Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
article-2671019-1F2759BD00000578-463_634x338.jpg

A 73-year-old Vietnam veteran was fired from a Cracker Barrel earlier this month after giving a corn muffin to a man he thought looked homeless.

Earlier this month, Joe Koblenzer was working his shift at a Cracker Barrel in Venice, Florida, when a man walked in and asked if he could have some condiments. Koblenzer loaded a few packets into a bag and added a corn muffin as well.

"He looked a little needy. He asked if I had any mayonnaise and some tarter sauce," Koblenzer told ABC local affiliate WWSB. "He said he was going to cook a fish. ... I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in."

Not long after, Koblenzer was let go from his job.

MORE: Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Florida veteran, 73, loses his job at Cracker Barrel for giving a muffin to a homeless man | Mail Online

I realize something like this could get out of hand, but I don't think anyone should be fired for such inexpensive good will.

A 73-year-old Vietnam veteran was fired from a Cracker Barrel earlier this month after giving a corn muffin to a man he thought looked homeless.

Earlier this month, Joe Koblenzer was working his shift at a Cracker Barrel in Venice, Florida, when a man walked in and asked if he could have some condiments. Koblenzer loaded a few packets into a bag and added a corn muffin as well.

"He looked a little needy. He asked if I had any mayonnaise and some tarter sauce," Koblenzer told ABC local affiliate WWSB. "He said he was going to cook a fish. ... I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in."

I realize something like this could get out of hand, but I don't think anyone should be fired for such inexpensive good will.

If true, no more CB for me.

If true, no more CB for me.

Cracker barrel is an ordinary corporate food chain and as such should be avoided at all costs.

Well, Go do something about it.

It's from hufferpufferpost so who knows if it's true

The name of that place says it all

The name of that place says it all

Huffington post can err, as can all media outlets, but if correct, Cracker Barrel stands for miserly. Guno, have you heard about the persecution of Mariam Ibrahim, a Christian woman originally sentenced to DEATH in Sudan. International pressure for her released and 'journey' to the US embassy, but Sudan's laws remain draconian, and virulently anti-Christian.

If the government had just performed its proper role and taken over this corporation the moment it was founded, this never would've happened.

More evidence that true, complete, total communism is the only economic system that can ever work.

The space below this post is reserved for capitalist pig butthurt.

Pretty crappy to fire a 73 year old worker for giving away an inedible "muffin".

I ate there once. Just vile slop. I think they run everything through a blender.

Taco Bell has some strick rules too. Foods that are made and are incorrect..and not even eaten by the patron, must be weighed then tossed. At the end of the shift, total mistakes are logged, then disposed of so it is inedible. No helping homeless or starving people.....it gets tossed so the seagulls and other vermin at the dump can feast instead.

Personally, I think its pretty sad that a man gets fired for giving ONE muffin to someone...or that Taco Bell and other fast food places hoard what cannot be served and make sure critters get to eat what humans need.

that is ridiculous. though i don't why the vet didn't just pay CB for the price of the muffin. would you guys feel the same if he took the muffin for himself?

Taco Bell has some strick rules too. Foods that are made and are incorrect..and not even eaten by the patron, must be weighed then tossed. At the end of the shift, total mistakes are logged, then disposed of so it is inedible. No helping homeless or starving people.....it gets tossed so the seagulls and other vermin at the dump can feast instead.

Personally, I think its pretty sad that a man gets fired for giving ONE muffin to someone...or that Taco Bell and other fast food places hoard what cannot be served and make sure critters get to eat what humans need.

the reason TB does that is because they could get sued if the food makes someone ill.

Cracker Barrel is a bit over priced, and it is hard to eat a meal with all the hawking of non food items. Local breakfast places in my area are cheaper, the food as good or better.

In NC we go to the small family owned hole in the wall places , good cooking and inexpensive for breakfast

No more CB for me, and if someone who is hungry and acts like LiberalMedia, well, who knows.

Stop McD's, BurgerKing, Taco Smell too. They all have policies where one cannot have compassion.

Ah listen up, schools can't give out food left over because guess why?

GOVERNMENT regulation

but hey, for one: who knows if this story is true
and two the op doesn't care.. His threads are for one reason and that's to watch you all get your panties all in bunch

oh well, keep falling for it

Ah listen up, schools can't give out food left over because guess why?

GOVERNMENT regulation

but hey, for one: who knows if this story is true
and two the op doesn't care.. His threads are for one reason and that's to watch you all get your panties all in bunch

oh well, keep falling for it

Hey, dumbass, just Google it. It's everywhere...

It could be that Joe's firing is a result of age discrimination. Cracker Barrel seems to have a history of discrimination:

Racial and sexual discrimination

During the 1990s, the company was the subject of controversy for its official stance against gay and lesbian employees and for discriminatory practices against African American and female employees. A U.S. Department of Justice investigation found Cracker Barrel discriminated against minority customers; patrons complained of racially segregated seating and service quality. In an agreement with the Department of Justice, Cracker Barrel has implemented non-discrimination policies, and pledged to focus on improving minority representation and civic involvement, particularly in the black community. Company shareholders added sexual orientation to the company's non-discrimination policy in 2002.

In July 1999, a discrimination lawsuit was filed against Cracker Barrel by a group of former employees, who claimed that the company had discriminated against them on the grounds of race.[73][74] In December 2001, twenty-one of the restaurant's customers, represented by the same attorneys, filed a separate lawsuit, alleging racial discrimination in its treatment of guests.[75][76][77] Regarding both accusations, Cracker Barrel officials disputed the claims and stated that the company was committed to fair treatment of its employees and customers.[74][76][78]

In 2004, an investigation by the U.S. Justice Department found evidence that Cracker Barrel had been segregating customer seating by race; seating or serving white customers before seating or serving black customers; providing inferior service to black customers, and allowing white servers to refuse to wait on black customers.[79] The Justice Department determined that the firm had violated Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The company was required to sign a five-year agreement to introduce "effective nondiscrimination policies and procedures". The terms included new equal opportunity training; the creation of a new system to log, investigate and resolve complaints of discrimination; and the publicizing of its non-discrimination policies. They were required to hire an outside auditor to ensure compliance with the terms of the settlement.[80]

In 2006, Cracker Barrel paid a $2 million settlement to end a suit alleging race and sexual harassment at three Illinois restaurants.[81][82] Cracker Barrel stores subsequently began displaying a sign in the front foyer explaining the company's non-discrimination policy,[79] and added the policy and details of how to make a complaint to its menu and website.[83]

Since the early 2000s, Cracker Barrel has provided training and resources to minority employees, to improve its image on diversity. These efforts involved beginning outreach to minority employees, along with testing a training plan to help employees whose first language is Spanish to learn English.[52] As of 2002, minorities made up 23 percent of the company's employees, including over 11 percent of its management and executives.[53] Cracker Barrel is on the Corporate Advisory Board for the Texas Conference of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP),[84] and is a corporate sponsor of the NAACP Leadership 500 Summit, where three of its officials were moderators and panelists in May 2011.[85] The company has been praised for its gender diversity, particularly on its board of directors, which includes three women out of eleven total board members.[86] Its chief executive officer, Sandra Cochran, is the second woman in Tennessee to hold that office in a publicly traded company.[86]

MORE: Cracker Barrel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back