Obama moves to secure the border

Peejay

Rookie
Feb 11, 2009
SC
President Obama has committed a substantial amount of resources to securing the Mexican border.

To help further strengthen the U.S. side of the border, the administration also plans to triple the number of Department of Homeland Security intelligence analysts dedicated to stopping Mexican-related violence.

It also will increase the number of immigration officials working in Mexico, double the number of "violent criminal alien" teams on the border, strengthen the presence of border canine units and quadruple the number of border liaison officers working with Mexican law enforcement.

It also will make an additional $59 million in federal funds available to support state, local and tribal border law enforcement operations.

The plan commits $700 million to bolster Mexican law enforcement and crime prevention efforts. The funds will provide, among other things, five new helicopters to increase mobility for the Mexican army and air force as well as new surveillance aircraft for the Mexican navy.

The new federal plan, developed by the departments of Justice and Homeland Security, calls for doubling the number of border security task force teams as well as moving a significant number of other federal agents, equipment and resources to the border. It also involves greater intelligence sharing aimed at cracking down on the flow of money and weapons into Mexico, which helps fuel the drug trade, senior administration officials said.

At the same time, more agents from the FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives will be deployed to the border region. The agents will be given updated equipment and surveillance technology to help track the movement of cash, drugs and weapons.

Obama to beef up Mexico border policy - CNN.com

Man, sounds like a really comprehensive plan to secure the border. Exactly what people have been screaming for on this issue.

Cue the chorus of "blindly hate Obama, blindly hate Obama, he's doing exaclty what we asked for but blindly hate Obama"

President Obama has committed a substantial amount of resources to securing the Mexican border.

To help further strengthen the U.S. side of the border, the administration also plans to triple the number of Department of Homeland Security intelligence analysts dedicated to stopping Mexican-related violence.

It also will increase the number of immigration officials working in Mexico, double the number of "violent criminal alien" teams on the border, strengthen the presence of border canine units and quadruple the number of border liaison officers working with Mexican law enforcement.

It also will make an additional $59 million in federal funds available to support state, local and tribal border law enforcement operations.

The plan commits $700 million to bolster Mexican law enforcement and crime prevention efforts. The funds will provide, among other things, five new helicopters to increase mobility for the Mexican army and air force as well as new surveillance aircraft for the Mexican navy.

The new federal plan, developed by the departments of Justice and Homeland Security, calls for doubling the number of border security task force teams as well as moving a significant number of other federal agents, equipment and resources to the border. It also involves greater intelligence sharing aimed at cracking down on the flow of money and weapons into Mexico, which helps fuel the drug trade, senior administration officials said.

At the same time, more agents from the FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives will be deployed to the border region. The agents will be given updated equipment and surveillance technology to help track the movement of cash, drugs and weapons.

Man, sounds like a really comprehensive plan to secure the border. Exactly what people have been screaming for on this issue.

Cue the chorus of "blindly hate Obama, blindly hate Obama, he's doing exaclty what we asked for but blindly hate Obama"

Why? pertains to the bolded.

Foot soldiers for either party's ideology are just that until they start to evaluate for themselves.

The Prophet's stated intentions about the border are a simple matter of doing what he supposed to be doing, and, satisfying a highly restless public with something else to think about.

We shall see how serious he really is. Under the circumstances he can use a misdirection so he may end up being quite serious. Frankly, I do not even trust the junior senator with this or anything else serious. As is said in the Army, the most dangerous thing is a second lieutantant with a screw driver.

Aren't the Mexican drug wars spilling over our borders?

Aren't the Mexican drug wars spilling over our borders?

that's a given,, but what jurisdiction do our immigration authorities have in Mexico. God knows they have zero authority here..

I got no clue, Willow. I'm thinking the idea is to help the Mexicans control/contain the crime before it crosses our borders.

I think the increased number of immigration officials in mexico is an attempt to encourage more people to take the legal route instead of the sneaking accross route. I have met several people that came from mexico, legally and illegally. All of them say that there is a "backlog" in the legal process to get into the US legally. If you reduce the number of people that come illegally by increasing the number that come legally, there will be less people trying to cross the border for the authorities on both sides to deal with.
When I lived near Sierra Vista, every night the desert was alive with people, like a busy city park. When the border patrol would get too hot on their trail they would set fires for a distraction.
Drive down and check for yourself. It is simply amazing how many footprints are in what looks like an empty desert. You will have to get out of the car and walk around to see them though.

I think the increased number of immigration officials in mexico is an attempt to encourage more people to take the legal route instead of the sneaking accross route. I have met several people that came from mexico, legally and illegally. All of them say that there is a "backlog" in the legal process to get into the US legally. If you reduce the number of people that come illegally by increasing the number that come legally, there will be less people trying to cross the border for the authorities on both sides to deal with. When I lived near Sierra Vista, every night the desert was alive with people, like a busy city park. When the border patrol would get too hot on their trail they would set fires for a distraction.
Drive down and check for yourself. It is simply amazing how many footprints are in what looks like an empty desert. You will have to get out of the car and walk around to see them though.

so what number would you arrive at to keep anybody from crossing illegally?? doyathink?

I don't arrive at any number. I think that this is the govt. reason that you were asking about though. I think the govt wants to make it easier to come legally, and the govt. thinks that will reduce the number of illegals.
I don't think myself it will work quite like the govt. thinks it will, but then that isn't what I was trying to say.

How long before one or more of our guys are killed like their police on the Mexico side?

I don't arrive at any number. I think that this is the govt. reason that you were asking about though. I think the govt wants to make it easier to come legally, and the govt. thinks that will reduce the number of illegals.
I don't think myself it will work quite like the govt. thinks it will, but then that isn't what I was trying to say.

I'm still very confused as to what role our immigration officials will play on the Mexican side of the border?????

We are supposedly giving money to Mexico so that THEIR immigration officials will increase in number and in theory make it easier for mexican citizens to apply for and make a legal entry.
We do have officials in mexico, but they work at the consulate offices in that country.
Just like when you leave the USA, you have to apply to YOUR govt to leave before you can apply to THE OTHER country for entry.

If Obama were truly serious about slowing down the traffic at the border, he would have made sure that E-Verify was included in the stimulus bill. This is simply more smoke and mirrors.

When I lived near Sierra Vista, every night the desert was alive with people, like a busy city park. When the border patrol would get too hot on their trail they would set fires for a distraction.
HaHa......your buddies are fucking with you Slack......its the old PEOPLE IN THE DESERT gag.....been around for years.....looked pretty damned real though.....did N IT?.....QUIT smoking the reef.....you will find out that those people in the desert at night......its called a midnight SWAP MEET......you lived by the MEXICAN border......Mexicans LIKE swap meets....EVEN at 12:A M......they are REALLY big on yard sales,but thats another story........PEENCHY......COMPRENDE........

Forum List

Back