Critics Blast Obama's Scheduled Notre Dame Commencement Address

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Nearly 65,000 people have signed an online petition protesting President Obama's scheduled May 17 commencement address at the University of Notre Dame, saying the president's views on abortion and stem cell research "directly contradict" Roman Catholic teachings.

"It is an outrage and a scandal that 'Our Lady's University,' one of the premier Catholic universities in the United States, would bestow such an honor on President Obama given his clear support for policies and laws that directly contradict fundamental Catholic teachings on life and marriage," the petition at notredamescandal.com reads.

The Cardinal Newman Society, an advocacy group for strengthening ideals at the nation's 224 Catholic colleges and universities, created the Web site to end what it calls the "travesty" of Obama's selection. The petition, which had garnered 64,051 signatures as of midday Tuesday, asserts that thousands of other "accomplished leaders" in business, law or education would have been more appropriate selections. The group says it is sending the list to an independent firm Wednesday to ensure that there are no duplicate names

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=20

The previous string was so long I thought I would resynch.
___
Norris is a generally well-meaning guy. And if he is going to back something in public, given who he is in the public eye, what else would one expect him to talk about?

That said, he does not strike me as one who enjoys being out of the spotlight. In that respect he is part of an army of Hollywood types with the same problem. I do not take any of them or anything they say or do seriously.

If there is going to be any kind of uprising (remember there was one in the 60's), it will happen with or without Norris. Talk and action around this was building long before The Prophet. Political ideology has had little to do with it. It is a conflict of values that has been building for years. Now this has been compounded by an economic crisis that Washington was clearly a big part of.

Any commencement he may give will be in the form of a campaign speech.

Think he could do it without a teleprompter?

Oh yes, like the special olympics insult and of course cackling through a serious interview on 60 minutes about a serious subject on the economy, he's a real natural. He's a good teleprompter reader and nothing more.

Forum List

Back