Crate training

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
WP_20151106_001.jpg
WP_20151106_002.jpg

I have had Mylo for about nine years, and she was two when I got her. She is very dominant and a tad aggressive so we spend a lot of energy keeping her and everybody else as safe as possible. She also poops and pees indiscriminately the minute she is alone.

She has always been so terrible about crating that I just never utilize it. She starts barking, scratching, whining, peeing, biting at the cage the minute she goes in and does not stop.

It never occurred to me to just crate train her. Instead of thinking she needed trained, I assumed it wouldn't work, or had been tried and failed.

I feel like an idiot!!! I've been dealing with her foibles for years and it never occurred to me to just train her.

I started yesterday...life is already easier. She went in on her own this am. I left her in while I did little things like make coffee and run laundry. I hope that soon I can crate her when I'm out if the house, when we travel to visit family, or when we have company. What that will mean for Mylo is her level of isolation will decrease. If she's crated she can at least be in the same room with everybody. Now she has to be put away because she bites and fights.

I had problems with a dog like that also....I trained him with a switch and voice commands...then reward with a treat for good behavior...

I believe there are bigger issues at play. I tried crating my Rat Terrier as a puppy, he's the strongest willed/stubborn creature on Earth. It didn't last a night. I let him out and he hopped in bed with me. He had a few potty problems at first but dogs quickly learn the home is not where to do their business.

My guess is she has anxiety issues, maybe from not enough exercise? You should also praise them when doing the duty outdoors but at 9 she probably knows what she's supposed to do.

View attachment 54030 View attachment 54031

I have had Mylo for about nine years, and she was two when I got her. She is very dominant and a tad aggressive so we spend a lot of energy keeping her and everybody else as safe as possible. She also poops and pees indiscriminately the minute she is alone.

She has always been so terrible about crating that I just never utilize it. She starts barking, scratching, whining, peeing, biting at the cage the minute she goes in and does not stop.

It never occurred to me to just crate train her. Instead of thinking she needed trained, I assumed it wouldn't work, or had been tried and failed.

I feel like an idiot!!! I've been dealing with her foibles for years and it never occurred to me to just train her.

I started yesterday...life is already easier. She went in on her own this am. I left her in while I did little things like make coffee and run laundry. I hope that soon I can crate her when I'm out if the house, when we travel to visit family, or when we have company. What that will mean for Mylo is her level of isolation will decrease. If she's crated she can at least be in the same room with everybody. Now she has to be put away because she bites and fights.

That dog looks miserable in that crate.

Mylo is a huge tangled ball of issues, most of which have to do with her breeding. Super intense prey drive, super dominant, moderately aggressive. Her reaction to the CRATE was anxiety driven, but we're dealing with that now. She could run all day...the more she exercises the higher her behavior amps up. Ultimately, she's a hard core hunting dog that doesn't hunt. Our lives will be improved if she can be crated. For one thing, I won't want to kill her because she craps on the carpet if she's left alone for two minutes (also a dominance based issue).

Mylo is a huge tangled ball of issues, most of which have to do with her breeding. Super intense prey drive, super dominant, moderately aggressive. Her reaction to the CRATE was anxiety driven, but we're dealing with that now. She could run all day...the more she exercises the higher her behavior amps up. Ultimately, she's a hard core hunting dog that doesn't hunt. Our lives will be improved if she can be crated. For one thing, I won't want to kill her because she craps on the carpet if she's left alone for two minutes (also a dominance based issue).
Time to call Caesar Milan.

We're having to re-train our Golden Retriever, Malcolm. No idea what his actual problem is, but ever since we moved to this apartment, he's gotten it into his head that he needs to poop and pee in the house. I think it's because he's used to being let out into the backyard to run free while doing his business, and now he has to be walked on a leash.

He's driving me crazy. We take him out of the crate, and he'll try to relieve himself right there while we're clipping the leash on. We walk him, he does his business all over the designated area, and then as soon as he comes back inside, he'll go right there in the entry hall. It's like he's saving some of it up for when he comes back inside.

Looks like a small crate for that size dog....and needs more padding...we use old towels, t-shirts etc.
Think of a den here as if this was a wild dog. That crate is actually a tad too big. It does need some padding at the bottom. It should be like an indoor dog house and covered with a towel for privacy.

It also will mean I can leave my bedroom door open and move around the house without constantly keeping tabs on her. She's not the sort of dog you can just relax around if there are kids or other digs in the vicinity. You have to monitor her, or someone will get bit.

Teach her to play fetch. Looks like a Jack Russell? They have intense prey drives.

Looks like a small crate for that size dog....and needs more padding...we use old towels, t-shirts etc.
Think of a den here as if this was a wild dog. That crate is actually a tad too big. It does need some padding at the bottom. It should be like an indoor dog house and covered with a towel for privacy.

True. Malcolm has an enclosed crate which can also be used as a travel container, should he ever have to go on a plane. It has small, grill-covered windows on the sides and a grill door, and faces out into the room so that he can see and interact with his people and not feel alone.

When he's behaving himself, we leave the door open and he can come and go freely as he feels the need to be "in his den".

We're having to re-train our Golden Retriever, Malcolm. No idea what his actual problem is, but ever since we moved to this apartment, he's gotten it into his head that he needs to poop and pee in the house. I think it's because he's used to being let out into the backyard to run free while doing his business, and now he has to be walked on a leash.

He's driving me crazy. We take him out of the crate, and he'll try to relieve himself right there while we're clipping the leash on. We walk him, he does his business all over the designated area, and then as soon as he comes back inside, he'll go right there in the entry hall. It's like he's saving some of it up for when he comes back inside.
That's so weird...I have a friend dealing with that issue...they have a young dog that pees whenever they leash, pet or bend over him. His is a submissive thing. Mylos is dominance. She gets out plenty. After nine years I'm done, I don't like it when I find myself fantasizing about her death.

It also will mean I can leave my bedroom door open and move around the house without constantly keeping tabs on her. She's not the sort of dog you can just relax around if there are kids or other digs in the vicinity. You have to monitor her, or someone will get bit.
You need to put her down. Obviously she has genetic issues. Its that or you dont know how to train her.

That's not a crate. Its a cage. Seriously.

Because its open on all sides, you are actually increasing her anxiety. Get an enclosed crate where she can feel secure instead of feeling like a sitting duck.

Remember that, even dogs are domesticated, they still retain certain attributes of their wild cousins as well as other wild animals. You'll never see a wild animal laying down for a comfy snooze in the wide open spaces. Give her a cave and she'll be a lot calmer.

It also needs to be a tad bigger with more padding. If she is closer to one person in the household, toss in a piece of that person's dirty clothing. Give her enough material to let her nest. She needs to be able to rearrange the furniture to her own liking.

I would almost always go for a GSD size. If you can't afford one new, check thrift stores and yard sales. We just took two to our animal shelter and I'm sure we're not the only ones who have too man on hand.

As you train her, use a treat. When you tell her its time for her crate, toss the treat in first.

Keeping dogs in crates can be incredibly cruel but it can also be a form of comfort and shelter. It all depends on their human. Never use it as a form of punishment.

BTW - often, people will call a dog to them to punish them. Dumb. All that teaches is not to come when they're called. Dogs are pack animals and we are their pack. If you want to punish a dog, send them away from you. But not for long periods.

That's so weird...I have a friend dealing with that issue...they have a young dog that pees whenever they leash, pet or bend over him. His is a submissive thing. Mylos is dominance. She gets out plenty. After nine years I'm done, I don't like it when I find myself fantasizing about her death.

Well, Malcolm doesn't have submission issues. He likes his leash, because he knows it means he's going to be taken along to wherever his people are going, and he loves being with his people. It's specifically the apartment that's triggering the behavior.

It's a weird problem to have and difficult for me to relate to. Both of mine have the run of the house all the time. I leave sometimes for 8 or 9 hours and nothing has moved except occasionally a pillow has shifted. Is Mylo socialized with other dogs?

Forum List

Back