Crate training

I've been feeding and treating her inside the crate, with the door open. She's very food oriented so I know that she has to have pleasant connotations to the crate if she gets food there. Also putting her in, then leaving the room...she always will bark but when she stops and is quiet I let her out. I swear I already see a difference. Tomorrow we're upping the stakes a little...three two hour stretches in the crate. It's kind of fast, but we are dealing with a couple of time issues....we're traveling for thanksgiving, plus I don't want to live in a room that smells worse than a kennel (because she pees on the carpet). We'll see how it goes.

It sounds like you're doing it exactly the right way, increasing the duration. One thing I've heard that makes a good crate treat is frozen stuffed kongs - takes time to clean them out and they only get it in the crate :)
Yes that's next on the list. For both pups.

I've been feeding and treating her inside the crate, with the door open. She's very food oriented so I know that she has to have pleasant connotations to the crate if she gets food there. Also putting her in, then leaving the room...she always will bark but when she stops and is quiet I let her out. I swear I already see a difference. Tomorrow we're upping the stakes a little...three two hour stretches in the crate. It's kind of fast, but we are dealing with a couple of time issues....we're traveling for thanksgiving, plus I don't want to live in a room that smells worse than a kennel (because she pees on the carpet). We'll see how it goes.

It sounds like you're doing it exactly the right way, increasing the duration. One thing I've heard that makes a good crate treat is frozen stuffed kongs - takes time to clean them out and they only get it in the crate :)

I love your Pit, such a character! My friend, who I'm fostering Dash for, has an all breed rescue but she has a soft spot for Pit's and her's are awesome temperment, if I don't keep Dash, my next foster might be Dylon, one of her Pits. Or...maybe I'll foster him anyway if she still has him in the summer :)

I love your Pit, such a character! My friend, who I'm fostering Dash for, has an all breed rescue but she has a soft spot for Pit's and her's are awesome temperment, if I don't keep Dash, my next foster might be Dylon, one of her Pits. Or...maybe I'll foster him anyway if she still has him in the summer :)
they are amazing....another surprise for me. Such good temperaments, so clever.

I don't believe in crating a dog.

Just sayin'.

Not sure what there is to "believe in" or "not believe in". It's not religion. It's a scientific fact that canines are instinctively drawn to having dens, and proper crate training merely takes advantage of those instincts.

I don't believe in mylo pissing and crapping on the floor 15x a day and attacking you children and other animals. I am the end of the road for her. There is no reason she can't chill in a crate when I'm out or we have company. The alternative for her is death. Nobody else will adopt her. Even if they did, it would break her heart.

I agree.

You're protecting her from herself and quite likely reducing the anxiety she has about being in situations that she can't handle and her behavior is telling you that.

If a dog doesn't need a crate, that is wonderful - but that isn't always the case and it's not cruel when used properly. I keep finding dogs in crates, even when the door is open...cats too...sometimes both...

My dogs have all been crate-trained, and once trained, have used it as their own comfy safe space. I figure they need privacy once in a while, just like we humans do.

Just sayin'.

Not sure what there is to "believe in" or "not believe in". It's not religion. It's a scientific fact that canines are instinctively drawn to having dens, and proper crate training merely takes advantage of those instincts.
I am not arguing this. Period. I don't believe in crating a dog any more than I believe in tying one up in the back yard with its own dog house.
That is my personal views. Period. You can argue it til the cows come home and it will never change my views. My dog(s) have their den. Moki likes being under daddys bed, karma likes being ON my bed.

End of story.

Just sayin'.

I am not arguing this. Period. I don't believe in crating a dog any more than I believe in tying one up in the back yard with its own dog house.
That is my personal views. Period. You can argue it til the cows come home and it will never change my views. My dog(s) have their den. Moki likes being under daddys bed, karma likes being ON my bed.

End of story.
Good for them.

I can't keep mylo if she continues to piss and shit all over the bedroom floor. If I give her away, she's a dead dog.

Her den is a crate, and it is saving her life.

Just sayin'.

End of story.
Good for them.

I can't keep mylo if she continues to piss and shit all over the bedroom floor. If I give her away, she's a dead dog.

Her den is a crate, and it is saving her life.
And thats all that matters. Gotta do what ya gotta do for the furkid. I am not dissing anyone that crates. Just saying I won't. Unless that situation happened with me, then I probably would.

My dogs are all crate trained.

I leave the doors open and the dogs go in and out all day. Locking them in is nothing to them. They treat the crate like a den.

Crates are wonderful. They save your carpeting, doors and hardwood floors.

You should see my GSD get in the BC crate. She wobbled the whole thing as she turns around in it. She then lays down and is completely happy.

If you show dogs crates are a must. The crates now are made out of cloth and nylon. they are light and not problem to set up. Way different than the old metal and Vari crates. And any well trained dog has no problem staying in one,

I wonder if people jail would work better if you let them out everyday until they changed behavior?

Well she's doing okay. She still whines and barks if she's in the crate and I'm in the house which is a pain in the ass because the reason I need her crate trained is so that I can put her up when my mother comes to visit with her two antique poodles. I'm not having much luck getting her to be quiet.

I worked a few minutes with her this morning, trying to teach her to jump through my arms. Not super successful so far, she's soooo stubborn, makes me insane. She jumps all OVER the place until she thinks you might want her to, then she sulls up.

My dogs are all crate trained.

I leave the doors open and the dogs go in and out all day. Locking them in is nothing to them. They treat the crate like a den.

Crates are wonderful. They save your carpeting, doors and hardwood floors.

You should see my GSD get in the BC crate. She wobbled the whole thing as she turns around in it. She then lays down and is completely happy.

If you show dogs crates are a must. The crates now are made out of cloth and nylon. they are light and not problem to set up. Way different than the old metal and Vari crates. And any well trained dog has no problem staying in one,

It's also an extremely good idea should you ever need to travel with your dog. It makes the entire process easier and less stressful on the dog if the crate is already something he's familiar and comfortable with, rather than just another source of fear and uncertainty.

I wonder if people jail would work better if you let them out everyday until they changed behavior?

Dogs are better creatures at heart than humans are.

No, I expect people to act humanely, dogs as animals. When a dog acts humanely and a human as an animal, that is where we are humbled.

I think people SHOULD act humanely. I have too much experience of humans to EXPECT it.

Oh I get disappointed, but optimism is my policy. May your week ahead be filled with unexpected kind acts.

Well she's doing okay. She still whines and barks if she's in the crate and I'm in the house which is a pain in the ass because the reason I need her crate trained is so that I can put her up when my mother comes to visit with her two antique poodles. I'm not having much luck getting her to be quiet.

I worked a few minutes with her this morning, trying to teach her to jump through my arms. Not super successful so far, she's soooo stubborn, makes me insane. She jumps all OVER the place until she thinks you might want her to, then she sulls up.

Try teaching her to jump over a stick first. I did that with Rue:
I set up a jump (a pole on two supports like a couple of books - sat next to it, and used a treat to lure him over each way, telling him "hup" - that taught him the cue.
Then I transitioned to a stick I'm holding in one hand, teaching her to jump over that (he had a little trouble so I made it easier by first positioning the stick against a wall so he couldn't go around it).
Then made it my arm instead of a stick.
Then, I brought the other arm over to make a circle.
Then, I did it standing up.

:)

No, I expect people to act humanely, dogs as animals. When a dog acts humanely and a human as an animal, that is where we are humbled.

I think people SHOULD act humanely. I have too much experience of humans to EXPECT it.

Oh I get disappointed, but optimism is my policy. May your week ahead be filled with unexpected kind acts.

The nice thing about expecting the worst of humanity is that all your surprises are pleasant.

The nice thing about expecting the worst of humanity is that all your surprises are pleasant.

You need to follow me around more. :)

Our Border Collie/Cattle Dog Mix has been in her crate every night since we brought her home at six weeks. We have a similar crate in both cars and that is how she travels. She is now 2 yrs + 8 months.

The crate to her is her sanctuary. Every evening between 9 and 10 she goes to the outside door, waits to go outside and do her business, and then goes directly to her crate. We don't need to latch it, she sleeps (I guess) from the time she tells us it's her time to pee and sleep, until the morning.

We don't latch the crate in case of a fire, since we allow her to sleep there in our living room. Our last dog slept outside in the kennel on our side yard, a shelter our current dog uses when we leave her to go away for several hours. She also has a crate and shelter there too.

Forum List

Back