• Not money but I assist in other ways

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Judge orders couple to turn over money they raised for homeless man

A lawyer for Johnny Bobbitt said she's 'very concerned' that much of the cash is gone.

by Dennis Romero / Aug.30.2018 / 8:52 PM ET
180830-johnny-bobbitt-katie-mcclure-mark-damico-homeless_vet_ffa_frame_2022-ac-1056p_54d1d4d39a709bce207db744e5029191.fit-760w.jpg

Kate McClure, of Florence, New Jersey, and her boyfriend Mark D'Amico raised the funds for Johnny Bobbitt, the homeless vet, after he gave McClure his last $20 when she ran out of gas while driving in Philadelphia. The couple then put together a GoFundMe page that went viral but, 10 months later, Bobbitt's lawyer told NBC News that her client is back on the streets because D'Amico and McClure are withholding the funds.NBC News

A judge ordered a New Jersey couple Thursday to give a homeless Philadelphia man whatever's left of the $400,000 they raised for him.

Katie McClure and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, were told by the Burlington, New Jersey, judge to turn over the remaining money they raised through a GoFundMe campaign for Johnny Bobbitt, according to NBC Philadelphia.

The judge also demanded that McClure and D'Amico provide a full accounting of each dollar they collected, the station reported.

Bobbitt inspired the fundraising campaign after he gave McClure his last $20 when she ran out of gas on a freeway exit ramp last November outside Philadelphi

Couple speaks out after homeless man who they raised money for accuses them of stealing
Aug.27.201810:50
The relationship soured, and Bobbitt claimed in court that the money — nearly $403,000 raised from about 14,000 online donors — never fully ended up in his possession.

D'Amico told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he withheld the cash because the veteran allegedly has a drug problem. The couple initially purchased a camper for Bobbit to live in and placed it on property controlled by McClure's family. But Bobbitt was kicked out in June, making him homeless again, according to NBC Philadelphia.​

Good for Bobbit and his attorney to require an accounting for the funds and for them to pay up. If they raised the money for him, then he is the one entitled to it or the benefits from it.

But the questions do arise.....if he's homeless where'd he get the $20 to pay for her gas? AND where'd he get the funds for an attorney??? He doesn't seem so helpless afterall.

A lawyer for Johnny Bobbitt said she's 'very concerned' that much of the cash is gone.

180830-johnny-bobbitt-katie-mcclure-mark-damico-homeless_vet_ffa_frame_2022-ac-1056p_54d1d4d39a709bce207db744e5029191.fit-760w.jpg

Kate McClure, of Florence, New Jersey, and her boyfriend Mark D'Amico raised the funds for Johnny Bobbitt, the homeless vet, after he gave McClure his last $20 when she ran out of gas while driving in Philadelphia. The couple then put together a GoFundMe page that went viral but, 10 months later, Bobbitt's lawyer told NBC News that her client is back on the streets because D'Amico and McClure are withholding the funds.NBC News

A judge ordered a New Jersey couple Thursday to give a homeless Philadelphia man whatever's left of the $400,000 they raised for him.

Katie McClure and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico, were told by the Burlington, New Jersey, judge to turn over the remaining money they raised through a GoFundMe campaign for Johnny Bobbitt, according to NBC Philadelphia.

The judge also demanded that McClure and D'Amico provide a full accounting of each dollar they collected, the station reported.

Bobbitt inspired the fundraising campaign after he gave McClure his last $20 when she ran out of gas on a freeway exit ramp last November outside Philadelphi

Couple speaks out after homeless man who they raised money for accuses them of stealing
The relationship soured, and Bobbitt claimed in court that the money — nearly $403,000 raised from about 14,000 online donors — never fully ended up in his possession.

D'Amico told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he withheld the cash because the veteran allegedly has a drug problem. The couple initially purchased a camper for Bobbit to live in and placed it on property controlled by McClure's family. But Bobbitt was kicked out in June, making him homeless again, according to NBC Philadelphia.​

Wow, they should be made to do 500 each of public service, service to homeless shelters.

Good for Bobbit and his attorney to require an accounting for the funds and for them to pay up. If they raised the money for him, then he is the one entitled to it or the benefits from it.

But the questions do arise.....if he's homeless where'd he get the $20 to pay for her gas? AND where'd he get the funds for an attorney??? He doesn't seem so helpless afterall.

Really , so lets say someone has 20 bucks on them, and they can have an apt, food, elec , heat, etc??

Ever hear of attorneys that take a case pro bono.

When I first heard about the problems he was having I figured that maybe the couple were surprised & a bit overwhelmed by the amount of money that came in and were probably thinking "we did this, we set it up, we should be able to benefit some as well". The problem though, in my opinion, is when you ask people to donate money for a specific purpose, in this case, to help this gentleman get back on his feet, then to use the money for any other purpose strays into the territory of fraud.

The other thing that bothered me a bit about the story is when they mentioned they gave him $25,000 and he spent it in 2 weeks. If they were going to play the role of "parents" they should have either personally or hired someone to locate suitable housing for him, put the money to pay for it into an account specifically for that purpose and have the payments go out automatically. They could also have set up the same things for this utility payments. Now how to manage his day to day needs and spending, that would take a bit more effort and require consulting with him but it's sad that the intervention of an attorney was required and that there is only $150,000 out of $400,000 left.

According to what is said about the man in the write up that the link takes you to, in my opinion, he may not even deserve one dime of the gathered loot which is why the majority of it was never given to him. The write up says that he is no stranger to drugs and within two weeks of getting twenty five thousand dollars of gathered money, he was once again in the need of more. My question for him is what was that twenty five grand spent on?

God bless you and the couple who were willing to hep him always!!!

Holly

P.S. To answer the asked question about my own personal experience, I did one time give a person five dollars and five years ago exactly my home was finally cleared of the bed bugs that were left behind by someone I was nice enough to take in for a few days after they were kicked out of the local homeless shelter. For the record, no one else has been welcome to my home in such a way ever since, not even a family member and its because a family member is who left the bed bugs behind which are not cheap to get rid of. The money that family member owes me for the mess that they left behind in my home still has yet to be handed over to me and because of where that person is now, jail that is, I most definitely will not be seeing it anytime soon.

They should give him the money. The court made the correct ruling.

Poll question is irrelevant to the issue.

The money donated was for the man............not for them.......the Judge is correct...

And that is fucked up.....to do a fund for the man and then keep it..........slam them Judge.

Wow, they should be made to do 500 each of public service, service to homeless shelters.
Everything the federal government does is dishonest

The money donated was for the man............not for them.......the Judge is correct...

And that is fucked up.....to do a fund for the man and then keep it..........slam them Judge.
In my opinion, if the couple can prove that the man is only going to spend the money on what he is said to be no stranger to, drugs that is, every last penny of the loot should be given to those who really need it. The couple could be who decides on what organization to give it to.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital would be my choice.

In my opinion, if the couple can prove that the man is only going to spend the money on what he is said to be no stranger to, drugs that is, every last penny of the loot should be given to those who really need it. The couple could be who decides on what organization to give it to.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital would be my choice.
I respectfully disagree..........those who donated to the GoFundme page donated to this guy..............

They didn't give it to them for anything else...........so it would be misappropriation of funds.

^^^ Which is why I think another good move to make would be leaving a message on the Go Fund Me page letting people know where the money ends up at the end of the day and why.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back