Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

I don't know for a fact whether Joe was caught "stealing" food five times or not - but I do know that Cracker Barrel has a proven history of discrimination. Joe said he offered to pay.

So if I come to your home, and walk out with a TV...... BUT THEN.... offer to pay for it.... It's not stealing?

Generally speaking, if you have to 'offer' to pay for something after you take it.... that's called stealing.

I don't know WHEN Joe offered to pay - or even if he did. However, if it was after the fact - that ain't cool.

I don't know for a fact whether Joe was caught "stealing" food five times or not - but I do know that Cracker Barrel has a proven history of discrimination. Joe said he offered to pay.

He should have paid first.

I'm no lawyer, but I sort of think that if I PAY for something THEN decide to "give it away" that's no one's business. I sort of have the feeling that this elderly man decided to "give it away" and then, when caught, offered to pay.

Dear Joe,

Please stop stealing shit and then cry about being fired.

You're making the rest of us look bad.

Sincerely,
Veterans
I suppose it may technically be charged that this fellow unlawfully appropriated the corn muffin which he gave to someone whom he felt could use a free muffin. But while the word "stealing" might work in court it simply doesn't work in my thinking. And even if Cracker Barrel had their gold-plated lawyers compel a prosecution for "theft," I'm sure that no jury would find Joe guilty of that specification, nor would any judge sentence him to more than one day's probation -- and probably would suspend it.

But I would like to know the specific circumstances of the other four times this fellow was reprimanded for "stealing" food. And I might be encumbered by old-fashioned values but I believe someone who works in a place where food is sold should be allowed to eat some of that food. It just seems right.

I will concede that giving an employer's food away to others is quite another thing. But if it's done repeatedly, even if it's motivated by a sense of charity, while it does qualify as grounds for dismissal I cannot assign the word or the concept of "stealing" to it. It just doesn't fit in my thinking where food is concerned.

Dear Joe,

Sincerely,
Veterans
I suppose it may technically be charged that this fellow unlawfully appropriated the corn muffin which he gave to someone whom he felt could use a free muffin. But while the word "stealing" might work in court it simply doesn't work in my thinking. And even if Cracker Barrel had their gold-plated lawyers compel a prosecution for "theft," I'm sure that no jury would find Joe guilty of that specification, nor would any judge sentence him to more than one day's probation -- and probably would suspend it.

But I would like to know the specific circumstances of the other four times this fellow was reprimanded for "stealing" food. And I might be encumbered by old-fashioned values but I believe someone who works in a place where food is sold should be allowed to eat some of that food. It just seems right.

I will concede that giving an employer's food away to others is quite another thing. But if it's done repeatedly, even if it's motivated by a sense of charity, while it does qualify as grounds for dismissal I cannot assign the word or the concept of "stealing" to it. It just doesn't fit in my thinking where food is concerned.

I agree that "stealing" doesn't fit.

Dear Joe,

Sincerely,
Veterans

This may come as a shock to you but "food" to a restaurant is a PRODUCT. A product that is FOR SALE. If an employee or a customer leaves the premises without paying for the PRODUCT - it is stealing. No different from any other retail establishment.

This man is NOT a "victim". He is a THIEF.

Dear Joe,

Sincerely,
Veterans

The unidentified man came through the door and “asked [if] I had any mayonnaise and some tartar sauce,” Koblenzer said. “He said he was going to cook a fish.”

“I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in” the same bag. Shortly thereafter, the restaurant’s general manager called him into his office and said he was fired

It also seems the person he gave free food to wasn't starvin' Marvin.

Man Fired From Cracker Barrel For Giving Away Muffin | www.ktvu.com

This may come as a shock to you but "food" to a restaurant is a PRODUCT. A product that is FOR SALE. If an employee or a customer leaves the premises without paying for the PRODUCT - it is stealing. No different from any other retail establishment.

I have to agree with this.

article-2671019-1F2759BD00000578-463_634x338.jpg

A 73-year-old Vietnam veteran was fired from a Cracker Barrel earlier this month after giving a corn muffin to a man he thought looked homeless.

Earlier this month, Joe Koblenzer was working his shift at a Cracker Barrel in Venice, Florida, when a man walked in and asked if he could have some condiments. Koblenzer loaded a few packets into a bag and added a corn muffin as well.

"He looked a little needy. He asked if I had any mayonnaise and some tarter sauce," Koblenzer told ABC local affiliate WWSB. "He said he was going to cook a fish. ... I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in."

Not long after, Koblenzer was let go from his job.

MORE: Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Florida veteran, 73, loses his job at Cracker Barrel for giving a muffin to a homeless man | Mail Online

I realize something like this could get out of hand, but I don't think anyone should be fired for such inexpensive good will.

It sucks but he admits he had been written up 5 times in the past for eating food himself or giving away free food.

Koblenzer admitted he'd been written up multiple times in the past for similar incidents, and he says rules are rules.

During the time he was employed, he violated the Company's policies regarding consuming food without paying or giving away free food, on five separate occasions

AOL.com Article - Veteran fired from Cracker Barrel for giving homeless man a muffin

While I don't agree with his giving a corn muffin away and being fired, unfortunately it seems like it was a pattern for him. I don't know what the other instances were but if he was not ringing up food and giving it to customers for better tips, etc. and this was the last straw who knows?

Dear Joe,

Sincerely,
Veterans

So if you have a family gathering that is catered are you going to be okay with the buffet workers giving food you bought intended to feed your family be given to homeless folks walking around the neighborhood? Not leftovers, food laid out and paid for by you.

You wouldn't call that stealing?

A 73-year-old Vietnam veteran was fired from a Cracker Barrel earlier this month after giving a corn muffin to a man he thought looked homeless.

Earlier this month, Joe Koblenzer was working his shift at a Cracker Barrel in Venice, Florida, when a man walked in and asked if he could have some condiments. Koblenzer loaded a few packets into a bag and added a corn muffin as well.

"He looked a little needy. He asked if I had any mayonnaise and some tarter sauce," Koblenzer told ABC local affiliate WWSB. "He said he was going to cook a fish. ... I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in."

Florida veteran, 73, loses his job at Cracker Barrel for giving a muffin to a homeless man | Mail Online

I realize something like this could get out of hand, but I don't think anyone should be fired for such inexpensive good will.

Saw this the other day. Great PR move by Cracker Barrel. Fucking idyots.

Saw this the other day. Great PR move by Cracker Barrel. Fucking idyots.

They had absolutely no choice. I just went over this. Because of the belief system that you can sue your employer over all kinds of crap.... they had no choice but to fire this guy.

If they did not.... and some other guy starts handing out food to his buddies out the back door, and they fired him.... he would sue and in court point out that they didn't fire this guy, and win millions of dollars.

What happened here is the natural result of our left-wing fight the employer attitude. If they didn't fire him, that next that steals a bunch of food, would sue when fired, and win millions.

So they had NO CHOICE but to fire this guy. That's all there is to it.

I have to agree with this.

And by the way...... what's lost in all this is.....

This was Venice, FL. There are more than a few food pantries and homeless shelters, and places that a truly needy homeless person could get 3 meals a day.

Salvation Army of Venice
Salvation Army of Venice - Salvation Army of Venice Venice Florida | Food Resource Food Pantry, Soup Kitchen, or Food Bank

Trinity Presbyterian Church
Venice, FL
Trinity Presbyterian Church - Trinity Presbyterian Church Venice Florida | Food Resource Food Pantry, Soup Kitchen, or Food Bank

South County Food Pantry
South County Food Pantry

Center of Hope Venice
The Center of Hope ? Where Shattered Dreams and Broken Lives are Restored

I counted 6 charity food places in this little city of 20,000 people.

SIX.

Um.... you know, I think the beggar could have found more than enough food elsewhere, without begging from Cracker Barrel.

Cracker Barrel is a bit over priced, and it is hard to eat a meal with all the hawking of non food items. Local breakfast places in my area are cheaper, the food as good or better.

In NC we go to the small family owned hole in the wall places , good cooking and inexpensive for breakfast

You won't see a proliferation of these kinds of places due to regulations. Starting a business now is harder than ever.

The government system is set up to foment the large corporations and Cracker Barrel is going to do just fine.

Thanks democrats.

That inexpensive good will can add up pretty fast. Most restaurants have a policy on who can give out food without paying for it. If he had paid for it there wouldn't have been a problem. It might have slipped his mind, but he really should pay for something that doesn't belong to him before he gives it away.

That's right, it wasn't his to give. This is the liberal version of charity, take from Joe to feed Jane, but don't cover the expense yourself. I would have paid for the muffin and given it to the guy.

Dear Joe,

Sincerely,
Veterans

I get your point, but "unlawfully appropriated" is nothing but a euphemism for stealing.

The Good Book says:

Luke 16:10 New International Version (NIV)

“Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much."

An honest man would have immediately paid, or informed someone of his intention to pay.

And this is just the time he was caught. Who knows how many other times he has stolen and not been caught.

He has lost the trust of his employer...and based on the article, they gave him multiple opportunities.

I don't see what choice they had but to let him go.

Dear Joe,

Sincerely,
Veterans

Randall,

You're probably right. But I would call him a thief only if he were materially benefiting from the corn muffin transaction. As it is, if I were on the jury I would nullify.

Re: his eating some Cracker Barrel food while working there as a server; I find it hard to believe Cracker Barrel would consider that stealing -- or that it would be against the rules. It's simply not the same as working for a jeweler and taking home a watch. While food is indeed a product, it is not a product in the same way a watch is a product.

Randall,

You're probably right. But I would call him a thief only if he were materially benefiting from the corn muffin transaction. As it is, if I were on the jury I would nullify.

Re: his eating some Cracker Barrel food while working there as a server; I find it hard to believe Cracker Barrel would consider that stealing -- or that it would be against the rules. It's simply not the same as working for a jeweler and taking home a watch. While food is indeed a product, it is not a product in the same way a watch is a product.

....What?

So if I break into your home, steal all your stuff, and then donate it all to charity.....................................

Since I didn't 'materially benefit', then you would be perfectly cool with that?

May I ask where you live?

Because I have had my home burglarized, and I'm sure the people who stole my stuff would love to know where you are, given they donated my money to charity. (the police found cashed checks given to a charity... not kidding).

Not joking I couldn't make up stuff like this.

No no no no..... sorry. You are full of CRAP. If you take ANYTHING THAT IS NOT YOURS.... you are a thief. You are a criminal, who deserves jail time, let alone being fired.

Forum List

Back