation than anyone else could possibly have been.

While I certainly wouldn't have allowed my child to be in there with him I feel that irwin knew what he was doing and that it presented little, if any, danger to his son.

3. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Actually DK, your post made me sit back and think. Admittedly, I was not aware that this croc was one that Steve Irwin works with, and has for 13 years. (I only caught the front portion of the interview this morning before I had to leave for work)

However, I still stand by my original opinion, but less enthusiastically. Animals just aren't predictable enough (look at Sigfried & Roy... they have worked with that tiger for years ). You can never assume how any animal will react, domestic or otherwise.

I'll ease up on the "child abuse" conclusion and leave it at "gross stupidity". If he wants to raise his numbers or do a publicity stunt, dangle yourself naked in front of a croc, dont use an infant.

Like I said... I like him. I've always watch Croc Hunter. This was just a stupid, stupid, stupid idea.

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I can certainly agree with the 'gross stupidity' arena. It shouldn't matter how much of an expert anybody is with anything, you shouldn't subject your one month old to that kind of potential danger.

On the matter of the Sigfried and Roy portion. One of the most important differences between a trained tiger for a show and the crocs in the australian zoo is the crocs aren't trained. With the exception of the feeding in captivity, those crocs are left as much alone and untrained as possible. Most likely because a crocodile is much too primitive in its mindset to be trainable but also because thats how the australian zoo likes to maintain it, therefore, you can expect the basic primordial instincts from the croc every single time. With the tiger show though, trained show animals are far too unpredictable to be safe, in my opinion. You expect a trained response and could get an instinctual attack.

5. Jackass

Jackass Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I agree with you both. I dont think it was child abuse..just stupid.

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I side with Steve Irwin on this one. He's lived this life and his child probably will too. I'm not in a position to tell him how to properly act around crocodiles. What might seem crazy and careless to us is part of his everyday life.

Would I do something like that with my child? Absolutely not. But I think Steve knows what is best for his child and the parenting should be left up to him.

7. Graeme Kessey

Graeme Kessey Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish this rational thinking could come "Down Under" the powers that be want to hang Steve out to dry. Child protection officers giving advice when they don't even have children makes ya laugh. So called "experts" waffling on for 5mins of fame,God save us all from do-gooders who want to regulate our lives.
    All he is guilty of is a lack of judgement.

Cheers.

8. Jackass

Jackass Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have to disagree Jim. All parents "know" whats best for their child but they are not always right. Just look at the couple who were feeding their infant the vegetarian diet. The kid almost died. They thought it was right, but they were very wrong.

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Then who should decide what is right and wrong for a child? Until a law is broken I don't think it should be of anyone elses concern.

Parenting is a sticky subject with me. I don't want anyone ever telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my son. If I ask for advice, great! If I don't, it's my business how my son gets raised.

There will be plenty of parents that would disagree with having my son play football. Should I listen to them and restrict his activities even though I played contact sports my entire life?

What if I'm at the park in the snow and my son doesn't have gloves on, should I have other parents scolding me?

Soon people will tell me junk food is dangerous for my son and they'll call the police on me if I take him to McDonalds.

I just don't think we can impose what 'we' think is right and wrong on other parents.

10. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    It probably wasn't the best idea for Irwin to do that in public, he should have known it would freak some people out.
    I do wonder though, would this be such a story if Michael Jackson hadn't dangled his baby over a balcony? The media is really comparing the two, Irwin is no sicko like Jackson.