Crappy parent of scandalous cheerleader gets a fat check

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by glockmail, Jan 3, 2007.

1. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I’m in the wrong field. I need to become a school administrator and join a union. How else can you be an undisciplined parent, a crappy principal, and get a commendation and a fat check for it?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16441559/site/newsweek

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    This is sick, but as a teacher, I do understand how the administration could allow that to happen, to the detriment of the school.

3. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Yes, it is a field that appears to do nothing except ignore the needs of its clients while being gluttons at the public trough.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Non-teachers cannot imagine how far the administration might go to prevent a 'brouhaha'. It's sick and to the detriment of the kids. You all know the parents that cause it, stand up to them, because the admin. won't.

5. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I've got one in 7th and one in 9th. So far no problems. If I ever do I've always planned on making one phone call, then if that doesn't work going straight to the School Board. In NC the admin is all paid for by local funding, which is administered by the Board alone. And we've got some good conservatives on the Board.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Right attitude. I'm all for going to the teacher first, principal second, board after. Truth is, the parents tend to get their way with the principal, letting the teacher hand. Of course, the parents skip the teacher, since they already have heard the same in prior years. Your kids are in class with their kids...

7. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I'm not big on wasting my time with the chain of command. If I had been aware of this type of thing in my school I'd go over that principal in a minute.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well in all fairness, sometimes the skuttlebutt, leaves more than a bit to be desired. In most cases problems can be addressed with little fanfare and better for the child.

9. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Of course. None of my kids has had any problems, in fact we are very satisfied with the entire system, so I'd be willing to give anyone a fair shake. But I've been a public employee, and been around the block enough to now when I'm being given lip service. I also know that one bad mark on an employees record means more than years of good service, and I'd hold that against them in a minute if it meant the welfare of my child.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I believe parents are both the primary teachers and advocates for their children. It's both their duty and place. With that said, there are times for some to listen. If one teacher implies that your child is having learning or behavior issues, press for clarity and specific examples. When you are running into two or more, sit in class for at least 3 hours. See your child in those surroundings. It may open your eyes, to problems with school or your child or your discipline. If it's the later, it's most likely the teacher would gladly work with you. The other two are more difficult, but not insurmountable.